Happy 100th birthday, Miklos Rozsa

Figo

Happy birthday to one of my all-time favorite film composers. Everyone, crack out your Ben-Hur. Flog one another in a virtual chariot race. Crush Stephen Boyd beyond recognition.

I don't know about you, but I've been playing Rozsa all week -- I'm really hooked on Lust for Life -- and I plan to watch Eye of the Needle and The Thief of Bagdad tonight.

After I buy a whole heap of Rozsa discs from Screen Archives.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at 9pm it isn't.

And I already spent quite a bit of money today and have to save up for the summer as well.

Miklós will have to wait.

Happy 100th anyway!

Happy Birthday, maestro!

I listened to the Violin Concerto (his greatest work, in my opinion) earlier today, and will listen to the viola one later.

Love them both... his music for Violin is just great!

A perfect time to brush up on my Rozsa. I'm not that familiar with his work outside of Ben-Hur.

Although I don't exactly have a top 10 list, I think Ben-Hur would be on it. All the themes are great, but I especially like The Mother's Love theme. Brings me to tears nearly every time I hear it.

I just bought Spellbound: The Classic Film Scores of Miklos Rozsa, by Charles Gerhardt just today, without realizing how significant this date was.

I didn't have time yesterday, and now I'm too tired after coming home late, but tomorrow I'll have to reserve time for the violin, viola, cello, and piano concertos :)

I just received my copy of "The Private Life OF Sherlock Holmes" in time to celebrate.

How is that re-recording?

I bought the 2-disc King of Kings a couple of months ago. I'd forgotten how much I liked that score as a kid.

I can't really compare since it's been many years since I've seen the film but it sounds good so far.

I've always thought the King Of Kings score was a nice companion to Ben Hur.

• 1 year later...

I have a Rozsa related question- can anyone offer thoughts on the 2 CD set of Sodom and Gomorrah? I'm concidering buying it. El Cid should quench my thirst for epic Rozsa....but that's two months away.

I have a Rozsa related question- can anyone offer thoughts on the 2 CD set of Sodom and Gomorrah? I'm concidering buying it. El Cid should quench my thirst for epic Rozsa....but that's two months away.

You can do no wrong if you like epic Rozsa. Although the old short stereo CD should do as well...all essential themes are on it. There's a typical grand ominous theme opening the score, but for me the selling point, as almost always with Rozsa, is the 'Love Theme' and another sweeping theme which follows. Try the Track 'River Pastorale'...it's gorgeous.