What is the last film you watched?

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

indy4, that's not a spoiler. What Joe mentioned happens in the first scene of Citizen Kane. The mystery is what "rosebud" means, not the fact that he said it.

Oh, I see. Alright, my bad, Joe. Still, spoiler bars would be appreciated.

I appreciate it, koray, but I think I'll just watch the movie, however "boobless" it may be. :)

Oh, and I'm taping Batman Begins, so I'll hopefully be able to see it soon.

Just finished Disc 1 of Home Movies Season 2. I love this show so much, the writing is brilliant and hilarious. I recommend it to anyone who likes realistic humor and movies, and of course fans of Dr. Katz.

is the funniest character created on television IMO.

On to Disc 2...

Creating the Lord of the Rings Symphony: A great, 52 minute DVD, most of it being clips from a concert, but with some commentary by Howard Shore (that he was obviously reading off something). I recomend it for anyone who likes the LotR music, it was great.

Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End. I was a little disappointed with this one. The story was all over the place not as simple as the first one. Davy Jones was a great actor, the ILM once again outdid themselves. Of course Bill Nighy also gave a great performance. The score was easily the best of the trilogy and it is unfortunate that Zimmer didn't take the first score himself. He could have made a great trilogy of scores.

The plot of the third one was WAY too confusing. Every scene they were on a new pirate ship, with a new pirate, making a new deal to betray a new person. But it is extremely entertaining, and overall a good film. And yes, the score is absolutley fantastic.

Mulan.

It's a nice movie with several spectacular scenes, but it also seems to portray going to war in ancient China as a merry business where fun chaps sing their way onto the battlefield. It undermines the movie's more serious tones.

I don't care that much for the songs, but Goldsmith's score is awesome. While it occasionally feels disconnected when heard away from the film, it supports the movie wonderfully and tells the story in a way only someone like Goldsmith could do. Why Disney didn't give this score some more attention I can hardly understand. The album is rediculously short and I was rather miffed to find only a five-minute featurette on the songs when I selected the "Music" option on the 2nd DVD.

It may not be one of Disney's greatest, but it's still a nice way to spend 84 minutes. Even more so if you like good film scores.

I can't stand the movie. Way too cutesy. And those songs are horrible! Fantastic score was the only thing keeping me the last time I saw it.

The Godfather. Good film all the way through but I'm never really blown away, touched or intrigued by a particular moment. But sure, it's a good film.

I am constantly blown away by the film. No matter what mood I'm in, what I'm expecting, what I want to focus on, I am with the film 100% the instant we hear "I believe in America". Probably my favorite opening to a movie ever, one of my favorite closings ever, and I love just about everything in between, aside from the Italy sequence, which is good, but not quite as riveting as the rest of it. The most concrete absolute favorite movie I've ever had.

I watched Superbad yesterday. Kevin Smith meets American Pie - nice formula, but the film is a tad too long. And why did I expect the two friends to make out at the end? Was that just that me or did someone else catch signs all through the script?

A lot has been written about homo-eroticism in recent movies, this movie sited as one of the prime examples. I personally did not care for it. Didn't really like the two kids, thought the McLovin' thing was trying to hard to be cultish. The funniest part of the film for me was the end credits.

To Kill a Mockingbird. Pretty great film. Beautiful score, but maybe it's too romantic.

I suspect the film was ruined for me by the indelible impression the book made. I first saw the movie right after reading the book, and didn't like it. I tried again a couple of years ago, and I liked parts of it (Peck, of course, the feel of the town, and the score), but still, didn't really connect with it.

Creating the Lord of the Rings Symphony: A great, 52 minute DVD, most of it being clips from a concert, but with some commentary by Howard Shore (that he was obviously reading off something). I recomend it for anyone who likes the LotR music, it was great.

I was rather bored by it. The commentary was so dull and he read it so stiffly. And I already have the music. Waste of $10.

I saw two films in the past couple of days-

The Getaway. A lesser Sam Peckinpah film, another pair of lovers on a crime spree, a genre which is not lacking entries from the late '60s, early '70s. Steve McQueen is cool as ever, but he seems to be trying to make up for Ali MacGraw's lackluster presence. Some nice tension-racked scenes, along with ridiculesly prolonged ones. I was not crazy about Quincy Jones's score.

Not a bad movie, but not a memorable one, either. **1/2/****.

The Lavendar Hill Mob. Wonderful Ealing caper comedy. Alec Guinness as a bank employee who devises a plan to steal gold bullion and have a neighbor (Stanley Holloway) melt it down into souvenir Eiffel Towers and ship it to France, where it can be sold. Could have been a senseless madcap comedy, but it's anchored by the performances of Holloway and especially Guinness, who makes for a wonderfully sensible 'man with the plan'.

***/****. Next up- Kind Hearts and Coronets.

The Godfather. Good film all the way through but I'm never really blown away, touched or intrigued by a particular moment. But sure, it's a good film.

Perhaps the most overrated movie of all time.Along with Apocalypse.Now.

There is Brando in both of them.Coincidence.

The Lavendar Hill Gang. Wonderful Ealing caper comedy. Alec Guinness as a bank employee who devises a plan to steal gold bullion and have a neighbor (Stanley Holloway) melt it down into souvenir Eiffel Towers and ship it to France, where it can be sold. Could have been a senseless madcap comedy, but it's anchored by the performances of Holloway and especially Guinness, who makes for a wonderfully sensible 'man with the plan'.

***/****. Next up- Kind Hearts and Coronets.

Love both of those. Make sure and see the Ealing Ladykillers if you haven't already.

Isn't it The Lavender Hill Mob?

Indeed it is. My mistake.

Perhaps the most overrated movie of all time.Along with Apocalypse.Now.

There is Brando in both of them.Coincidence.

It may be a coincidence. That still wouldn't explain one's dislike for two great movies.

Love both of those. Make sure and see the Ealing Ladykillers if you haven't already.

Oh, I will be. I just saw Kind Hearts and Coronets. Of the three Ealing movies I've seen so far (Whiskey Galore! being the third. I've seen more, but I can't recall them), this one is definitely my favorite. I was expecting a slapstick-y comedy with Alec Guinnes showing off. I was wonderfully surprised to find that this is a devilish, dry, funny, and quite involving movie. Sure Guinness is admirable and quite humerous, Dennis Price, an actor I don't think I'd ever seen before, admirably carried the picture. He reminded me of a young Christopher Lee, both in appearance and demeanor.

The movie doesn't really hit any false notes, and never faulters in it's wickedly amoral tone. Even the ending, where it is implied that the game is up, doesn't feel tacked on (as it did with The Lavendar Hill Mob). On the Criterion DVD they have a scene from the original American release, which adds one scene conclusively showing what happened next....quite unnecessary.

I am looking forward to the second DVD, which includes a documentry about Ealing and a lengthy interview with Guinness.

Most definitely recommended for all those who can enjoy amorality tastefully revelled in on screen.

***1/2/****.

P.S. one of the most surprising and enjoyable things about the film is the opulence of it production. The previous Ealing movies I saw were nice and good and had effective settings...but they did feel rather strung together (in an endearing way). This one looked magnificent, with elegant cinematography by Douglas Slocombe.

- Marc, who has not yet purchased Die Hard 4.0, as the Dutch release does not include the unrated cut.

I borrowed it from my sister. I also want to purchase the unrated cut.

Ideally, I'd like to have both. Unfortunately, the only release that's supposed to feature both has a seamless branching error meaning one line is still missing from the unrated cut for some odd reason. I'm hoping this gets fixed so I can buy a corrected version somewhere down the road.

I had already established I was only going to do one episode a day.

It's part of my one episode/movie a day thing, you know.

You could push it 2 to 3 episodes a day, then it becomes like watching 1 movie a day. I was going to do 1 disc a day, but yesterday I went all out and did 3 discs.

You're not even getting into the meat of the season! Around midway is where it gets really good. From The Man From Tallahassee to the Finale are the best episodes.

I know. I already saw the season when it first aired.

I'm just taking my time, going about it the same way I have for the past year (and before that).

Also: that LotR DVD, does it have much music from the symphony? Or is it all from the OSTs?

It's all from the "Symphony". Or at least most of it, I don't recall specifics. It was nice as a bonus DVD along with ROTK, but for actual sale, I'd rather pick up a DVD of the full concert.

Or actually, I'd rather have Shore do a better concert arrangement of the whole thing and then put that on DVD...

I've read that others here didn't much care for "Sunshine," but I absolutely loved it. It's definitely one of the best movies I've seen from 2007. It's a pure cinematic experience, and those come by so rarely.

Ted

What about the 1/6 of the movie between the first half and the last third, huh? What about that?

~Sturgis, on a math trip (not to be confused with meth trip)

Barton Fink: Thank the gods for the Coen brothers!

One of their better films I think, even though it doesn't make a lick of sense.

Barton Fink: Thank the gods for the Coen brothers!

One of their better films I think, even though it doesn't make a lick of sense.

Actually, the film chooses not to spell everything out and intentionally leaves questions so the viewer can contemplate on them (and maybe even revisit the movie). That doesn't mean that what you're seeing doesn't make sense.

I need to see the Coen's lesser known films. I still haven't seen Barton Fink, The Hudsucker Proxy, or The Man Who Wasn't There. And I haven't seen Blood Simple!

The Man Who Wasn't There is hardly one of their lesser films. And the others are all good.

I love Hudsucker. Blood Simple seemed good, but it was just so weird (like Gilliam on drugs) that it scared the garbage out of me.

I knew I couldn't say that here...

I didn't find Blood Simple. to be that weird. It's darkness is a bit oppressive, though, even though it pays off with the fantastic play of light in the finale.

I like Hudsucker a great deal. Love the feel and look of it, as well as the feel and loof of the performers. Paul Newman's fantastic.

Morlock- who's in the midst of watching The Beatles Anthology

And the first 2 were not over the top?

the first Die Hard featured little in the way of over the top unrealisitic action that Live Free or Die Hard featured ever few seconds. So don't even go there Master.

In the 2nd Die Hard, credibility was stretched but never as thin(or torn as is the case) as in Live Free or Die Hard,

It has its ludicrous moments, but I was enjoying the film enough to not really care about them being rediculous. I rather enjoyed it for what it was.

Die Hard 2 I find the worst of the bunch. It tries to be dramatic when it really isn't.

Also, so much for credibility.

yippeekiyay.jpg

yes Marc, ejector seats are incredible, becuase they arn't really used at all. :| but I get your point, I said it stretched credibility, but never as much as 3 or 4 did. 4 might as well be a science fiction flick cause that was not the real world at all.

I find the 4 the worst. The order Marc, from best to worst is this: Die Hard, Die Harder, Die Hardest, and Live Free or Die Hard.

It's very good, but I prefer Blood Simple.

The second time that one was disappointing to me.

No, I must say, Miller's Crossing is the crowning achievement of their career. Of course, I haven't seen The Ladykillers (but that one isn't any good, I hear) and No Country For Old Men. I think their most overrated film is Fargo.

That's what I think!

Alex

Millers Crossing is a great movie, but it doesn't feel like a Coen film, maybe thats why I liked this one.

Miller's Crossing is as good a film as they've made, although I personally love Big Lebowski just as much. The Ladykillers was not terrible, it had some good performances and great cinematography (as all their films have), but it is the least impressive of their films. And Marlon Wayans brings the fim down several notches. Irma P. Hall, though, is terrific, as is Tzi Ma. Hanks is good. JK Simmons is dissapointing....his performances are generally highlights of any given film (including the Spiderman films, and, most recently, Juno, where he's fantastic).

I think that Fargo is only overrated in that it's treated as their best film, as the film against all others should be judged. Overrated, yes. But still a fantastic film.

Fargo is so overrated. How that lady won best actress is hard to beleive. Her performance was the worst in the last 25 years of that award. She didn't even have enough screen time of to warrent best actress.

Nonsense. She was the core of the film. And she gave a wonderful performance. AND I don't think any best actress-winning performance is less impressive than Jessica Lange's in Blue Sky. Although Emily Watson did deserve the award that year for Breaking the Waves.

yes Marc, ejector seats are incredible, becuase they arn't really used at all. :| but I get your point, I said it stretched credibility, but never as much as 3 or 4 did. 4 might as well be a science fiction flick cause that was not the real world at all.

I can see what you mean.

I think I just enjoyed the whole thing enough to suspend my disbelief and go with it. Guess it didn't work for you. Oh well.

I find the 4 the worst. The order Marc, from best to worst is this: Die Hard, Die Harder, Die Hardest, and Live Free or Die Hard.

I disagree. I would rank them like this:

Die Hard

Die Hard with a Vengeance

Die Hard 4.0

Die Hard 2

I've only seen the fourth one once, though.

I love Hudsucker. Blood Simple seemed good, but it was just so weird (like Gilliam on drugs) that it scared the garbage out of me.

I knew I couldn't say that here...

I didn't find Blood Simple. to be that weird. It's darkness is a bit oppressive, though, even though it pays off with the fantastic play of light in the finale.

Erm... actually, I meant to say Barton Fink. Blood Simple is somewhat weird, but in a very different way. Not my favourite Coens movie, but really good.

Nonsense. She was the core of the film. And she gave a wonderful performance. AND I don't think any best actress-winning performance is less impressive than Jessica Lange's in Blue Sky. Although Emily Watson did deserve the award that year for Breaking the Waves.

Nonsense she was in the movie for slightly more than 30 minutes.

I don't mean to compare it to say Meryl Streep's performance in Sophie's Choice because all other best actress award winners(hell almost all acting performances) come up short against that performance, but its not even Monster Ball quality and that was a shame too.

Irrelevant of screen time, she was the leading performer in that film, and actually was the core of it. It's not like Nicole Kidman in The Hours, which is a fine performance, but not really any bigger a part than the other two women in that film.

And it's a shame about Sophie's Choice. Great performance, in that rather unimpressive film.

Irrelevant of screen time, she was the leading performer in that film, and actually was the core of it. It's not like Nicole Kidman in The Hours, which is a fine performance, but not really any bigger a part than the other two women in that film.

And it's a shame about Sophie's Choice. Great performance, in that rather unimpressive film.

one again your credibility drops into the negative range, Sophie's Choice is a terrific and wonderful film, filled with great performances throughout.

rob, no one complains because Hopkins performance is one of the greatest of all times. Indeed, Streeps performance has been deemed one of the 3 top performances ever in film, and I agree.

Sophie's Choice is badly shot, has problems with both MacNicol and Kline, has conceptual problems, mood problems....it's a very problematic film

Sophie's Choice is badly shot, has problems with both MacNicol and Kline, has conceptual problems, mood problems....it's a very problematic film

its a beautifully shot film, it should have beaten Gandhi, but you're right Academy Award winner and nominee Nestor Almedro's shot a hideous film, and Alan Paluka's Oscar nominated screenplay is the pits.

The movie is not hideous. It looks fine. But it feels wrong. It often feels very Hallmark-y (The b&w looks horrible). And Pakula is hardly known for his writing. The only writing he's done that was even decent was Presumed Innocent.

MacNicol's Stingo is annoying and utterly unlikable. Kline feels like he's doing an acting exercise, not at all specific to his character. The ending is very much lacking punch, despite all the attempts to schmaltzify it. Streep is a rock in the film. But very little around her works.

Yet another overrated film from 1982 (even though there were several people who saw it's flaws back then).