How many movies scored by John Williams have you watched?

Omen II

How many films scored by John Williams have you watched?  

43 members have voted

1. 1.

• 0-9
    • 10-19
    • 20-29
    • 30-39
    • 40-49
    • 50-59
    • 60-69
    • 70 or more

It is easy for us die-hard John Williams fans to overlook the fact that most of his music was written to accompany films.

While most of us are likely to have seen Star Wars and Jurassic Park, how many can claim to have seen I Passed for White or The Plainsman?

Indicate how many JW movies you have watched. For a movie to qualify, you must have watched the whole film from beginning to end and you cannot count TV programmes. Let's see who's the most square-eyed!

To get the ball rolling, I have watched 63 of Johnny's films. A pretty good tally, but I'm sure others can beat that.

Damien :mrgreen: - wondering if there are any JW films that none of the board members has seen...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen almost every Williams scored film since 1970. From the 60's scores I think I've only watched How To Steal a Million. And there are a few from the 70's that I haven't seen... Yet. From the 80's I've never been able to see Heartbeeps, Yes Giorgio and Space Camp.

I'm going to say in the range of 50-59, because I have seen almost all of the movies post-1972, except for "Images," "Pete 'n' Tillie," "The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing," "The Long Goodbye," "Conrack," "Family Plot," "The Missouri Breaks," "The Fury"(sorry Marian), "Dracula" and "Yes, Giorgio." One of these days I'll find them at a mom-and-pop video store or on cable.

I can't work out for certain how many I've seen at this point in time but I think it's only around 23-4. Which is kinda pathetic I guess. But I too am a child of the 80s! And I am saving some to appreciate later in life instead of over-saturating myself at present. And by the way I think this is a great poll Omen II: one should never forget the Williams principally wrote his music for these films and I think that they can be best appreciated having seen the individual movies and scenes they scored. Though of course, sometimes the music is better than the scene its scored for, if you know what I mean :baaa:

CYPHER

Wait a sec...i thought i haden't seen all that many williams scored movies,but it's more than I thought..

Missed:

60' comedies he scored.(I rarely go for those old comedies,but watched recently by accident"The seven Year Itch"...now i know why Marylin Monroe is an idol! :angry: )

The Reivers

The Cowboys

Heidi

Jane Eyre

Earthquake(well saw parts of it)

Eiger Sanction

The Fury

Heartbeeps.

Stanley and Iris

Sabrina

Stepmom

Rosewood

i think thas it...

• 2 weeks later...

While most of us are likely to have seen Star Wars and Jurassic Park, how many can claim to have seen I Passed for White or The Plainsman?

Well I havn't seen those two (My count is 35) but I've seen one of landmark importance taht I doubt anyone else here has. (I am one of the very few people who rated it on imdb)

The movie is 'Daddy O', the very first movie JW scored! It was a terrible movie with an awfuly goofy score, but never the less a landmark one!

To be totaly accurate, probably the earliest thing I saw scored by JW is 'Wagon Train'- I used to watch the reruns every day, so chances are I also saw one of episodes scored by the maestro.

I recently started seeing movie only (or largley) because of JW's participation - that's why I saw Nixon, Sleepers, Presumed Innocent, Poseidon Adventure, Superman, Far and Away, JFK. I think I'll also see Angela's ashes sometime soon.

Funny, unlike most masters, Williams went from as low as a film composer could be to at the top. :) Most have started at the top with their first scores being great.

Funny, unlike most masters, Williams went from as low as a film composer could be to at the top.  8O Most have started at the top with their first scores being great.

Goldsmith has a similar pattern....

and some started with their best scores and went downhill from there(David Arnold,James Horner)

K.M.

Goldsmith.... is still alive, film music has been around for about 4 generations of composers!

1st: Korngold, Steiner, Newman and Waxman.

2nd: Rozsa, Herrmann and North

3rd: Williams, Goldsmith

4th: Horner, Zimmer, Elfman etc

I ended up with 43 titles, more than I thought. There was a time when I felt I HAD to see the film if I owned the score, which became problematic when I got my hands on things like "Heartbeeps", even though I did get my hands on it a few years ago. If anyone wants the video - it's an original copy - I'll gladly trade it!

A good way of obtaining a rare film is to offer the score as a trade. I did this with "Images", which is not available commercially. The picture and sound quality was so-so, but it was interesting to see the film after having heard the score, which I think everyone would agree is unlike anything Williams has done before or after.

As far as the film is concerned: certianly not Altman's best work, but it was worth the effort. Be sure to check out "The Long Goodbye"!

/Claes Grufman

claes.grufman@spray.se

• 3 years later...

I don't exactly know how many movie scored by John William i have seen. I think i've seen about 20-29.

Lets see....um....41

Star Wars

Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

The Phantom Menace

Attack of The Clones

Revenge Of The Sith

Always

Amistad

Born On The Fourth Of July

Catch Me If You Can

Close Encounters of The Third Kind

Cowboys, The

Earthquake

Empire of The Sun

E.T.

Far and Away

Harry Potter and The Philosophers Stone

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Home Alone

Home Alone 2

Hook

Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Jaws

Jaws 2

JFK

Jurassic Park

Jurassic Park - The Lost World

Midway

Minority Report

Patriot, The

Poseidon Adventure, The

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Saving Private Ryan

Schindler's List

Space Camp

Superman

Terminal, The

Towering Inferno, The

Witches of Eastwick

I have watched about 50 or 60 Williams movies. Some early like How to Steal a Million but most from 70's, 80's and 90´s and the new millenium.

31, plus about 4 "iffys" (ones I haven't seen since I was very young, or haven't seen start to finish). Also, I counted Fiddler on the Roof. I'm a little disappointed...I think that number should be higher.

Do repeat viewings count? Then I've probably seen 127,356,849 John Williams scored movies. Wow...that's a lot of film. And I only seen FAMILY PLOT once! :mrgreen: Where are those Hugo Friedhoffer scored movies I miss so much like AN AFFAIR DEFINITELY NOT TO REMEMBER

OK, I've seen

2005 - War of the Worlds

2005 - Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

2004 - The Terminal

2004 - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

2002 - Catch Me If You Can

2002 - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

2002 - Minority Report

2002 - Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

2001 - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

2001 - A.I. Artificial Intelligence

2000 - The Patriot

1999 - Angela's Ashes

1999 - Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

1998 - Stepmom

1998 - Saving Private Ryan

1997 - Amistad

1997 - Seven Years in Tibet

1997 - The Lost World: Jurassic Park

1997 - Rosewood

1996 - Sleepers

1995 - Nixon

1995 - Sabrina

1993 - Schindler's List

1993 - Jurassic Park

1992 - Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

1992 - Far and Away

1991 - JFK

1991 - Hook

1990 - Home Alone

1990 - Presumed Innocent

1990 - Stanley & Iris

1989 - Always

1989 - Born o­n the Fourth of July

1989 - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

1988 - The Accidental Tourist

1987 - Empire of the Sun

1987 - The Witches of Eastwick

1986 - SpaceCamp

1984 - The River

1984 - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

1983 - Return of the Jedi

1982 - E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

1981 - Raiders of the Lost Ark

1980 - The Empire Strikes Back

1979 - 1941

1979 - Dracula

1978 - Superman - The Movie

1978 - Jaws 2

1978 - The Fury

1977 - Close Encounters of the Third Kind

1977 - Star Wars

1976 - Midway

1976 - The Missouri Breaks

1976 - Family Plot

1975 - The Eiger Sanction

1975 - Jaws

1974 - The Towering Inferno

1974 - Earthquake

1974 - The Sugarland Express

1973 - The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing

1972 - The Poseidon Adventure

1972 - The Cowboys

1971 - Fiddler o­n the Roof (Score Adaptation)

1969 - Goodbye, Mr. Chips (Score Adaptation)

1966 - How to Steal a Million

1966 - The Rare Breed

1963 - Diamond Head

Total: 68 :shakehead:

Williams has only composed 22 scores in that decade.

What?!? 22 scores from 2000 (The Patriot) to 2005 (War of the Worlds so far)?!? :shakehead: I've missed some...

How the mighty have fallen indeed.

You are nothing without your post count buddy Chrusher.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Crusher is dead,though I get e-mails from beyond the grave from time to time.

K.M.