Some plot issues in the Matrix 3logy

pi

First movie is great, second and third get wierder and worse.

what happened to tank? I don't remember seeing him die.

does anyone think the "reality" set up in the first movie, was violated in the second and third?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The second and third definitely shat all over what was built up in the first but, to be honest, I can't watch the original anymore. They definitely should have let the first one be the last one though. It had a good ending the way it was.

I suggest you read two books:

The Matrix and Philosophy (William Irwin)

More Matrix and Philosophy: Revolutions and Reloaded Decoded (William Irwin)

Those should clear up many questions.

I suggest you forget about the 2nd and 3rd films- you'll be far better off.

Morlock- who couldn't help but be a bit gleeful when he discovered that the two sequels were just as vacuous as the first film promised any digging would be

I suggest you read two books:

The Matrix and Philosophy (William Irwin)

More Matrix and Philosophy: Revolutions and Reloaded Decoded (William Irwin)

Those should clear up many questions.

If you need to read 2 books to be able to understand what a film is about, usually the film is not worth that effort......

I applaud the Watchowski brothers for their ambition, but unfortunatly the Matrix sequels collapsed under the weight of its own depth and mysteries.

The first is still great though, and The Animatrix rocks.

It's been almost four years since those crappy sequels came out. Who cares anymore?

You are correct.

Frankly the whole trilogy is one overhyped piece of junk.

I actually like all the movies and scores. Don Davis did some amazing work for the 3 films (and I enjoyed his collaboration with Juno Reactor, a group I liked before the movies).

I guess i'm in the minority on this one, but I think that the overall story-arc is executed perfectly in the 3-act movie form, and there's some great philosophical underpinnings about technology that adds depth to the story. The trilogy is surely a cyberpunks dream.

I actually like all the movies and scores. Don Davis did some amazing work for the 3 films (and I enjoyed his collaboration with Juno Reactor, a group I liked before the movies).

I guess i'm in the minority on this one, but I think that the overall story-arc is executed perfectly in the 3-act movie form, and there's some great philosophical underpinnings about technology that adds depth to the story. The trilogy is surely a cyberpunks dream.

I seem to remember being in the minority when everone liked Matrix trilogy better than prequels. So which has stood the rather short test of time? Matrix was a passing fad.

i never saw the 2nd, 3rd movie. some neet pan diatonism and modal writing by mr davis. Nothing awe enspering except for the matrix chord motif.

You're also a fan of Batman Forever. Coincidence? I think not.

:)

It's amazing how some members keep track of everybody's likes and dislikes.

But I would say "what happened to Tank" is the least of all Matrix mysteries.

But I would say "what happened to Tank" is the least of all Matrix mysteries.

Quite simple really. The actor that portrayed 'Tank' demanded more money - the producers refused and the character was ignominiously erased without any further character development. I believe a certain 'Captain Panaka' met a similar fate.

I seem to remember being in the minority when everone liked Matrix trilogy better than prequels. So which has stood the rather short test of time? Matrix was a passing fad.

Well, I think the first Matrix film is good, and better than any of the prequels (although that's not saying much). But the two sequels are just as useless as the SW prequels, so as whole trilogies, I don't think either will be remembered very fondly in the future.

Ray Barnsbury

I suggest you forget about the 2nd and 3rd films- you'll be far better off.

Morlock- who couldn't help but be a bit gleeful when he discovered that the two sequels were just as vacuous as the first film promised any digging would be

Well, no, actually, the concept was rich enough to dig; they just missed the motherlode and were contented with a little gold dust.

"Reloaded" introduced intriguing new concepts (albeit clumsily at the end), but "Revolutions" did not follow up.

The action is great, the music is good, it's wonderful eye candy, and there are plenty of interesting ideas, but they were drowned by the drive for more action, more effects, more in-your-face spectacular show-stopping pieces.

Though even as eye candy it failed in several parts; the rave thing is a long boring useless waste of time, and the action gets "unreadable" at the end, with much too much going on screen, what with all those robots swamping the screen, moving extremely fast, amid plenty of gunfire and explosions.

I did get the box set, however-- though I did wait for a good bargain, and eventually got it through a "Buy 1 Get 1 Free" discount on DeepDiscount. I have not taken the time to watch the movies, though, let alone the extras.

(Incidentally, who's that girl, Drax, please? :) )

The first one has great action, good music, wonderful eye candy and interesting ideas. The second and third ones do not. The action is tedious, the eye candy is not very impressive, no interesting ideas. Though the music is still good.

Those movies are a guilty pleasure of mine - well - not SO guilty about the first one - it's a cracking movie - but the sequels hald a place on my DVD shelf and get watched reasonably regularly....

....but I couldn't give a fart in a hurricane about the plot holes....

I think the first film is decent, though shockingly overrated. It has an interesting plot and looks absolutely great, but I can't see why or how it is considered by some to be one of the best films ever made.

The sequels were a real struggle to sit through for me.

- Rob, who loves the scores

The second 2 contained some of the worst CGI I have seen.

And people are hard on Spiderman for it's CGI?

Yeah, the fight with the hundred Agent Smiths was laughingly bad. Really disappointing after the excellent effects in the first one.

Ray Barnsbury

If you need to read 2 books to be able to understand what a film is about, usually the film is not worth that effort......

Or rather the time constraints of making a science-fiction action movie don't lend themselves well to detailed discussions of philosophy.

Or rather the time constraints of making a science-fiction action movie don't lend themselves well to detailed discussions of philosophy.

So when the whole purpose of the sci-fi action movie is to discuss philosophy... where does this leave the movie?

Read the book, make the movie longer without boring the audience or come up with an entertaining film that skips the serious talk but manages to deliver.

One of the reasons Jurassic Park worked so well is that Spielberg crafted a film that didn't need to rely on all the scientific elements of the book. If he had stuck to the book he might have lost the audience.

I can assume that you are a fan, so I ask why? Why do you like them (the sequels or the trilogy as a whole)?

What I enjoyed:

1. Plot of the first film

2. Special effects in all 3 films

3. Don Davis' excellent music, which needs to be released completely

4. The philosophical questions posed by the films

5. Ambiguous ending (I'm a Fincher fan, I don't always enjoy a happy ending)

What I didn't like:

1. The breakdown of the plot after the first film

2. Too many pointless scenes (Zion)

The Matrix films are in no way perfect films, but I enjoy them for what they are - pop culture science fiction movies.