Do you like the Danger Mtoif?

Indiana_Fett

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't bother me in Wrath of Khan or Aliens, but in his more recent scores it's intolerable. He doesn't even attempt to cover it up or do a variation on it!

Ah, I know what you're talking about. Yeah, like much of Horner's work, it sounds pretty nice in the first score you hear it...but when you hear it again in an entirely different movie, and then again in another ad nauseum, it starts getting a little old. Pity.

I haven't listened to a lot of Horner's stuff, the only scores I've listened are Willow, Rocketeer and The Land before time. It works quite well in Willow I think, although since everyone is saying it appears in Wrath of Khan (which I haven't listened) I guess it's not the first time he used it, but it fits quite well in Willow. I was surprised to hear it in Land before time though.

These days my Horner listening is limited mostly to scores he wrote before 1990 and even then it's only a few scores.

So he can use the danger motif all he wants.

As a side note, didn't he actually steal it from a concert work? Wouldn't surprise me at all if he did.

It's from Rachmaninoff's 1st Symphony.

It's from Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen.

As a side note, didn't he actually steal it from a concert work? Wouldn't surprise me at all if he did.

It's from Rachmaninoff's 1st Symphony.

That's not what they said on the FSM Podcast.

The danger motif is way, way past its prime. I don't know why Horner keeps using it.

For the same reason he used it the second, third, fourth, fifth, etc....... times.

Wasn't there already a thread like this where we established that the notes used in Rachmaninoff's 1st Symphony, while similar, are not the same? Either that or I'm losing it even more than I thought.

It is? ROTFLMAO Where?

Granted, the third note is a semitone off, but otherwise, the first four notes of the Unmuth motif are the same, and they're all over the place beginning with Die Walküre. It signifies uneasiness, more or less, and thus has a similar purpose as the danger motif. And in the second act of Walküre, it's played nearly non-stop throughout.

Marian - who also recalls briefly hearing it in Parsifal.

Wasn't there already a thread like this where we established that the notes used in Rachmaninoff's 1st Symphony, while similar, are not the same? Either that or I'm losing it even more than I thought.

Well, there was this thread.

Not really worth merging, though.

But the time it was used in Zorry, it's already a Horner Cliche.

And that theme combined with the frequent Shakahuchi blasts makes parts of Zorro suddenly turn into music from Willow.

Every time that happens i'm completely trown out of what is otherwise a fairly enjoyable score.

When I first started listenign to Horner I thought he was an excellent composer. And then, after the third score or so, I suddenly started suffering from deja vu. Oftentimes I thought I had the wrong CD in the player. ;)

It's quite a good motif, but it ought to have been laid to rest 20 years ago. I'd probably dislike the Imperial March also if Williams had used it in half his movies after 1980.

Actually it would be more similar if Williams used the Boba Fett motif over and over.

if Williams used the Imperial March over and over he might not get that much work.