Indy vs. Rambo: Which will do better

finalscore

Both Indiana Jones and Rambo sequels go into production this year. Each will be the 4th in a series of films about their respective characters, not counting the Saturday morning Rambo cartoons or the "Young Indy" chronicles TV series.

While "Indy" has the benefit of a new score to be composed by John Williams we hope, the Rambo sequel will, according to some reports, be comprised of existing tracks composed by Jerry Goldsmith or a new score by Brian Tyler.

My question is, which film do you think will be more commercially successful?

While this is a John Williams site take these factors into consideration:

1. While "Rocky Balboa" was not a huge hit it did do rather well last winter. Can Stallone ride the current momentum for "Rambo IV"?

2. Harrison Ford relly has not had a hit since "Air Force One".

3. Will the current situation in Iraq/Iran hurt or help each film? Will the usual militaristic tones of the Rambo films remind people of that kind of action currently ongoing in the Middle East and will repel instead of attract audiences. Will people want that escapism and gravitate toward a non-militaristic hero such as Indiana Jones?

4. Last which will you think have a better score? As this is a John Williams site, I think I know the answer to that one.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rambo may suprise like Rocky Balboa did, with respectable box office, but there is not a chance on earth it can compete with the Indy film. Even if the latter it turns out like The Phantom Menace did. Indy will do big box office, regardless of quality.

Indiana Jones should have no problem grossing over $100 million. Rambo IV will probably do about the same as Rocky Balboa, if not worse.

Worldwide so far it's made just shy of $150 million. Taking into account that it cost a mere $24 million to produce, Rocky Balboa is a relative smash hit. The investors will be more than pleased with such a fantastic, unexpected return.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=rocky6.htm

Indy IV would be much more successful than Rambo IV. I think Rambo would be hot for the first weekend, but would quickly lose steam. Indy IV would have more of a consistent success for a few weeks.

Tim

I'd put my money on Indy IV doing better than Rambo IV, but it is much too early to really know.

I'm definitely looking forward to Indy more, but that's to be expected.

Indy 4 will make more on its opening day than Rambo 4(#3 really) makes in its entire run

Is there any question? That's like comparing Gremlins and Star Wars or something. Obviously, Rambo is not as anticipated as Indy. Indy is huge.

I hate to say it, but Joe's right, Indy will probably make more in its first day than Rambo does in its entire run, unless Rambo is a huge hit (even then there's no way it's topping $150 million, $160 million absolute tops.)

John McTiernan has not made a good film since the last Die Hard, and that one had serious pacing issues.

I have not seen the new trailer but the old one looked rather good too me. Pity we won't be getting a new Kamen score though. :shakehead:

The last Die Hard was excellent. I never had any problem with its pacing.

I don't like the cinematography I've seen in the trailer either. It's all bleak and darkness. Where's the style of Jan DeBont, or the sunny juxtaposition with the intense situations of Peter Menzies?

And Kamen will indeed be missed.

You didn't find the long sequence were they break into the gold vault to be.....a bit exhausting.

Also, McClane and Zeus seem to dissapear for about 15 minutes.

Also I find the climax at the Kanadian border a bit unsatisfacory.

You didn't find the long sequence were they break into the gold vault to be.....a bit exhausting.

Also, McClane and Zeus seem to dissapear for about 15 minutes.

Also I find the climax at the Kanadian border a bit unsatisfacory.

I really don't have a problem with any of that.

Sure, it's not as good as the first one (which, as far as I'm concerned, is probably the perfect ation movie - despite its flaws), but it's still a great ride from start to finish, combining wit and expertly crafted action sequences.

Indy should easily earn over 300 million, and that's the minimum. No movie in 2008 will be able to compete with Indy.

Worldwide? I'd say yes. Domestically? I'd say no. Remember Raiders was the only film to top $200 million in the US. The other two films did $170+ and $190+ and weren't even the top films the summer they were released.

Die Hard 4 sadly looks like a CGI fest and quite frankly we didn't need a 4th one. It won't be the same without Michael Kamen's music.

Sure, it's not as good as the first one (which, as far as I'm concerned, is probably the perfect ation movie - despite its flaws), but it's still a great ride from start to finish, combining wit and expertly crafted action sequences.

In many ways the second film is better then the first.

Indy should easily earn over 300 million, and that's the minimum. No movie in 2008 will be able to compete with Indy.

That remains to be seen. This year has an almost rediculous amount of big movies, and know one really knows what '08 will bring. The only other film that I'm antipating as much as Indy IV is The Dark Knight.

In many ways the second film is better then the first.

There's a lot in Die Hard 2 that rubs me the wrong way. The poorly delivered techno-babble, the obnoxious screaming characters, one gratuitous slow-motion death after the other...

It's a fun film, but nowhere near the first one in my book.

A lot of top box office candidates are coming out in 2008.

Theres a narnia sequel, an iron man film, a mummy sequel, a rambo sequel, a hulk sequel, a new shyamalan movie, a new roland emerich movie, a remake of The day the earth stood still, a sequel to madagascar, another harry potter film and a hellboy sequel. Indy and Rambo are kind of sandwiched in between all of these movies which all carry strong potential with the audience. Something tells me that we will see several of them failing miserably at the box office but on the other hand business will be taken away from real biggies like indy. It will be interesting to see what movie ends up as most successful in 2008.

And of course you never know what else might be rushed into production this year. Stephen Sommers' When Worlds Collide remake is overdue.

Theres a narnia sequel, an iron man film, a mummy sequel, a rambo sequel, a hulk sequel, a new shyamalan movie, a new roland emerich movie, a remake of The day the earth stood still, a sequel to madagascar, another harry potter film and a hellboy sequel.

God, I'm depressed now. I never thought I'd live to see the day when I'd resort to television to get quality entertainment.

I don't see anything on that list than can potentially compete with Indy. I can easily see it being the top movie of '08. And why am I caring about that in April '07? :blink:;)

Harry Potter and Narnia could make a serious dent in IJ's box office.

there is not Harry Potter film going head to head against Indiana Jones, the next HP film is a Nov, 08 release, not a May 08 release.