Best action music

tpigeon

vote for your favorite action piece  

51 members have voted

1. 1.

• The Battle of Yavin (Star Wars)
    • The Desert Chase (Raiders of the Lost Ark)
    • The Battle of Hoth (The Empire Strikes Back)
    • The Ultimate War (Hook)
    • Scherzo For Motorcycle and Orchestra (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade)
    • The Land Race (Far and Away)
    • T-Rex Rescue and Finale (Jurassic Park)
    • Tavington's Trap (The Patriot)
    • The Battle of Endor Part I (Return of the Jedi)
    • Duel of the Fates (The Phantom Menace)
    • The Chase Through Coruscant (Attack of the Clones)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i tried to get some diversity in this poll, like some cues that are rarely discussed but are amazing action cues nonetheless. one of these cues is Tavington's trap, one of the most furious pieces of music Mr. Williams has ever written.

I voted for Battle of Yavin, though I wish I had voted for Battle of Hoth, only because I'm going to assume that that piece of music continues on to when Vader enters the base and Han and Leia are trying to escape. That three minutes or so is great writing, what with the interchanging of themes and all.

Should DOTF even be in this poll?

It's a album track, it was not written for any scene in the film.

Stefancos- who voted for Hoth.

You would have prefered the Battle for Naboo?

Luke, who is shocked becasue the Battle of geonosis was not included :baaa:

Anyways it is difficult ot decide, specially the SW ones :baaa:

'Twas a close match between The Desert Chase and the Star Wars options (Classic Trilogy of course. :baaa: )

However Desert Chase won. :baaa:

Justin -Listening to Far and Away. :fouetaa:

Ray, i LOVE the Land Race. i remember hearing that for the first time and being totally blown away by it. it just keeps building and building right up until it's more than satisfying climax. it's definitely one of my favorites. :music:

Well, I picked Battle of Yavin because of the climatic scenes just fit well....there's a kind of tone that illustrates the youthful quality with Luke all excited with his first real battle....that is not there in Battle of Hoth/Endor's dark undertones..

Battle of Yavin by a long shot... from that moment where the Force theme blasts in with just the brass playing different lines in counterpoint to the climactic ending, it always has me spellbound. This is also the best set of variations on the Force theme (Binary Sunset nothwithstanding).

Desert Chase is a close second, but it peters out at the end and I always feel a little let down by the cue, like it needed a better ending.

Not so with The Asteroid Field, I prefer the original ending to the concert version, but it's too short a cue to compete with the biggies.

Battle of Hoth is great in a "modern music" way for the first few minutes, amazing orchestration and driving rhythm, and not a character theme in sight, until it segues into the next cues which are also amazing.

I haven't heard all these cues e.g The Land Race and it's been ages since I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark and I've never listened to the soundtrack on its own. I voted for The Battle of Hoth because at 14-odd minutes it is simply AMAZING. Words do not begin to describe... My favourite part is that exhilaratingly frenetic piece when the snowspeeders attack. WOW. Of course the other Star Wars (original trilogy) cues come second. I also love Sail Barge Assualt form Return of the Jedi which is an excellent combination of previously written themes, capped off with a sensational 'escape' motif. And I agree with Tavington's Trap which really does get the blood pumping. Oh and Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra is great too.

CYPHER

- good poll, lots of choice :angry:

I also love Sail Barge Assualt form Return of the Jedi which is an excellent combination of previously written themes, capped off with a sensational 'escape' motif

I love that motif as well. We just hear it a few times including some variations, over and out for a spectacular coda, then we never hear it again in the score...

Land Race all the way!!!!! It's so amazing! I didn't see "Far and Away" but I simply feel the space around me, wind on my face and the adrenaline in my veins listening to this piece! AWESOME!!!!

Aghem

Desert Chase. I don't really have too high of opinions on the other tracks listed, I think Williams has done better.

But damn...how long is Desert Chase? Just doesn't let up and perfectly scores what's happening in the movie. God, I love that movie...

well, so far The Battle of Hoth and The Desert Chase are neck and neck, with a few others close behind. much to my surprise, Scherzo is ahead of Yavin as well. i hope more votes come in and i'm glad to see that just about everything has been voted for. i'm also quite surprised that Endor Part I has yet to be voted for.

Ted

I voted for Battle of Yavin, though I wish I had voted for Battle of Hoth, only because I'm going to assume that that piece of music continues on to when Vader enters the base and Han and Leia are trying to escape. That three minutes or so is great writing, what with the interchanging of themes and all.

I EXACTELY THOUGH THE SAME WAY !!!

:wow:

:oops: Okay I acknowledge that I probably am missing out on some excellent John Williams, what with never having listened to the musical score to Raiders of the Lost Ark (or the other two Indy movies for that matter :wow: ). Since it's written between The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi (which are two of my favourite Williams scores) I'm sure it's right up there with the best. My excuse is that I'm waiting to see the movies again before I listen to the scores on their own, and I'm not going to see the movies until they are available in a format that does them justice: on the bigscreen or on widescreen DVD. Then I'll probably add to my collection (though I get the impression that these soundtracks are hard to find?). So it won't happen overnight, but it will happen.

CYPHER - who is also surprised by zero votes for the Battle of Endor I which I like very, very much (but not as much as the Battle of Hoth).

Aye! I concur. They're both excellent, and anyone who likes one probably likes the other, but it just so happens that Hoth wins out.

CYPHER