The Big Bad Star Trek XI Thread

BLUMENKOHL

I missed the little playing of the prelude to the fanfare from the TOS main titles, which was the best moment in the first teaser, but it's still by far the best trailer.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I missed the little playing of the prelude to the fanfare from the TOS main titles, which was the best moment in the first teaser, but it's still by far the best trailer.

I think that would have been ideal for when Kirk took the chair.

I don't really like the music, but it's not what bugs me about this trailer. The whole thing just seems off. I agree with the earlier sentiment that the teaser is the best thing I've seen so far. But hey, roll on May.

You know, I'm not one to doubt upcoming films for franchises I love, but this film really doesn't look very good to me. I'll still see it definitely, but my expectations are rather low at this point.

Joey, outside of Germany and UK Star Trek has never been very big in Europe.

what does that matter.

to makes something mainstream abrams isn't targeting europeans, they are irrelevant, they are targeting Americans that they've never reached before.

OK, i'll take that into consideration when you speak again about mainstreaming

It may sound like that but im not offended (i should... :() i just mean that i have to remember that you think about mainstream in the US only (as is true what you say, hollywood makes movies for the US)

I can't wait. That moment when Chris Pine takes the captain's chair...and everyone is standing around watching, and the camera is cut way back...that's going to be a seminal movie moment. That might be worth the price of admission.

Well, that and towing the Enterprise into orbit. Just think, if George Lucas were directing this movie, the Enterprise would drive from Iowa to the Gulf of Mexico, burrow through the planet core, and shoot into orbit out of the Pacific Ocean.

I was referring to Qui-Gon's submarine going underwater and through a planet's core to get to Naboo for absolutely no reason, other than to create some CG underwater fish for the only time it would ever be relevant in Star Wars.

Lucas would make CG aliens for the bridge to match what they had on The Animated Series.

Well every once and awhile we get lucky and the composer will provide us with a piece written especially for the trailer.

Speaking of which, I wish Cliff Eidelman's cue he composed especially for the trailer of Star Trek VI was included on the album.

Speaking of which, I wish Cliff Eidelman's cue he composed especially for the trailer of Star Trek VI was included on the album.

Boy you said it.

Actually, now that you mention, I feel like that trailer was the "birth" of the modern slow-build-BOOMACTIONCUT trailers. If not THE birth, it was certainly the best one, and the only one I can recall in memory.

I was referring to Qui-Gon's submarine going underwater and through a planet's core to get to Naboo for absolutely no reason, other than to create some CG underwater fish for the only time it would ever be relevant in Star Wars.

Well its also nice to show different planet structure than ours. Nabbo does not have a magma core like earth, since it dries some time ago and now the tunnels are filled with water...

:P

I like seeing wide forest, city, water, desert, jungle, ice, lava planets... :P

Well its also nice to show different planet structure than ours. Nabbo does not have a magma core like earth, since it dries some time ago and now the tunnels are filled with water...

Which is never even mentioned in the film, making the whole business rather confusing.

Earth does not have a magma core. The thick mantle, between the crust and core, is magma, but the outer core is liquid iron and the inner core is solid iron. This heavy concentration of iron creates a powerful magnetic field which helps keep the most harmful solar radiation at bay. This permits life as we know it.

With a watery hollow core, Naboo should be as dead as Mercury or our moon, not a lush paradise as depicted.

Once again, George Lucas has proven to the world what an idiot he is.

Which is never even mentioned in the film, making the whole business rather confusing.

its rather clear that the planet core is hollow caverns filled with water. You can imagine that it does not have a melt core.

Come on, even 70's old man John WIlliams knows it 'Travel through the planet core' :P

Earth does not have a magma core. The thick mantle, between the crust and core, is magma, but the outer core is liquid iron and the inner core is solid iron. This heavy concentration of iron creates a powerful magnetic field which helps keep the most harmful solar radiation at bay. This permits life as we know it.

With a watery hollow core, Naboo should be as dead as Mercury or our moon, not a lush paradise as depicted.

Once again, George Lucas has proven to the world what an idiot he is.

That must be true, but i never heard it that the magnetic field kept the radiations at bay. always learn new things :P

Anyway, if you overanalise every OT planet with the same mind you find that GL was already a fool in the 80s ;)

Applying real-world science to Star Wars results in epic fail. That's just how it is. There are far worse examples (sound in space, faster-than-light travel, entire planets with single ecosystems, etc.). You either accept it as silly creative license or you don't.

Applying real-world science to Star Wars results in epic fail. That's just how it is. There are far worse examples (sound in space, faster-than-light travel, entire planets with single ecosystems, etc.). You either accept it as silly creative license or you don't.

Exactly. At the end of the day, comments about how unrealistic planet cores, sounds in space, ecosystems and even lightsabers don't really work when the head of the Rebel Alliance is a halibut.

For clarification, the "epic fail" was in reference to Lucas, not the person trying to apply science to Star Wars. Furthermore, I hope you won't do anything TOO drastic, Wojo. Last time I wrote a post like that, I took over a year off from this site.

Oh, wait...that was, like, the best year of my life. :thumbup:

I just figured going thru the planet's core was just a metaphor for them going deeper than normal and bypassing the actual core of the planet.

But yeah, that whole scene was made so Lucas could throw in some CGI monster fish and something that looked like Naboo's version of Godzilla.

Like I said, thank god technology was limited when Lucas originally made Star Wars.

hey I have an idea, how about we talk about STAR TREK in the STAR TREK thread.

I really love how a certain number of members around here have become cherry-picking post nazi's lately, and I'm not simply pointing fingers at Joey. It used to be fun when we all slammed the poll infestation...but now we're standing one step away from spending every thread debating the finer points of forum policy and grammatical and spelling errors.

I just figured going thru the planet's core was just a metaphor for them going deeper than normal and bypassing the actual core of the planet.

But yeah, that whole scene was made so Lucas could throw in some CGI monster fish and something that looked like Naboo's version of Godzilla.

Like I said, thank god technology was limited when Lucas originally made Star Wars.

IIRC, there used to be articles about how JJ Abrams brought on board NASA scientists and consultants for the movie. That gives me a little hope this stuff won't happen in Star Trek.

Luckily as I recall

I looked up Naboo at Wookiepedia. The planet still has a legitimate core of plasma, that heats up the oceans and provides clean energy to both sentient races. Boss Nass' scary sounding "go thru da planet core" is just to sound cool, as it's Gungan slang for the underwater tunnels that connect the vast underground oceans on the planet.

you have a problem with my suggestion that we talk about Star Trek in the Star Trek thread?

really with all the Star Wars prequel threads out there why should this Star Trek thread be infested with more prequel/lucas bashing?

I started an argument in this thread, I found information that proves I was wrong, and this was the logical place to conclude said argument.

You have a problem with that? Ok, you want Star Trek? "Don't you know, aren't you God?" There. You're not. Blow it out your piehole, old man, my give a damn is broken.

you have a problem with my suggestion that we talk about Star Trek in the Star Trek thread?

really with all the Star Wars prequel threads out there why should this Star Trek thread be infested with more prequel/lucas bashing?

The problem with that Joey, is you're not contributing anything valuable to the topic. So it's hypocrisy. And you're usually one who gives damn fine thought-provoking stuff. It was disappointing seeing Joey attached to that post. I'm not gonna lie, despite our differences, I'm a Joey-fan.

I looked up Naboo at Wookiepedia. The planet still has a legitimate core of plasma, that heats up the oceans and provides clean energy to both sentient races. Boss Nass' scary sounding "go thru da planet core" is just to sound cool, as it's Gungan slang for the underwater tunnels that connect the vast underground oceans on the planet.

Oh gosh! I hope Abrams listens to the NASA and just keeps everything down to Earth with no such technobabble explanations necessary!

The problem with that Joey, is you're not contributing anything valuable to the topic. So it's hypocrisy. And you're usually one who gives damn fine thought-provoking stuff. It was disappointing seeing Joey attached to that post. I'm not gonna lie, despite our differences, I'm a Joey-fan.

Oh gosh! I hope Abrams listens to the NASA and just keeps everything down to Earth with no such technobabble explanations necessary!

I think I gave value, even I'm tired of prequel bashing, and silly discussion of cgi infestation. we're on the verge of a major franchise reboot, retread, remake, whatever it turns out to be. 2009 is Star Treks time, not Star Wars.

there are plenty of threads to talk Star Wars, I'm surprised no one has started a live Star Wars series thread yet, but just for once let Star Trek stand uncluttered by talk of the other. In the famous words of Harvey Firestein, IS THAT SO WWWRRROOOONGGGG.

Value? Value you say? Ha!

You can't force this thread back on course by simply saying "I am Joeinar, hear me roar" or "back to Star Trek" and then say diddly sqwat. Or expect us to bask in the 40 year glow of awesomeness that is Trek because it won't happen like that. Provide something constructive. Compare the look and feel of the new Enterprise's Bussard ramscoops to those on the original 1966 model. Say Chris Pine has a pretty smile. Something.

Don't just pass judgment if you have neither the time nor inclination to read into why this thread happened, because your failure to understand how this thread de-evolved from a sarcastic comparison of an Enterprise sitting in a wheat field to how Lucas would butcher it is quite sad. Even for you.

Now what John did, that coercion back on track, that's semi-cool. Be like John, Joe.

I love it when I'm right.

Now back to Star Trek.

It's a semi-cool action of a totally cool guy by a mostly cool individual. I suppose that would raise the coolness factor.

I'm not good at cool. I didn't do enough LDS back in the 60s.

Value? Value you say? Ha!

You can't force this thread back on course by simply saying "I am Joeinar, hear me roar" or "back to Star Trek" and then say diddly sqwat. Or expect us to bask in the 40 year glow of awesomeness that is Trek because it won't happen like that. Provide something constructive. Compare the look and feel of the new Enterprise's Bussard ramscoops to those on the original 1966 model. Say Chris Pine has a pretty smile. Something.

Don't just pass judgment if you have neither the time nor inclination to read into why this thread happened, because your failure to understand how this thread de-evolved from a sarcastic comparison of an Enterprise sitting in a wheat field to how Lucas would butcher it is quite sad. Even for you.

Now what John did, that coercion back on track, that's semi-cool. Be like John, Joe.

why be like John, he is he, I am me.

I cannot help it if you have an aversion to doing what is right Wojo. But basically I did force it back, if not by sheer will, by your determination to resist what I said, you inadvertantly did it anyway.

Resistance is Futile.

Chris Pine looks all wrong for the part. He's too pretty.

No...I stopped talking SW because I corrected my rant from above, which led Datameister to suspect that I was feeling suicidal. You had nothing to do with it, you just shoved your nose into the middle of the discussion without actually offering anything Trek related to talk about, but please, flatter yourself.