The Big Bad Star Trek XI Thread

BLUMENKOHL

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd blame Trent's decision on the economy. Not everybody has $10-$15 to blow on a new big flashy sci-fi movie on the silver screen. They have things called "budgets" and they follow those very closely, especially when seeing such a movie would cut into the "Blu-Ray" budget. Silly people, leave Trent alone.

I'd blame Trent's decision on the economy. Not everybody has $10-$15 to blow on a new big flashy sci-fi movie on the silver screen. They have things called "budgets" and they follow those very closely, especially when seeing such a movie would cut into the "Blu-Ray" budget. Silly people, leave Trent alone.

I'm not picking on anybody; it's his life, like I said. I just -- and here's the important part, as a self-proclaimed fan of this entire franchise -- find it unfathomable that somebody would choose not to go to this movie in a theatre. Key word there being "choose." Obviously, it would be an entirely different thing to not go because one literally didn't have the money.

Well you found someone who chooses not to go see this in theaters despite being a Trekkie. The way how this movie looks just rubs me the wrong way. If you don't like my opinion (or option?), then that's your problem not mine.

As I said I would rather spend the money to go see another movie I would rather watch in theaters that's coming out this year than the new Star Trek film.

Well you found someone who chooses not to go see this in theaters despite being a Trekkie. The way how this movie looks just rubs me the wrong way. If you don't like my opinion (or option?), then that's your problem not mine.

I will laugh my ass off at the end of the line when everyone's seen this movie and it turns out to be the epicenter of the Trek revival...

And...you...missed...it.

:P

Sorry Trent, the FACT that you CLAIM you could even STOMACH Enterprise, OBLIGATES YOU to STAND in LINE during OPENING DAY and give this movie its due chance. You like Enterprise. End of story. There's no excuse.

As for myself, as a man who would put The Original Series and Deep Space Nine as his top Star Trek shows....the look of this movie feels...JUST right.

I've been a Star Trek fan since about as long as I can remember, literally, and this movie is the first time during my life when the actual future of the franchise seemed at stake. Even if I thought this movie looked cat-piss terrible, I'd want it to be a hit, just so the franchise could have an opportunity to thrive again. No way I'd pass up being a part of that.

I'm the oldest Star Trek fan, and like Vosk I think this movie doesn't look right, yet I'm obigated to go see it. Its as if my dna is written that way.

OBLIGATES YOU to STAND in LINE during OPENING DAY and give this movie its due chance.

WRONG! I won't be in line during opening day to see this piece of turd. As I've said before, I may or may not see it, if I do decide to I will watch it when it comes out on DVD. I'll rent the damn thing first before actually wasting my money on it.

Edit: Who gives a damn (besides you Blume) that I like Enterprise but won't give this a chance? Well sorry but as I said the way how this all looks rubs me the wrong way and if I decide to see it I will wait for it to come out on DVD. You just got to accept that for this is who I am. If you don't like it TOUGH!

WRONG! I won't be in line during opening day to see this piece of turd

Ah so you have judged, juried, and executed the film already.

You just got to accept that for this is who I am. If you don't like it TOUGH!

Hey if you don't want responses to your opinions, keep them to yourself. Or were you just setting yourself up for that empowering cinematic line?

FOR THIS....IS....WHO....I AM!!! *RAWR*

I'm the oldest Star Trek fan

Ooook...? Thanks for the heads up, and here I thought you weren't even 60 yet.

and like Vosk I think this movie doesn't look right,

How does it not look right? Yes its technical appearance is about 40 years ahead of TOS....but I mean come on this is 40 years later. The spirit that I see in the trailer is that of The Original Series. It is "not right" in the same respect that TMP was not right to TOS. Everyone was older, the uniforms were iPods, the ship had grown up, the bridge was aluminium looking...etc. etc. But the spirit of the story remained the same.

I'm one of those who never missed an episode of TOS during its original run on NBC. I watched the Animated version, all the spin-offs and all the features. Star Trek is dear to my own personal culture and I can tell you that Star Trek was near death by the time of Voyager. They could have stopped right there but they kept going with Enterprise, promising a bold, daring new vision of Trek. Guess what?! It wasn't. It was the same old tired, namby-pamby, homogenized crap that Rick Berman had been dealing since the departure of DS9. There was no longer any thrill, any sense of surprise and any fun to it. Yes, for all it's social exploration Star Trek TOS was fun.

The feature films never rose above a certain level of mild adventure and, outside of Star Trek:TMP, they never felt like events. I grew bored and tired of them. Would I want more of the same? Not on your life. This new Trek movie is not going to be the trek of my childhood and thank goodness for that. It shouldn't be. If I ever want to revisit that universe of Trek there are always the DVDs. I WANT a re imagined Star Trek, I WANT a bigger, more expansive canvas, I WANT to see some fresh faces and a bolder, newer attitude. I WANT a Trek film which is a major movie event, instead of another extended TV episode.

I remember seeing the commercials for Star Trek:TMP back in 79 for the first time and they gave me a giddy excitement and anticipation at the prospect of seeing Star Trek on the big screen. Seeing the Enterprise and these characters as I had never seen them before. It felt like seeing Star Trek for the first time again. I haven't had that kind of feeling until this new Trek movie. I'm excited and I can't wait to see what's new. I look forward to differences and will view them as surprises rather than sacrilege.

Some may view this as a dumbing down of the Star Trek concept for a younger audience but we don't know that yet. We certainly can't say that the last 15 years of Star Trek has done anything to elevate the importance of Star Trek. It just may be that this could be an even smarter, more relevant Star Trek than what we've had. Look no further than Battlestar Galactica to see that it is possible. That's a show that broke an unholy number of rules and standards from the original template... Starbuck a girl? Boomer, not only a girl but a Cylon? Tigh a wino-geezer who turns out to be the equivalent of a Cylon religious figure? Baltar, a complex, conflicted, character of sympathy? And everything bathed in a harsh, unsympathetic realism? Come on. But they've pulled it all off brilliantly and I'm so grateful that they didn't remake the cheesy old show from the 70's.

So I'm open and aglow for the possibilities of this new Trek. Bring it on.

I'm...looking forward to Karl Urban. Dammit I ranted and pissed and moaned about his casting for the longest time...and well...

Some may view this as a dumbing down of the Star Trek concept for a younger audience but we don't know that yet.

There's a tendency of those who've deluded themselves into seeing Star Trek as the second bible to see anything that Star Trek-related that has actual elements pulled from Star Trek staples as demonic and untrue.

They see Pine in bed with an Orion chick and call it unnecessary sexual content. Scream bloody murder! Gene rolls in his grave! Gene would never put in sexual content in Star Trek! He would never dumb it down that way!

They sort of missed provacative Orion's in Star Trek. Harry Mudd. Miniskirts. What? Huh? Who?

It's like walking into McDonald's, sitting down and yelling "I hate fast food! I'll never order of this menu!" and then asking why everyone's looking at you funny. All the while delivering cool one-liners about...the fiber of your being...for...not...eating...fast food. :P

Incidentally McDonald's food tends to be low on fiber. Don't know if the same is true for Star Trek.

Vosk you're being obtuse. It might look like a turd, but we don't know yet that it is a turd. And it doesn't speak well for you that you really like Enterprise which mostly is a TURD, and you gave it a chance. It will be cheaper for all of us if you go see the movie at a matinee rather than wait for Blue Ray.

Saying you'd rather wait for the movie to hit video instead of seeing it on the big screen really makes us all think you just want to be able to watch this movie for the first time butt naked.

I agree with Blume on this one, ever since we started getting hard info on the movie everything about it just feels right. It's got a good vibe to it, trailer hyperediting aside.

Saying you'd rather wait for the movie to hit video instead of seeing it on the big screen really makes us all think you just want to be able to watch this movie for the first time butt naked.

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

My feeling is that the trailers have all been made for people who would not otherwise go to see a Star Trek movie. And from what I can gather, it's working. I've got one friend who occasionally comes to watch original series episodes with her husband when a bunch of us get together, and she's so not into it that she brings a book and reads the whole time.

And yet, she wants to see this movie.

Another friend, who went to see Watchmen with her husband and me and who dislikes pretty much any space-based sci-fi except Star Wars, saw the newest trailer, leaned over and in a firm voice told her husband -- himself only barely a Star Trek fan -- "We're going to see that movie."

Granted, these are only two people, and they're people who already have somewhat geeky tendencies to begin with ... but it's exactly those somewhat-on-the-fence people that Paramount is trying to sell this movie to.

The only way to answer that question is to see the remaining 98%.

Once the film is in release I think that if you refuse to see the movie until the dvd versions are released then those that do that should avoid the Star Trek threads because I'm going to talk about it, and I refuse to put spoiler tags at that point after its been released.

I see the essence of Star Trek in the 2% we have. Kirk taking the chair...Scotty's enthusiasm for exploration...the STRANGE NEW WORLDS we see, and best of all....Star Trek's biggest challenge to humanity....the dare "to do better."

Star Trek is in need of some fresh air and a new start. TNG cast didn't translate well to the big screen and you can't put a whole new crew on the Enterprise that no one knows.

So you take the most popular element and tweak it with something we haven't seen before.

:P

So you're saying perhaps the "essence of Trek" lurks somewhere in the remaining 98% of the footage we haven't seen?

I only very rarely found the "essence of Trek" in, say, Deep Space Nine -- didn't keep that from being a good, and occasionally great, show.

What is the "essence" of Trek? Wagon train to the stars, versus sitting in one spot like an immobile space station? Holy trinity of main characters that only use minor characters when they can't figure out a solution on their own?

TOS and TNG mostly consisted of standalone stories that introduced a conflict and a villain, and then resolved it within a ~40 minute self-contained episode. DS9 had its share of those stories, but also had a serial-feel where episodes ran into each other in massive story arcs far beyond what TNG showed. A single episode was no longer the resolution to a conflict, but just another few paces in the story's momentum.

I will say this. If TOS and TNG were about "going forth and seeking new life forms and new civilizations," DS9 did kinda get away from that. They found a few minor new races, but once they added three biggies (Jem-Hadar, Founders, and Weyouns), they just stopped and made the show into a long drawn-out political and military war extravaganza, using most of the races that the prior shows had introduced as the pawns. If that's not the "essence" of Trek, I am forced to agree, but I still loved it all the same.

Essence of Trek: Exploring strange new worlds and new life and new civilization. To boldly go where no one has gone before.

If any Trek offspring can do that, it qualifies as Star Trek in my book.

The problem with DS9 is that Sisko, for all his being a big tall tough looking black dude, was that he was a woosie. And that always, always hurt the show. Granted he got tougher when he went bald, but the damage was done.

The problem with DS9 is that Sisko, for all his being a big tall tough looking black dude, was that he was a woosie. And that always, always hurt the show. Granted he got tougher when he went bald, but the damage was done.

Sisko really wasn't a wimp. Hell he even hit Q! "You hit me!" "Picard never hit me." - Q. "I'm not Picard!" - Sisko.

Sisko got really pissed if you ruffled his feathers right and he even went after Micheal Eddington when he joined the Maquis.

Let's see here....

He sucker punched Q.

Sisko ran at a Jem'hadar after that one Vorta freed him and Quark from that cell and knocked him flat out cold (the episode where the Odyssey was destroyed).

He fought off Jem'hadar as long as he could when they boarded the Defiant during "The Search".

He kicked butt in OPS when the Klingons tried to take over the station.

He went after Micheal Eddington.

He bravely fought off Jem'Hadar during the Siege of AR-558.

He fought pretty good a long with some Jem'Hadar soldiers when they went after that one renegade group.

I"m sure there are other episodes I'm missing that he was pretty good at fighting. As I said I wouldn't call Sisko a wimp.

There has to be Q Voyager eps that were worse. The DS9 one is fun.

Didn't say it was bad; just said it was the worst.

The Voyager episode with the Qs having a civil war was absolutely terrible. With the bird who played K'Ethleyr as a female Q.

I disagree. That episode at least has a point, whereas the Deep Space Nine episode was a blatant attempt to get Next Generation fans to watch the new show by shoehorning in a popular TNG character where he has no business being. It weakens the overall Q/Picard story by making Q's interest in Picard less special, and does virtually nothing for the Sisko storyline. It's fun, sure, but in an utterly pointless kind of way.

The Voyager episodes are somewhat guilty of the same sins, but at least they try and rationalize Q's interest in Janeway by using the incongruity of Voyager's presence in that quadrant as a carrot in front of Q's nose. It seems entirely consistent with Q's arc on Next Generation, at least; the same cannot be said of the Deep Sapce Nine appearance.

And the bird you're referring to is Suzie Plakson, a right babe as a Klingon or a Q. And her character's name on TNG was K'Ehleyr (said the nerd).

There has to be Q Voyager eps that were worse. The DS9 one is fun.

Didn't say it was bad; just said it was the worst.

You're right, it's easy to generalize "worst" as equalling "bad". It is a case of DS9's growing pains, throwing Q in. Thankfully he didn't appear again (and I continuosly thank God the Borg never did). It's the Q/Vash interplay that makes the episode worthwhile for me.

Speaking of punching, when I watch Generations I still get a good laugh during the final fight. Picard gets taken out by Soran rather quickly yet "old" Kirk works him over quickly with a double punch combo to the gut and face.

Sisko really wasn't a wimp. Hell he even hit Q! "You hit me!" "Picard never hit me." - Q. "I'm not Picard!" - Sisko.

Sisko got really pissed if you ruffled his feathers right and he even went after Micheal Eddington when he joined the Maquis.

I'll say it again, Sisko was a wimp. He was the wink link on that show. He was overshadowed by his supporting characters.

Kirk, Picard, and Janeway were never overshadowed.

And remember I like the show tremendously, I have on 7 seasons in DVD. But of the 5 leads on the 5 shows, he rates only above Bakula.

Rubbish! bullpoo and utter dreck!

They started off portraying Sisko not as a captain but as a community leader, a builder. Which is why he's different then the others. More stable, less of an adventurer.

Old age must be setting in.

In the Rick Berman era, Sisko is second only to Picard, and that's a fact!

He's no match for Janeway Stefan, and yes he's better than Bakula, but even Picard is second to Kirk.

More stable, less of an adventurer=WIMP.

you can argue with me all you want and lose but lets face it, in an alley fight who would you take Sisko or Kira?

Janeway?

She was too often let down by poor writing, that made her seemed inconsistant in her descision making...or just menstrual.

you avoided my question, and we all know you'd take Kira over Sisko any day.

but it is the debate Master, Sisko is a wimp, Kira is not, and in a street fight you'd pick Kira.