Nostalgia: Which cue/track makes you wanna cry . . .

Josh500

Now, said cues/tracks don't have to be that old that you enjoyed them as a child. When a cue/track makes you think about your childhood (happy or unhappy) in a nostalgic way, it deserves a mention here. Don't just list pieces that move or excite you in some way. Only list tracks/cues that make you wanna relive or go back to your childhood while listening to them.

List the top 5 that come to your mind!

Mine are:

1. A.I. Artificial Intelligence: The Arrival of David (John Williams)

I've said it many times, but I'll say it again. That English horn solo, short as it is, always makes me wanna choke up. I don't bawl like a baby everytime I hear it, God no, but it seems like the possibility is there everytime. This is a sad, gorgeous, thoughtful, melancholy, and existential piece. Maybe not the most obvious choice, but my top pick.

2. Poltergeist: The Neighborhood (Jerry Goldsmith)

The first time the Carol Ann Theme is played. The music is peaceful and gorgeous here, takes me back to when I was a young teenager, in the fall, playing outside my house . . .

3. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial: Over the Moon (John Williams)

I listened to this piece over and over again when I was a kid. I remember being unable to believe someone could play the piano that well. A little later, I couldn't believe someone could write music that beautiful and captivating. Still one of my all-time favorites. And now I can play it on the piano myself!

4. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: Fawkes the Phoenix (John Williams)

When I listen to this piece (and I mean really listen), I can feel myself becoming a child again, almost, as if John Williams is doing everything in his power to bring my childhood back. . . . Also, fantastically performed by the LSO.

5. Born on the Fourth of July: The Early Days, Massapequa, 1957 (John Williams)

We had the English horn solo in The Arrival of David. Here we have a gorgeous oboe solo that plays as Ronny experiences his first kiss during the Fourth of July fireworks. My first kiss wasn't nearly as romantic (and no music playing, either, John Williams or otherwise), but when I listen to this piece I imagine what it could have been. Also, the baseball home run scene is scored to exhilarating perfection.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Main Title March from Superman, Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye from E.T., Somewhere In My Memory from Home Alone and many cues from 007 soundtracks (such as e. g. The Space March/Capsule In Space) come to mind instantly. While I could hardly say that these tracks "make me wanna cry", they do usually turn me very nostalgic and sappy. :)

Appropriately Remembering Childhood from Hook!

and the divine E.T. & Me cue (1982 OST version)

Although Josh, not sure what you mean about wanting to cry? Did you have a bad childhood or something?

Although Josh, not sure what you mean about wanting to cry? Did you have a bad childhood or something?

Well, I didn't, not really. I guess I'd say I had a pretty regular childhood. But thinking back about that period often makes me teary somehow . . . inside, that is. :)

Not sure why.

I think having a happy childhood is the best thing that can happen to a human being . . .

Off the top of my head..............

Bedtime Story (Capricorn One) - When my father went missing on a Mars mission :(

Toy Planes, Home and Hearth (Empire of the Sun) - Nostalgic in many ways. :)

Jim's New Life (Empire of the Sun) - When all was going well :lol:

Safari Park (The Omen) - Apparently this was playing when the family visited Windsor Safari Park (I'm not joking, I remember visiting it on more than one occasion as a Boy) and when I approached a Giraffe the thing ran off screaming after looking into my eyes. I have no idea why :o I mean, what ever did I do to frighten it? :) (BWAHAHAHAHA.......HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!)

Hera's Effigy / Hera's Speaks (Jason & the Argonauts) - Back on a serious note, this one really does remind me of my childhood. It was used in the scenes of the movie whenever Jason was consulting with the Oracle of Hera on the boat. As it was my childhood favourite film (and still is one of my favourites) this particular piece of music really brings me back to lazy sundays watching movies next to an open fire. In fact, most of the score reminds me of childhood for that reason. Talos, etc.

On a side note, whenever I hear 'The Piper Dreams', I get teary about how Jerry Goldsmith is no longer with us :(

Well luckily, I had a GREAT childhood, and the music that makes me most nostalgic is the music that made an impact on me when I was very young.

The pinnacle theme is that regard is E.T. And Me. When I listen to it now - either on the soundtrack, or while watching the film - I get all these flashes of the days when I was only 7 years old. It has made a deep impact on me.

The themes from the Star Wars and the Indiana Jones films have the same affect on me. Oh yeah, and a lot of 80's music, but that's a different story... :)

Various cues from Jurassic Park - every kid is in love with dinosaurs at some point ad the first time seeing Jurassic (no idea when it was) would always be an experience.

Harry's Wondrous World - almost indescribable - has such a Christmassy, magical feel. Has the most effect because Xmas has always, by far, been the highlight of my times as a young'un.

A.I. - the whole score has a very delicate, reflective tone.

The Imperial March. No tears, but huge nostalgia factor. My parents owned the Star Wars and Superman LPs which I used to listen to a lot, but they never bought ESB. I remember borrowing it from the library and listening to the march in glorious stereo, with more music than what was in the movie. Occasionally when I listen to it as an adult, some of the nostalgia and excitment of hearing it for the first time outside the film come back.

"Binary Sunset" from Star Wars.

"Raider's March"

All of Hook, specifically "Remembering Childhood" and "You Are the Pan".

Remembering Childhood, that piano solo.

THe Flying theme played at the end ofThe Arrival of Tink and Flight to Neverland

the RAiders March

Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra

Ice Dance

In no particular order...

Star Wars main title, because is attached to one of my earliest memories.

E.T.'s Flying Theme, because I learned something very special the day I saw that film.

When You're Alone, from Hook, because it was the film we went in our first date, me and my ex-wife.

Copland's Clarinet Concerto, because.

Main theme from Sabrina, because, every time I listen to it, I fall in love.

It's mainly pieces that were a part of my childhood that make me cry that way.

The ending of Kraftwerk's Autobahn (that final portamento chord)

Waltz of the Snowflakes from "Nutcracker" (Tchaikovsky)

The main theme from "Jesus of Nazareth" (Jarre)

Little April Shower from "Bambi"

In general, all Star Wars and Indiana Jones music from 77-84 plus the original Superman makes me feel nostalgic (and those six JW scores are still six of my top ten favorite scores to this day).

But out of all those, the one cue that really stands out as the most nostalgic and emotional is the last segment of The Battle of Yavin (Use The Force?). It takes me back to that very magical night my Dad took my brother and me to see Star Wars in the theater. Even though I've seen the movie a hundred times by now, when hearing the music I still get swept up in the feeling of the first time I saw that scene on the edge of my seat.

After the first two trench runs result in failure, Red Leader bites it, leaving the fate of the galaxy up to the Tatooine farm boy who had never flown a starfighter before this battle. The Death Star closes in on the Rebel base. Leia begins to looks scared and moves a little closer to the Rebel general for comfort. Even though Luke had recently seen the charred remains of his adoptive parents, witnessed his new mentor get cut down by Vader, and watched his new friend Han abandon the doomed rebel cause for the sake of his mercenary ways, Luke focused his resolve onto the task at hand. Biggs and Wedge express their skepticism and R2 works to lock down that loose stabalizer. Vader and his wingmen enter the trench behind the Rebel pilots. Wedge gets shot and has to leave Biggs and Luke. R2 tries to increase the power. Vader closes in.

Then Luke's buddy from back home gets blown away by Vader! The clock is ticking as the Death Star is less than 30 seconds away from being able to destroy Princess Leia, 3PO and the Rebel base, just like Alderaan! Vader announces that he is on the leader, our lone hero in an X-wing! 3PO worries. Luke activates his targeting computer. Then Luke hears Obi-Wan's voice, distracting him from his preparation for the shot. "Use the Force, Luke. Let go, Luke. Luke, trust me." Then Luke turns off his targeting computer! No, Luke! Are you crazy?! Then Vader fries R2! Oh No! The Death Star clears the planet! Tarkin orders the super-weapon to fire as they commence primary ignition! Vader locks Luke's X-wing into his sights and announces his impending triumph over the Rebels as Luke is about to die...

Then suddenly blaster-fire rains down from above and one of Vader's wingmen explodes, fouling Vader's shot at Luke! Ya-hoo! Han came back, just in the knick of time! The Millenium Falcon flies towards them out of the sun! Vader's remaining wingman over-reacts, bumping into Vader! The wingman hits the trench wall and explodes, while Vader spins away out of control! "You're all clear kid! Now let's blow this thing and go home." Luke lets the torpedoes go as he let's out the breathe he had been holding. They find their mark, but will it be in time? The Rebel ships zoom away as the Death Star prepares to fire... BOOM!!! The dreaded Death Star explodes into a zillion atoms! "Great shot, kid! That was one in a million!" "Remember, the Force will be with you, always."

Just typing this brought tears to my eyes. This is the greatest climax in cinematic history, and I will never forget the vivid feelings I felt when seeing (and hearing) this the first time in the theater as a child in the 70's.

1. Yoda's Theme from The Empire Strikes Back

Really, truly brings me back to my childhood. Empire came out at exactly the right time for me, I was 7 and totally into the toys, and completely into the soundtracks. Still have the 2-disc LP version of Empire with the booklet pages inside, absolute heaven for me. Nostalgically, I can recall, in 1990, coming back from my last summer marching band gig on the bus, I had graduated from high school and this was the last time I'd probably be with a lot of those kids. I had my headphones on, and Yoda's Theme started up. I got so nostalgic, I can't tell you. Wow.

2. Star Wars Main Theme

3. Superman March

I can still remember staying up late special to watch Superman on the ABC Sunday Night Movie.

4. Anything from Raiders of the Lost Ark

I love this movie to death (Desert Chase especially, though).

5. The Doctor Who Theme

The original 60s/70s version, particularly the Tom Baker era version. Love the show, then and now. Takes me back to Sunday afternoons watching the compilation episodes, usually an hour and a half for the 4-parters. And reading the Target novelizations. Classic stuff.

What a great thread, thanks for the fun trip!

Cheers!

--Kevin

"Arabian Nights" from Aladdin. Star Wars music.

Haha, actually, that's just stuff that I associate with my childhood? Cry? Probably not. Strangely, I got weepier and more emotional as a teenager.

Just about any track from The Accidental Tourist.

The Slave Children's Crusade, because a friend of mine brought his ToD soundtrack over to the house the night before I first went to Disneyland. It was so fresh in my mind that next day that the two events were forever entwined!

And I've mentioned it before, but the Scene d'Amour from Vertigo reminds me of my parents' divorcing. Doesn't that one just suck? Other people can enjoy that piece, but I am cursed.

And I've mentioned it before, but the Scene d'Amour from Vertigo reminds me of my parents' divorcing. Doesn't that one just suck? Other people can enjoy that piece, but I am cursed.

I think that belongs in this thread: http://jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13854&hl= :lol:

But that does really suck.

5. The Doctor Who Theme

The original 60s/70s version, particularly the Tom Baker era version. Love the show, then and now. Takes me back to Sunday afternoons watching the compilation episodes, usually an hour and a half for the 4-parters. And reading the Target novelizations. Classic stuff.

Welcome indeed! There's a Dr Who thread here somewhere you really should check out. :lol:

only saw Tom Baker in Monarch Of The Glenn, but I preferred Dickie Briers!

Of course neither beats Felicity Kendal.....

Only Mr Kendal is permitted to do that. :lol:

(I love the Felicity Kendal obsession that runs throughout the early 80s comedy The Young Ones.)

They idolise Cliff, but they all fantasise about Felicity :)

There's a great scene where they go on their annual trip to the laundrette, but the washing machines refuse to open to accept the nasty old clothes. They tell the washing machines that they have a bag full of Felicity Kendal's dirty underwear. The washing machines all say "Yumm" and open up. It's nasty but very funny.