Chicago Concerts

Tom

I'm going with my father on the Saturday 24th concert. I'm excited, as it is more of his artistic music, which I'm more interested to hear than the typical film score works. He is doing a talk about "The Five Sacred Trees" with the bassoonist David McGill beforehand...anyone going to this?

~Drew R.

I hadn't heard of this, is it open to the public?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going with my father on the Saturday 24th concert. I'm excited, as it is more of his artistic music, which I'm more interested to hear than the typical film score works. He is doing a talk about "The Five Sacred Trees" with the bassoonist David McGill beforehand...anyone going to this?

~Drew R.

I am curious as well... How did you find out about this??? :)

The CSO website says there will be a pre-concert lecture at the Grainger Ballroom on Saturday 24th from 7.00pm to 7.30pm. Where is located the Grainger Ballroom? Is it near the Symphony Center?

Apart from that, the CSO Patron Services told me some weeks ago that a meet-and-greet session with JW is also planned before the Sunday 25th concert. :)

Could anyone record any of the concert?

Well... I would be willing.. I asked on this thread on what equipment to purchase and nobody responded. Then I started a new thread and no one took me seriously there, plus it got moved. So I guess nobody wants it bad enough....

oh well

I plan to check out some recording equipment at some electronics stores nearby. Hopefully I can find something that will produce a decent quality recording and not cost me a fortune.

I'm sorry that I may have caused a little too much excitement. I researched a little and found that the lecture person was To Be Announced. I sent an e-mail to the patron services about it and got this back:

The pre-concert conversation will begin at 7:00 on the 24th in the

Grainger Ballroom. The lecturer has not yet been determined. It is

possible that Mr. Williams will speak, however we will probably not get

confirmation of that until he begins rehearsals with the Orchestra prior

to the Thanksgiving Holiday. Thank you for your inquiry. Your patronage

is very much appreciated.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Best regards,

Patron Services

So he might, I hope he does. It would be most appropriate for him to speak, since it is his work. For those not familiar with this, the Grainger Ballroom is part of the symphony hall right behind the box seats, and the lecture is open to ticket holders. Your ticket is your admission to the lecture. I apologize if I may have risen the hopes of anyone. I could have swore I saw that McGill and Williams were speaking, but I was mistaken. I'm sure the lecture will be good, whoever it is though.

As for myself, I have two tickets in the front row aisle seats of the Right Terrace. It's not acoustically a great place to be, but he's probably not using a screen for this concert, and I'd like to be on top of the orchestra to watch everything.

~Drew

• 2 weeks later...
As for myself, I have two tickets in the front row aisle seats of the Right Terrace. It's not acoustically a great place to be, but he's probably not using a screen for this concert, and I'd like to be on top of the orchestra to watch everything.

~Drew

Very nice... so did you get A26 and A 28? :mellow:

I plan to check out some recording equipment at some electronics stores nearby. Hopefully I can find something that will produce a decent quality recording and not cost me a fortune.

Hey you know you can go to guitar center and rent recording equipment for real cheap.

I have tickets for the Friday and Saturday concerts and will record them using:

iPod 5.5

Belkin TuneTalk Stereo

Sound Professionals external microphone

a 9V battery charger (for recharging the iPod battery during the intermission)

;)

I have tickets for the Friday and Saturday concerts and will record them using:

iPod 5.5

Belkin TuneTalk Stereo

Sound Professionals external microphone

a 9V battery charger (for recharging the iPod battery during the intermission)

:lol:

Which Sound Pro mic are you using? Where are you going to place it during the concert? Where are you sitting? :D

So is there any update on if JW is going to be doing that pre-concert talk?

The CSO folks said they wouldn't know until he arrived to do rehearsals, which I assuming will be monday/tuesday.

Very nice... so did you get A26 and A 28?

I didn't get THAT good. lol. I got A 2 and A 8. They only had singles left. I imagine the view is still great from there though.

~Drew

Anyone ever hear of Miguel Rosario?? He is going to be the lecturer. The CSO website does not say whether John Williams will be included or not. hhhmmmmm

Very nice... so did you get A26 and A 28?

I didn't get THAT good. lol. I got A 2 and A 8. They only had singles left. I imagine the view is still great from there though.

~Drew

Perhaps the two folks in between you wouldn't mind shifting over a seat so you and your friend can sit together. Who knows... If you don't ask you don't get :lol:

Anyone ever hear of Miguel Rosario?? He is going to be the lecturer. The CSO website does not say whether John Williams will be included or not. hhhmmmmm

Perhaps the two folks in between you wouldn't mind shifting over a seat so you and your friend can sit together. Who knows... If you don't ask you don't get :P

That's what I was planning on doing for the seats. I'm sure they won't mind, they're orchestra folks. Just get their early I suppose.

I did see Miguel Rosario marked as the lecturer. Doing a bit of research, the only Miguel Rosario I found was a brass player that has taught their Youth Symphony Orchestra, but that's all I can find, even from checking college faculty near Chicago. Too bad Williams isn't participating!

~Drew

Perhaps the two folks in between you wouldn't mind shifting over a seat so you and your friend can sit together. Who knows... If you don't ask you don't get :)

That's what I was planning on doing for the seats. I'm sure they won't mind, they're orchestra folks. Just get their early I suppose.

I did see Miguel Rosario marked as the lecturer. Doing a bit of research, the only Miguel Rosario I found was a brass player that has taught their Youth Symphony Orchestra, but that's all I can find, even from checking college faculty near Chicago. Too bad Williams isn't participating!

~Drew

Do you still plan on attending the lecture then?

I'm finishing to pack my things, as tomorrow morning I'll leave for Chicago along with three friends of mine to see John Williams' concerts. I'll attend on Friday, Staruday and Sunday. Then I'll pass the rest of the week in New York :)

To the other JWfans that will be there: let's try to meet! I'll search for people in the main lobby during the intermission on the Friday concert.

See you there! :)

Take a flying leap onto the stage and run after him as fast as you can. Push over any musicians if necessary.

I'm finishing to pack my things, as tomorrow morning I'll leave for Chicago along with three friends of mine to see John Williams' concerts. I'll attend on Friday, Staruday and Sunday. Then I'll pass the rest of the week in New York :unsure:

To the other JWfans that will be there: let's try to meet! I'll search for people in the main lobby during the intermission on the Friday concert.

See you there! :lol:

Good idea. I'm flying out Friday morning and will be at the Friday and Saturday performances. I'm going solo on Friday night, but have a family member joining me on Saturday. I've yet to meet anyone from the message boards in person, so that would be pretty cool.

Everyone at the Saturday concert:

In the lobby (before, intermission, after the concert), look for a guy in his mid-20s with red hair. That's me!

(I'm planning to go to the pre-concert lecture, as well.)

Wow, Friday's concert was amazing!

Everyone at the Saturday concert:

In the lobby (before, intermission, after the concert), look for a guy in his mid-20s with red hair. That's me!

(I'm planning to go to the pre-concert lecture, as well.)

Wow, Friday's concert was amazing!

WOW and AMAZING are my sentiments as well!!!

...And the Accidental Tourist was a lovely little surprise :lol:

Hi everyone! I'm writing from the Apple Store in Michigan Avenue :P

Friday and Saturday concert were absolutely amazing and mind-blowing! Johnny looks so good and in great, great shape. He has such a commanding presence while on the podium.

Both concerts were full of highlights moments, so it's difficult for me just to pick one or two. But I have to say I was struck by surprise when JW announced as an encore the love theme from The Accidental Tourist. It's a new, gorgeous, beautiful arrangement I think, as it doesn't resemble to anything I can remember. I have to admit that I broke down in tears like a poor fool when he played it on the Friday concert. The people besides me at the end were looking at me :)

Oh, and it was a real pleasure to meet and hang out for a drink John Takis, Jim Ware, mattmane and the great Doug Adams after yesterday's gig. It's been really great to meet all of you, guys! :)

Now I can't really wait for this afternoon's concert... hehe, it's a real addiction to see a concert every day!

Best of all to everybody,

Maurizio

--

That meeting was a lot of fun last night. I'll be at the concerts this afternoon and Tuesday evening, so I'll probably see you later

As far as I'm aware, there is not going to be a talk before the concert today.

I can't believe I missed everybody.... grrrrrrrr

Well in any case if any of you are interested in some 'memories' of the concerts let me know I would be happy to share =)

What a great concert! I loved that Accidental Tourist love theme, what a nice surprise, and quite a work out for that pianist. She did very nicely. I was in the terrace, anyone happen to see me? I was right above the piano player leaning forward most of the concert. I wasn't expecting to be that close to the stage, I could see his every motion and it was neat being on the orchestra side looking in.

Williams really looked quite energetic compared to some other reports we've gotten. It's good to see him up their conducting and relaxed, especially after such a long week of rehearsals and conducting for him. Certainly a nice warm-up for the Indy sessions coming up soon.

I missed you folks in the lobby, though I was at the pre-concert lecture. A few neat TV cue's the lecturer brought out.

~Drew

Well in any case if any of you are interested in some 'memories' of the concerts let me know I would be happy to share =)

DU LOU, I would love to hear some memories. How was it? :P You're probably thinking, "thats the best he can come up with?". No, really, what did you think of the pieces on the program, the venue, and of course, Williams?

Awesome pic of you guys with Williams!

Thanks! That was the second try we made to see him, the first time we watched him walk the other way down the hallway with a group but we were luckier the second time. He was very kind, as always.

Chicago Sun Times review on the concert not as enthusiatic as your own reviews.

It always saddens me to see the modern day equivalent of opera or ballet music be down trodden into lower class. Only time will allow Williams' music to be heard with unbiased ears. I truly think a lot of the grievances against Williams are only from a twisted jealousy over his ability to support classical composition in a more popular fashion than classical music has ever been able too in recent years.

It's neat some of you got to see him! Where did you go to get to him? The whole place seemed to be buttoned up pretty tight to me.

~Drew

Who is this effing prat?

Irony indeed, I 'll give him an iron to the teeth.

If that c-word speaks that way about my music, I'll punch his effing lights out.

If that c-word speaks that way about my music, I'll punch his effing lights out.

Isn't there a more creative word than "c-word" for the board to replace "c-word" with? We should have a poll to decide. :lol:

From Sunday night...

jim_williams_small.jpg:devil:

I'll be there again tonight!

Incidentally, there's a great typo in that review:

The Five Scared Trees

You waited outside eh?

After I got out of that main CSO hallway in the basement I saw a huge group of people standing in the outer room even though the staff were telling them JW won't come out that way (which he doesn't)

DU LOU, I would love to hear some memories. How was it? ;) You're probably thinking, "thats the best he can come up with?". No, really, what did you think of the pieces on the program, the venue, and of course, Williams?

I would be happy too.. I am working with the files in post using Adobe Audition to attempt to clean them up a little bit though. I am visiting with family at the moment so I am doing it in my spare time and it may take a few days if you wouldn't mind being a little patient :)

I would be happy too.. I am working with the files in post using Adobe Audition to attempt to clean them up a little bit though. I am visiting with family at the moment so I am doing it in my spare time and it may take a few days if you wouldn't mind being a little patient ;)

I'm a little patient... but just a little :)

I know there were a few others who made some as well.... Maybe we can all combine our strength and rule the concert hall as father and son.... errrr I mean we can make an "ultimate album"

I know there were a few others who made some as well.... Maybe we can all combine our strength and rule the concert hall as father and son.... errrr I mean we can make an "ultimate album"

Please do... but fast! I want to hear this performances ;)

From Sunday night...

jim_williams_small.jpg;)

I'll be there again tonight!

Incidentally, there's a great typo in that review:

The Five Scared Trees

Hi all, don't post very often here but I do read all the time and am a big fan. I'm a regular poster over at spielbergfilms.com though and Jim Ware and I met at Tuesday's concert. Thanks to Jim, I was able to meet John Williams after the concert on Tuesday (Jim thought he knew where Williams will exit and he was right!).

I posted some details on that meeting over at Spielbergfilms.com, so I'll just share the link to that thread instead of writing the same story again. http://www.spielbergfilms.com/forum/showpo...mp;postcount=13

To Jim, it was wonderful meeting you and thanks much for the chats while we were there on Tuesday, Send me a message when you return to London from Chicago. -Ron :)

I'll never join you.

I don't know where you get your delusions, laser-brain.

;):)

From Sunday night...

jim_williams_small.jpg;)

Awesome pic. Jim. I bet the photographer was a good one, eh? ;) I think I need to PM you to get mine... he he :) I'll be back home on Sunday, I'm still in NYC. I'll write you asap.

Meeting him again was just awesome. He was so nice and tender. He even put his arm on my shoulder when he posed for the picture! ;)

So, here I am. I've just returned home from my US trip in Chicago and NYC. And an amazing, thrilling journey it was! :rolleyes:

The Chicago concerts were absolutely wonderful, delighting and unforgettable. Johnny was in a very good shape, exuberant. The CSO played all the concerts with such a noble, beautiful feeling. It's difficult to pick the highlights of these concerts, because I was thrilled at almost everything. Probably the highest peak of emotion for me occured during the unexpected encore of the love theme from The Accidental Tourist. This is one of my all-time JW favourites, so I felt almost like he did a special present just for me. During that performance, I started to cry like a poor fool (and it happened also on the Saturday and Sunday performances).

As I've said in the other post, I've had the luck to meet Maestro John Williams after Sunday's afternoon concert and I was even able to take a picture with him. Oh boy, what a thrill! He was so nice, sweet and lovely. What a real gentleman he is! When I said to him I was coming from Italy, he said to me "From Italy? Really? Oh, thank you for coming!" and he smiled at me with the most sincere and truest smile I've ever seen. Then I asked to him if I could take a picture with him and he said jokingly "Sure! You need a photo and you have a photographer!" and he pointed out at JWFan Jim Ware, who was kind enough to shot the picture. Johnny was in a very good mood (and that was evident also from his enthusiasm on the podium), like he was still balmed with the glorious and thunderous reaction the audience gave him during the concert. When he posed for the picture he even put his arm around my shoulder (I wasn't expecting that) and so I did the same with him. I felt like I was hugging with my late grandpa :)

Then I thanked him for the Accidental Tourist piece and I said: "Maestro, I really loved the piece from The Accidental Tourist, thank you for that" and he replied: "Oh, did you like it?" and I said: "It was lovely! I'm really fond of that score!". Then I thanked him again and I was able to say this: "Maestro, your music is always with me, right here" and I placed my hand on my heart and then he said "Grazie!" (which is "Thanks" in Italian language). He then mounted on his car along with his people, waving at me, Jim and the other friends of mine.

I'll post the pictures asap. In the meantime, I wanted just to share this little story with all of you.