Goldsmith's Alien or Horner's Aliens?

Quintus

Personally I much prefer the high octane and epic orchestrations of Aliens to the predominantly suspenseful compositions of Alien. Both are worthy scores, but JH's score to Aliens (back when he sounded like an original breath of fresh air) amp up his movie to a far more accessible height, both in terms of audience involvement and as a stand alone listen. The LSO (sounding like their Star Wars: Ep IV days) are perfectly suited for his big ideas, indeed they appear to be firing on all cylinders throughout the score, their brass in particular blows me away every time.

Or perhaps you prefer the romantic stylistics of Goldsmiths all-out horror effort?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horner's is fun.

Goldsmith's is a masterpiece, and a milestone in the career of one of the best film composers. And also very enjoyable.

I wholeheartedly concur!

alien was not a masterpiece, but it is very good, it was a footnote compared to STTMP and the still 3 years away Poltergeist. I would still pick it over Horner's score overall, but the action music, involving the space troop tank was spectacular.

Horner's is fun.

Goldsmith's is a masterpiece, and a milestone in the career of one of the best film composers. And also very enjoyable.

I agree.

Different scores for different films.

Yeah, that is my view on it too. Both were perfect for the film they were scoring.

I don't see it as being a case of "which is better?" because it doesn't work like that.

Jerry's music is like the musical representation of Giger's art.

Yes, especially the wonderful "Space jockey" moment in Alien.

To me, it was spot on (in musical terms) with gigers paintings.

Alien by far. Aliens was fun and great, but doesn't have the special sound that Jerry brings in his Alien score (one of my favorites).

Now if someone could give it a proper official release! ;)