III International Film Music Conference

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm all packed.

I'm going to sit and read for a bit, then try and get some sleep before getting up at 4:30 again for a long day of traveling.

This is my last post before leaving. I'll see you guys on the other side, and everyone who's not going, behave yourself around here, dammit!

Cheers,

- Marc, signing off.

This is my last post before leaving. I'll see you guys on the other side, and everyone who's not going, behave yourself around here, dammit!

Cheers,

- Marc, signing off.

Quick, post your links to copyrighted media now!

Seriously, have fun guys. Getting to meet Mark and Greta in Houston was a great experience, I'm sure an event like this will be 10x that.

Will someone get me off my darned fat ass and get me to Spain in 2008? I will be going to Nerja in September 2007 though...3 months too late for me to chin slap David Arnold. Everyone have a great time in Ubeda and don't worry...I'll keep an eye on things here till everyone gets back. Now what did I do with that whip??

Ah, then all is well.

Carry on!

It seems that it is unlikely we will be in Ubeda before half past seven next thursday, there fore the passing of T-shirts and the merry meeting will have to take place on a later date then the 16:30 that was agreed upon earlier.

Stefan.

Wow. congratulations (for the nomination) and good luck! (for the award)

But i think the will announce them in the conferences, so you have to wait a pair of days...

Thank you very much! The awards ceremony was held yesterday, but they haven't announced anything on the net yet!

Wow. congratulations (for the nomination) and good luck! (for the award)

But i think the will announce them in the conferences, so you have to wait a pair of days...

Thank you very much! The awards ceremony was held yesterday, but they haven't announced anything on the net yet!

ooops hehe

Good luck again

The conference was unbelivabely fantastic, wonderful and excellent (except constant delays). :ola: It also finally gave me a chance to meet some of You, which - of course - was a true pleasure and honor. :baaa:

Greetings from "MAD" Hostel, Madrid :)

Chris - whose name was badly misspeled by maestro Scott :)

The conference was unbelivabely fantastic, wonderful and excellent (except constant delays). :ola: It also finally gave me a chance to meet some of You, which - of course - was a true pleasure and honor. :baaa:

Greetings from "MAD" Hostel, Madrid :)

Chris - whose name was badly misspeled by maestro Scott :)

It was cool meeting you too. At least I think it was you.

Well I'm back.

Before I do anything else, like go into details about the last few days or post pictures and stuff I would like to extend my thanks to the following people:

Peio

Krhyz...Chris...Neimoidian...you know)

Marc

Olivier

Stephen (a silent reader :baaa: )

Ross, Ender, Tom...eeehhh...Elmo Lewis

It was great meeting you, talking to you, sharing food and drinko with you and almost falling asleep with you (well, not with Elmo Lewis)

ArtyJeffrey and Blumenkohl. The shirts came out very nicely and added that little bit extra to an already great concert.

And Rubén, my friend. I don't know if you will even read this, but thank you once again to you, and your parents for your guidence, hospitality, pork, olives, choriozo, whine, cookies, goat leg, sirloin and especially cider.

This has been a fantastic week!

As for your design, I was able to adapt the files you sent me to ensure the text would be readable.

Considering the very limited time alloted to us for this, it came out very very well.....

For those who were not able to attend,

just a brief taste of the musical delight that we were treated with.

It looks like "International" went missing...;)

If it was for copyright...I got an OK from the marketing head of the event. As long as you didn't go around selling shirts to everyone attending.

Hehe. Oh well. It was the front that mattered anyway.

July 19

Got up extremely early in the morning to catch the earliest train to Schiphol Airport. Thankfully unlike last year I did not have to endure a 5 hour delay.

I arrived in Madrid before mid day and was once again greeted by my friend, and former MB regular Rubén. Since the train to Linares was not to leave untill 4, we had a few hours to kill walking around Madrid, and finally settling down in a place were I was reintroduced to some Spanish delight of food and Cider.

Our stomachs satisfied we wound up at Atocha station, probably a bit later then intended, but catched the train anyway.

The 3 hour journey was spend in relative airconditioned comfort. From Linares we took a cab to our booked hotel, which unfortunatly scrapped our reservations to make room for some sort of wedding. Fortunatly we managed to secure a double room in a different hotel which cost the same.

We had unfortunatly missed the opening of the Conference with Robert Townson tribute to Miklos Rozsa but managed to be there for the Jerry Goldsmith awards for young and upcoming composers.

Not uninteresting at all, but the nominees really ment nothing to me.

th_fa8b7eb0.jpg

It was certainly usefull to get back into the groove of translated lectures and speeches, were a guest will say something and then it has to be translated in either Spanish or English.

I believe (my mind is still a bit fuddled) that this is also were I met Peio, Marc, Olivier and Krzysztof, and were I recieved there payments for the shirts, even though I had not brought them with my (JWfanners are such a trusting bunch.)

100_1116.jpg

From left to right: Peio, Rubén, Stefan, Marc, Krzysztof and Olivier

At the end of the evening a whole bunch of us went to an italian restaurant and enjoyed a pizza, lasagna or whatever and some interesting conversation and in some cases singing or humming (when film score fans meets, the humming of ones favorites is never far away, I have found)

After this late dinner some proceeded to a place called The White Monkey, but Rubén and I called it a night and strolled back to our hotel for a sleep.

To be continued later.

July 20

We got up a bit late and did not rush breakfast, so we missed the John Scott panel. Which at the time did not seem like a huge loss to me. But over the course of the days I've seen filmscore fans droning around Mr. Scott showering him with equel levels of respect and affection, so I think I may have missed something since my collection is devoid of any of his works.

After this there was the John Debney panel, unlike last year, which was mostly about Passion Of The Christ, he took a more general approach to explaning the process in which he scores films.

He showed clips from 4 of his more recent works, Barnyard, Dreamer: Inspired by a True Storyr, Georgia Rules, and Evan Almighty. Debney is a clear and intelligent speaker, even though he tends to go on a bit and he's a bit on the sentimental side. (John Debney would make a great guest on Oprah :) )

Even though I'm not not the greatest Debney fan around, it's impossible not to like the guy.

At five that day there was the panel with Robert Townson of Varese Sarabande.

After a short introduction he took questions, the most interesting (I thought) was asked by Olivier, who asked if Townson had any interest in doing an article or story on his career and the way he works on the Internet, for FSM for instance. (please correct me if I rephrased the question incorrectly, Olivier). Townson basically spoke very negatively about filmscore messageboard communities, saying that is his mind they did not represent the true film score fans. This is of course not true, but I think that if I look at the FSM board, Filmtracks or even this place from his point of view, I would certainly get the same impression. unfortunatly or not, the Internet takes away many restrictions people have when voicing their opinions..

After a short reces there was a panel with 2 Hollywood agents, which sounds incredebly boring, but actually was not.

Richard Kraft is a soundtrack geek that somehow became an agent for film composers, his talk was lively, at times extremely funny and surprisingly informative.

Laura Engel is his rather sexy looking business partner who came into the film music world via Danny Elfman's Oingo Boingo. (bless him)

We learned that Elfman is doing a ballet, that Marc Shaiman is more focused on broadway these days then filmscoring and that it is highly unlikely that John Barry will do another film.

After this Kraft and his son Nicky showed their 1 hour film Finding Kraftland, part of which could already be viewed here.

The Marc Shaiman segment is probably the best and most interesting part for filmscore fans. The rest consist of Richards Kraft endless obsession for collection all kinds of toys, stuff from disney land, old food packages, movie posters etc...etc...

His relationship with his son Nick, the life and death of his brother and Cronh disease. (which killed his brother and from which Richard suffers)

Basically this is a big budget home movie, incredibly fun to watch, but in a way pointless. (I think Peio hated it. ;) )

A panel with Javier Navarrete was unfortunatly cancelled because he was in Paris working on a film.

The last event that night was the GoldSpirit Awards 2006. Hosted by Asociación BSOSpirit.

Basically an Academy Award style ceremony for film composers. But instead of Oscars, they got little Jerry statues.

There were a host of catagories best comedy cue, best action cue, best composer for a Spanish film, best Spanish composer, best single cue, best scoundtrack label best soundtrack label (which went to Townson, because he was there....)

It was basically the same as the world soundtrack awards in Belgium were they honor their composer guest. The best part for me was the Poledouris tribute, part of which can be seen here. .

It also includes interviews with his daughters, his ex-wife and various people he has worked with over the years, Verhoeven for instance.

While an enjoyable event, the ceremony had started late and went on for far, far to long.

After this however we were able to stretch our legs with a organised walk around the edge of Ubeda's city walls. And enjoyed a drink and some (rather stale) chocolat bread. While Krzysztof, Rubén and I were discussing something, a beautiful women local girl to us and told us what we were discussing sounded very interesting. It's obious that she was sexually interested, but the discussion of film scores is a man's job, so her avances were spurned.

The second day actually ended in the very early hours of the morning.

To be continued.

a beautiful women local girl to us and told us what we were discussing sounded very interesting. It's obious that she was sexually interested, but the discussion of film scores is a man's job, so her avances were spurned.

NO!!

The second day actually ended in the very early hours of the morning.

Oh , you were just kidding.

I can't say I blame Robert Townson, especially with some of the bitching that goes on, especially at FSM.

But I disagree that the boards don't represent true film score fans.

This was awesome (despite a rather unfortunate event that happened later in the week to me - I will tell you what later).

I had a blast meeting all of you guys.

I made extensive notes and will post a report later, but I kind of petered out on making these notes halfway through, so I'll have to organise these first before I forget too much.

In the meantime, here's a picture of us in our JWFan T-shirts:

HPIM0415.jpg

Back row, left to right: Marc, Peio, Stefan, Rubén

Front, left to right: Krzysztof, Olivier