Zooming into the Lonely Mountain itself gives a great ominous foreboding, just like it did with Fellowship. It's also a much more elegant ending than zooming into the eye (which is more of a cheap children's blockbuster ending).

without using tricks like showing Shelob's eyes opening at the end of TTT or things like that.

Except Shelob is not the main villian, a better example would be zooming into the Eye of Sauron.

The eye of Smaug idea reminds me too much of the ending to the movie adaption of Eragon.

I would prefer seeing the treasure and perhaps the back/shadow of Smaug, than his eye.

without using tricks like showing Shelob's eyes opening at the end of TTT or things like that.

Except Shelob is not the main villian, a better example would be zooming into the Eye of Sauron.

They DID linger on Barad-Dur and Orodruin in the final shot of Two Towers, and it was EPIC.

Both the endings of TTT and FotR were elegant great endings. But zooming into the villains eye is just so darn cheap. Showing us a glimpse of the Lonely Mountain is more in line with the old trilogy.

Yeah, but they didn't zoom on Sauron's eye. Just show the Lonely Mountain and be done with it.

Whit Fier Comn oit adn ohter epik stuffz!

Maybe they should finish with a shot of Radagast feeding his bunnies, would you like that?

They should have a camera in the theatre, when BloodBoal sits there at the premiere, with all people long gone, muttering "I have seen ... the eye!"

Oh, Bag End is huge! I remember "The Hobbit" describing many, many rooms in its opening chapter, but PJ didn't need to show them all in FOTR or ROTK.

The entrance to Bag End was a perfectly round green door featuring a brass knob in the center. The entryway was a tube-shaped hall with paneled walls and a tiled floor, furnished with carpeting, polished chairs, and an abundance of pegs for the hats and coats of many visitors. The tunnel continued into the hill with side doors that were also round. All of the rooms were on the same level – bedrooms, bathrooms, cellars, multiple pantries, wardrobes, kitchens, and dining rooms. The best rooms were those on the left side of the passage for they had deep-set round windows with a view of the garden and meadows beyond down to The Water.

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Bag_End

It's been a long time since I've read The Hobbit. I wonder if we'll see more of Bag End in the new movie

It is great that PJ and the film makers get to show us more of the Bag End as we really did see only a few select glimpses of it in the LotR trilogy. And yes Bag End is a very big Hobbit dwelling by the standards of the Shire, home of a rich family, almost like a manor house, which Bilbo's father Bungo had made perhaps unnecessarily sumptuous and too big for such a small family as he had. So it was a large building with many more rooms than Bilbo needed but I am curious to see how much of the Hobbit hole they have created for these new films.

I see that among the paranaphelia Weta is putting out for sale from the Hobbit is the key to the secret door on the Lonely Mountain. Looks pretty ornate and properly Dwarven. :)

Those posters look really cheap, especially the first one in your post. I know they want the posters chock full of stuff but there doesn't seem to be much effor to blend the images together.

Christopher Lee still looks great in that lower poster but actually all the stars of the previous trilogy do.

But how can you tell it is Bolg in the first poster BloodBoal and not say Azog?

I knew it! You are Peter Jackson! That would explain everything, especially your obsessive self loathing way of putting down the details of these films! :o

Oh no, he was just glad to be rid of such a large project. He can now focus on horror movies with animatronics and stuff.

Those posters look fanmade, especially the second one. I mean surely they could have done a better job of blending the images together. They look awful.

It's real (it has some unreleased pictures included in it). And so is this one, unfortunately:

tumblr_mb7y6t4Hua1rvlyq1o1_400.jpg

It seems Kili will be the main character of the story.

Haven't you heard? Kili is the new Aragorn!

And here is the poster Michael posted, in slightly higher quality:

Hobbit-81.jpg

Both are really ugly. They really look cheap and amateur (well, the second one not as much as the first one).

Why the hell is Saruman posing like that in the middle?....He looks liks some villain from some old kids show.

Really shoddy job here.

Because you can see fans creating gorgeous paintings that are better than the hack jobs made by paid profesional marketing departments.

And on this ocasion, even if I'm not the biggest fan of floating heads posters, we have sen nothing that rivals the ones for LOTR. Those were very pretty.

Labors of love that fanboys make for free in their spare time often do tend to be better than what the professionals make on a shoestring budget with a deadline with 47 other projects in the pipeline. That's the way it works.

I'm not saying these posters look good - they don't - I'm just saying sometimes people act like the film's quality depends on them.

KotCS had great posters. And how did that end?

And on this ocasion, even if I'm not the biggest fan of floating heads posters, we have sen nothing that rivals the ones for LOTR. Those were very pretty.

false. the first hobbit poster is prettier than all the TTT posters combined.

That was a great poster with a hint of mystery and sense of anticipation. A perfect teaser poster.

If that poster is real, then aside from the dodgy composition and curious focus on Saruman, I'm frankly astounded at how well they've apparently made Lee look.

My thought exactly. Can't wait to see more of him, though. I'm a huge Christopher Lee fan.

I've never liked floating head posters much either, but LotR had some really nice ones. This is just awful...it looks some really dated kids show from the late 90s/early 2000s, NOT what's supposed to be the biggest film of the year.