Most disappointing scores of 2007 (so far)?

ebertfan92

well, after listening to Golden Compass and once again being disappointed by that big douchebag Desplat (i'll save it all for another post :)), i figured we should all list what we found to be the most disappointing scores of '07.

in ranging order from most crappy to least crappy:

Zodiac (good in film, still one of the most boring albums i've ever listened to)

Right At Your Door

Harry Potter 5 (don't care for any of the Potter scores, but still didn't expect this dull a score)

We Own The Night

I Know Who Killed Me

(from here on things are a weak 3 out of 5 stars)

Meet the Robinsons

American Gangster (there's a 25 minute promo out there....but it ain't really worth hunting it down)

Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium (Desplat even managed to make the wonderfully thematic Aaron Zigman pedestrian)

Shooter

The Brave One

Hostel Part 2

Lust, Caution (stupid Desplat)

Eastern Promises

Lions for Lambs

The Seeker - The Dark Is Rising

Bug

Rendition

Reservation Road

Perfect Stranger

Jane Austen Book Club (i blame his associations with Desplat for this being a weak Zigman score :P)

The Golden Compass (gawddammit Desplat!)

Premonition

phew, well, i feel exhaustively cranky. what're your guys' pics? (i already can see many "The Kingdom"'s being thrown out there).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd certainly be interested to hear why you think Desplat is so awful. As far as I'm concerned, he was of the few working composers who has any kind of talent and knack for coming up with original ideas.

Lust, Caution is easily one of my favorite scores of the year along with Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium.

I'd certainly be interested to hear why you think Desplat is so awful. As far as I'm concerned, he was of the few working composers who has any kind of talent and knack for coming up with original ideas.

Lust, Caution is easily one of my favorite scores of the year along with Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium.

Yep, given the previous years. I must listen his 2007 scores now.

Outside of Ratatouille I can't say I've been too impressed by any score this year, which is sadly becoming a trend over the last 5 years.

I haven't heard anything of Desplat's, but a quick perusal of soundtracks on iTunes reveals that he's very interesting. Sort of a European Philip Glass, only more romantic.

I haven't heard anything of Desplat's, but a quick perusal of soundtracks on iTunes reveals that he's very interesting. Sort of a European Philip Glass, only more romantic.

Oh, you're in for a treat. To start off, I would suggest Girl With a Pearl Earing and Hostage which are two very different scores. If you like those, I would definitely seek out: The Luzhin Defence, Nid de Guêpes, The Painted Veil, The Queen and Lust, Caution.

L'Ennemi Intime is also a great score if you're looking for a challenge. I say that because it's difficult to get into, but rewarding once you do.

Ratatouille (sorry koray). I don't think I've ever listened to it more than once or twice.

It's not that it's a bad score, I just find it to be slightly dull. It may partly be due to the fact that I've never seen the movie. But even so, I didn't find any tracks like "The Incredits" in Ratatouille.

indy4 - who loves new film music

No, but that was one of the highlights of the alubm. Very catchy, I do like that one track.

Again, because I know some people may misunderstand me, it's not that I dislike the score, I just find it a bit dull at times.

I understand indy4, but it's worth giving at another shot. At first I wasn't particularly warm with the score - firstly, seeing the movie is a massive help to appreciating the score - it's a brilliant movie and Giacchino once again masterfully complements the on-screen action, but a bit more subtly than The Incredibles.

Cues such as "100 Rat Dash", "Wall Rat" (particularly) and "Collete Shows Him Le Ropes" are so much more enjoyable after hearing them in context.

Yeah, the movie helps with liking the score, although I find it just as enjoyable without the film.

Le Festin is a great song, wouldn't be surprised if that gets nominated. Wall Rat, Cast Of Cooks, Colette Shows Him Le Ropes, and End Creditouilles are the key tracks. I love Cast Of Cooks because it's similar to the lounge music heard in The Incredibles.

Michael Clayton. It's been mentioned somewhere before but what the heck.

I really hoped this would be another nice Interpreter-like score. This one wouldn't even have been worth releasing digitally, let alone on album (sorry James).

I thought Ratatouille had problems. The score is nice.

It does - running length and a slow, meandery middle section mainly. But still better than 90% of the crap Hollywood has produced in the last few years. And better than 100% of Dreamworks' animated movies.

I haven't even heard any scores from films this year. Most typical movies (like American Gangster, etc.) no matter how good they are, usually have forgettable scores. Scores are just not important to film makers anymore, so it takes a particularly epic film to have a good score nowadays, in my opinion. The rest is too derivative. I honestly can say that aside from the new Harry Potter score (I've never really caught on to the HP craze, even the music) I haven't even heard any 2007 score aside from in the movie. What a terrible year.

Zodiac (good in film, still one of the most boring albums i've ever listened to)

Strange, I thought it was the best thing of the year. Both in film and on album (with nice easter egg at the end).

Harry Potter 5 (don't care for any of the Potter scores, but still didn't expect this dull a score)

True.

Lust, Caution (stupid Desplat)

The Golden Compass (gawddammit Desplat!)

Seriously, of all composers to hate...

Karol, who liked Ratatouille quite a bit, but was seriously disappointed with Pan's Labyrinth (which came out here in march).

I'd certainly be interested to hear why you think Desplat is so awful?

Maybe because he's 12 years old and his musical perception skills are on deaf-mole level?

This kind of statement would suggest that you know absolutely nothing about music in any sense of the word.

EDIT- okay that may seem a little harsh but it's one thing to not like Desplat's style but to outright invalidate his compositional abilities would honestly suggest that the person making such statements has little understanding of formal music theory or practices. Desplat has more inherent musical abilities than almost anyone in Hollywood at the present time. His music may sound "thin" or transparent because he scores for orchestra differently than the Hollywood credo of overdone, thick-as-molasses orchestrations.

Karol, who liked Ratatouille quite a bit, but was seriously disappointed with Pan's Labyrinth (which came out here in march).

Do you mean the movies or the soundtracks?

American Gangster

I barely noticed the score during the movie and I can't remember a note of it afterwards. Disappointing, especially for a Ridley Scott film. Shoulda been Hans or Harry.

I thought Ratatouille had problems. The score is nice.

It does - running length and a slow, meandery middle section mainly. But still better than 90% of the crap Hollywood has produced in the last few years. And better than 100% of Dreamworks' animated movies.

It's got slow sections, it's got a totally unintersting principle character (Linguini), and a villain that leaves a lot to be desired. For me, Pixar failed to deliver the knock-out they yusually do on a story level. No arguing with the technical level, of courser. Stunning film.

While this is a gazillion miles ahead of Cars, the two represent a worrysome trend......with both of them, I got a feel that they weren't working as hard. As much as I enjoy some of the Dreamworks film, even I can't argue that Pixar's an arm and a leg ahead in it's stories, and the past two have been iffy (Cars was just bad. The One man band short before it is so much better than anything in the movie it's kind of sad).

As I understand there were many script and character problems plaguing the film up until it's final cut. Brad Bird's influence over the film is nowhere near as present as in The Incredibles (which I consider PIXAR's best to date) as he was not part of the project from its beginnings.

As a result, it does seem a tad disjointed and lacking the depth of character (or likability) of Bird's previous efforts.

We share a hate for Desplat. I liked American Gangster, can't wait for Varese to release the score, I have the 2 tracks that came on the soundtrack.

allright, koray! that's the spirit!

i can't stand all this Desplat adoration. i've yet to go on any film score website where reviewers didn't treat him like the next Bernard Herrmann. glad to see someone backing me up. his music is just so boring, so dull, so...aggressively average. i've yet to hear a score of his i hate, but i've yet to hear one i really like too...and i've listened to LOTS. i even have CD's of some of his french films. and it STILL all sounds the same!

We share a hate for Desplat. I liked American Gangster, can't wait for Varese to release the score, I have the 2 tracks that came on the soundtrack.

allright, koray! that's the spirit!

i can't stand all this Desplat adoration. i've yet to go on any film score website where reviewers didn't treat him like the next Bernard Herrmann. glad to see someone backing me up. his music is just so boring, so dull, so...aggressively average. i've yet to hear a score of his i hate, but i've yet to hear one i really like too...and i've listened to LOTS. i even have CD's of some of his french films. and it STILL all sounds the same!

Well since you seem to be sharing, I cannot stand all this anti-Desplat vitriol. And frankly it's fine for you not to prefer his compositional style but to invalidate someone's abilities though the most generic adjectives only reveals more about the author's lack of understanding of music rather than any technical shortcomings of Desplat.

I bet you love Hans Zimmer don't you? If you do, this would all make sense.

What does Hans Zimmer got to do with it?

I don't like Desplat because he has very minimalistic scores that have little variance. I haven't really heard any of his work in full, nor do I own any of his CD's, so I don't really feel right judging his music. From what was in The Queen, I didn't like his work very much. However, I tried giving him another chance by trading for this Desplat Suites 4CD set thing. I think it's a bootleg, and I couldn't find any track listings for it, so I never listened to it.

I think it's just his style that I'm just not attracted to. Currently, for me, he goes down there with Philip Glass (I think most of you know my views on Glass). I'm willing to give him another try, but it'll most likely be useless. I already have a mindset (although it may be improperly conceived) of his compositions, and it'll take something really good to change that.

What does Hans Zimmer got to do with it?

I don't like Desplat because he has very minimalistic scores that have little variance. I haven't really heard any of his work in full, nor do I own any of his CD's, so I don't really feel right judging his music. From what was in The Queen, I didn't like his work very much. However, I tried giving him another chance by trading for this Desplat Suites 4CD set thing. I think it's a bootleg, and I couldn't find any track listings for it, so I never listened to it.

I think it's just his style that I'm just not attracted to. Currently, for me, he goes down there with Philip Glass (I think most of you know my views on Glass). I'm willing to give him another try, but it'll most likely be useless. I already have a mindset (although it may be improperly conceived) of his compositions, and it'll take something really good to change that.

my response was actually leveled at ebertfan2.

Besides the fact that Desplat is incredibly thematic, he is almost polar opposite of Williams in most regards which may be why some have trouble getting into his music. It's much quieter and subtle. He doesn't do a lot of really loud, bold music (although he has done his share). One cue that sums up perfectly why I like Desplat so much is "The Water Wheel" from The Painted Veil. The string and flute ostinato played under the twinkling piano is just sublime.

Oh, you're in for a treat. To start off, I would suggest Girl With a Pearl Earing and Hostage which are two very different scores. If you like those, I would definitely seek out: The Luzhin Defence, Nid de Guêpes, The Painted Veil, The Queen and Lust, Caution.

L'Ennemi Intime is also a great score if you're looking for a challenge. I say that because it's difficult to get into, but rewarding once you do.

Girl with A Pearl Earring has a nice theme, just so long as you've never heard the Love Theme from Ben-Hur.

I'd certainly be interested to hear why you think Desplat is so awful?

Maybe because he's 12 years old and his musical perception skills are on deaf-mole level?

This kind of statement would suggest that you know absolutely nothing about music in any sense of the word.

EDIT- okay that may seem a little harsh but it's one thing to not like Desplat's style but to outright invalidate his compositional abilities would honestly suggest that the person making such statements has little understanding of formal music theory or practices. Desplat has more inherent musical abilities than almost anyone in Hollywood at the present time. His music may sound "thin" or transparent because he scores for orchestra differently than the Hollywood credo of overdone, thick-as-molasses orchestrations.

I meant the POSTER, not Desplat, of course.

The Girl With the Pearl Earing is one of the worst scores of all time. Never regretted spending money on a CD so much in my life!

Transformers. I've heard it hundreds of times before. Such a waste.

The Girl With the Pearl Earing is one of the worst scores of all time. Never regretted spending money on a CD so much in my life!

Absolute nonsense. <_<

Transformers. I've heard it hundreds of times before. Such a waste.

For something to be disappointing, one must have had hope that it might have been good. This is not the case with Transformers, I knew going in the score would be bad.

For something to be disappointing, one must have had hope that it might have been good. This is not the case with Transformers, I knew going in the score would be bad.

So did I. Then again, Zimmer has done tons of repetitive scores, yet I have still come away on occasion actually enjoying one, regardless.

So did I. Then again, Zimmer has done tons of repetitive scores, yet I have still come away on occasion actually enjoying one, regardless.

Why did you buy Transformers if you knew it would be bad??

Unless you didn't buy it.