What is the last film you watched?

Mr. Breathmask

It was a personification. As showy and meaty as role may have been, there's no denying it was a powehouse performance.

Perhaps the Morlock doesn't know who she is personifying.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed La Vie en Rose immensely. For being a somewhat straight-arrowed biopic, I found it much more engaging than more boring efforts like Walk the Line and Ray. The performances were terrific, as was the set design, art direction, and photography. It wouldn't place it in a top ten for the year, but I'd rank it among the best 15 or 20.

Ted

I enjoyed La Vie en Rose immensely. For being a somewhat straight-arrowed biopic, I found it much more engaging than more boring efforts like Walk the Line and Ray. The performances were terrific, as was the set design, art direction, and photography. It wouldn't place it in a top ten for the year, but I'd rank it among the best 15 or 20.

Ted

Good score too which, BTW, won the BAFTA

Field of Dreams: This is the second time I saw it, but I really only remembered the "If You Build It, He Will Come" part from my first viewing. Great, emotional film. James Earl Jones was fantastic. ***1/2/*****

The score was also very nice and emotional. I'll add it to my long to buy list.

The Departed

Saw this two weeks ago and really liked it. My first Scorcesse film!

I'll have to look at some of his more classic stuff. A

~Sturgis

The Departed is a film of his commercial period. These days it seems Scorsese wants to please a very broad public (he already succeeds with picking the bankable Leo for all of his latest and future films). His more "classis stuff" is indeed what you should be looking out for.

The Departed

Saw this two weeks ago and really liked it. My first Scorcesse film!

I'll have to look at some of his more classic stuff. A

~Sturgis

The Departed is a film of his commercial period. These days it seems Scorsese wants to please a very broad public (he already succeeds with picking the bankable Leo for all of his latest and future films). His more "classis stuff" is indeed what you should be looking out for.

The Departed was just as good, if not better, than some of his classics IMO. But I agree with what you are saying. I didn't enjoy Gangs Of New York or The Aviator that much. Maybe I should give them each another viewing.

Schindler's List was more than an attempt to garner a golden statue or two. I definitely see a different motivation there. In fact, I feel Spielberg made a deep personal statement with this film, something that surpasses the triviality of the Oscars.

Alex

Schindler's List was more than an attempt to garner a golden statue or two. I definitely see a different motivation there. In fact, I feel Spielberg made a deep personal statement with this film, something that surpasses the triviality of the Oscars.

Alex

Let's say lightning did strike twice at a time in this case: the political aspect of a theme which haunted Spielberg was mandatory enough for the industry to choose the until-then bridesmaid of the Oscars now as the real deal. The theme couldn't be ignored. And for all the critical blablah about it, he really deserved it.

I don't know about 'Saving Private Ryan' which is a technical achievement but not much else, but if not for 'Jaws' or 'E.T.', 'Schindler' was the right film to honour for this particular director, as was 'The Apartment' for Wilder.

I was bored silly by it. And, again, I never connected with the performance. Kept on seeing a stunner in make-up. Control is easily the best musical bio-pic I've seen in recent years (With arresting photography).

It was a personification. As showy and meaty as role may have been, there's no denying it was a powehouse performance.

Perhaps the Morlock doesn't know who she is personifying.

You are correct, I knew nothing of Piaf aside from a few of her songs. Obviously, this is critical. But I didn't know anything about Johnny Cash before Walk The Line, and that movie inspired to me to check his work out, and now I'm crazy about Cash, and Control grabbed me, desptie the fact that I knew absolutely nothing about Joy Devision, nor was I familiar with any of their songs.

I didn't enjoy Gangs Of New York or The Aviator that much. Maybe I should give them each another viewing.

Both are clearly made to have a go at the Oscars.

Yes, Gangs of New York and The Aviator are Oscar movies. But, like Schindler, another Oscar movie, there's more at work than just that. I feel strong passion from both films, and both are extraordinary in their way. Sure, they are not as single-minded as masterpieces like Taxi Driver or Age of Innocence...but they are damn fine movies. The Departed is a yarn, with some pathos (for lack of a better word). A good yarn is not easy to find these days, and I was thankful for it.

I don't know about 'Saving Private Ryan' which is a technical achievement but not much else, but if not for 'Jaws' or 'E.T.', 'Schindler' was the right film to honour for this particular director, as was 'The Apartment' for Wilder.

IMO, discounting SPR as not much more than a technical achievmant is severly selling it short.

Morlock- who just rented Romance and Cigarettes and The Proposition, and is pretty psyched about the prospects of both

Write up of some of the flicks I've watched in the past few weeks

The Kingdom - Typical action movie but ultimately forgettable. Elfman's main titles were the most interesting part of his score.

Alife (remake) - I'd wanted to see this based on the first trailer and how likable Law seemed. Contrary to most opinions I've read about it, it wasn't that bad and I enjoyed it. Ultimately not a feel-good movie but it was fine nonetheless.

A Bridge Too Far - After reading Goldman's book on screenwriting and all the fighting he went through to keep a lot of the scenes in the movie, I felt that it went on a bit too long and could've definately used a bit of trimming. I liked most of the dialogue but the movie as a whole made no real impression on me. I'll need to watch it again.

Dr. Strangelove - Didn't really make an impression on me while I was watching it but I'm liking it more as I think about it afterwards. Loved Scott's performance as well as Sellers'.

When Harry Met Sally - Always liked Billy Crystal but I never watched this movie until now and I'm glad I did. Probably one of my favorite comedies now and it still holds up great. Nice commentary as well.

Also watched Secret Window again. It's definately gotten better since the first time I saw it and I wish the score had a proper release.

Night at the Museum: The idea was very very nice. I really enjoyed that part of it. Some of the slapstick humor seemed to drag on and get a bit tiresome, but I still thought it was a very nice film. ***/*****

The score was also very good, I picked it up a bit after I saw the film.

Mean Girls: I was bored, there was nothing else on, you know, the usual excuses. :fouetaa: It actually wasn't that bad. The message was quite good, though the ending was very unrealistic. There were a couple great jokes hidden in the film, and I felt the editing was done very nicely. And it was nice to see all those folks from SNL acting in it. **3/4/*****

I don't know about 'Saving Private Ryan' which is a technical achievement but not much else ...

IMO, discounting SPR as not much more than a technical achievmant is severly selling it short.

In all honesty, I too see it mostly as a technical showcase. I'm referring to the two battle scenes (the beach and the village). They are simply incredible! The rest of the movie is just filler to me.

I don't know about 'Saving Private Ryan' which is a technical achievement but not much else ...

In all honesty, I too see it mostly as a technical showcase. I'm referring to the two battle scenes (the beach and the village). They are simply incredible! The rest of the movie is just filler to me.

It's from Steve's didactic period...and since i'm wary of a) Spielberg's screenwriters of late and b) american didactics, i'm yawning through the whole narrative. It may be no Hallmark level of offensiveness, but it's certainly no big shakes in the philosophy department, either.

Write up of some of the flicks I've watched in the past few weeks

The Kingdom - Typical action movie but ultimately forgettable. Elfman's main titles were the most interesting part of his score.

Alife (remake) - I'd wanted to see this based on the first trailer and how likable Law seemed. Contrary to most opinions I've read about it, it wasn't that bad and I enjoyed it. Ultimately not a feel-good movie but it was fine nonetheless.

Dr. Strangelove - Didn't really make an impression on me while I was watching it but I'm liking it more as I think about it afterwards. Loved Scott's performance as well as Sellers'.

When Harry Met Sally - Always liked Billy Crystal but I never watched this movie until now and I'm glad I did. Probably one of my favorite comedies now and it still holds up great. Nice commentary as well.

I agree with the above, except for Dr. Strangelove....It does get much, much better with successive viewings.

It's from Steve's didactic period...and since i'm wary of a) Spielberg's screenwriters of late and b) american didactics, i'm yawning through the whole narrative. It may be no Hallmark level of offensiveness, but it's certainly no big shakes in the philosophy department, either.

I think it's the best movie to deal with it's central question, and that it's an excellent question the needs to be raised. And, beyond that, it's one great scene after another, until the very last one, which goes on too long. And, even, in those alleged 'technical achievement' moments, there is so much character going on, that it never feels like it's getting didactic. The only scenes in the movie that do not entirely work for me arethe last one and the scene in the church (which is a beautifully acted scene on it's own).

I think it's the best movie to deal with it's central question, and that it's an excellent question the needs to be raised. And, beyond that, it's one great scene after another, until the very last one, which goes on too long. And, even, in those alleged 'technical achievement' moments, there is so much character going on, that it never feels like it's getting didactic. The only scenes in the movie that do not entirely work for me arethe last one and the scene in the church (which is a beautifully acted scene on it's own).

You certainly like 'A.I.', too. :fouetaa:

I do think most of these 'central question's' are neither very important nor especially intelligible to begin with. People love messages, apparently, even if they don't affect their own existence in the slightest.

But i'm also rolling my eyes everytime when i'm in a videostore and the 'in-crowd' runs for the latest David-Lynch-spectacle because the media has conditioned them to believe they get intellectual feeding there. To me, it's all like the critic's joke in 'Annie Hall'....

The problem I have with SPR that on some occasions the lead characters are to obviously pondering the films central question of Ryan's life being worth more then theirs. And ofcourse the final scene Spielberg cannot resist the urge to treat his audience like dumb children and give us the answer.

The film would have been nearly perfect if it would have ended on the shot of Matt Damon's face, just before the CGI fade to the old Ryan.

I do think most of these 'central question's' are neither very important nor especially intelligible to begin with. People love messages, apparently, even if they don't affect their own existence in the slightest.

In that case, it's great that the question of the value of human life in warfare is not relevant, but some of us are not so lucky.

The problem I have with SPR that on some occasions the lead characters are to obviously pondering the films central question of Ryan's life being worth more then theirs. And ofcourse the final scene Spielberg cannot resist the urge to treat his audience like dumb children and give us the answer.

Indeed. The characters are pondering over the question so that we don't have to. The visualization of terror (see also the openings scene of Munich) is stellar but 170 minutes to tell a thin story is way too long. The technical achievements are perfect, the film is not.

Morlock- who just rented Romance and Cigarettes and The Proposition, and is pretty psyched about the prospects of both

The Proposition is a really good movie. The score is fantastic as well. Nick Cave and Warren Ellis are better than some composers just with their 2 scores.

Watched The Departed last night, blu-ray of course. It's definitely my favorite Scorsese since Goodfellas. Definitely deserved the Best Picture.

In that case, it's great that the question of the value of human life in warfare is not relevant, but some of us are not so lucky.

Rubbish. That's such a simple-minded reading of the themes the film presents that you can slap it ad hoc in direction of almost every film connected with war, even 'The Dirty Dozen'.

Think of the 'High School Teacher' sequence in SPR as to what i mean with didactic Spielberg presenting well-tempered POV's of his characters (some more, some less offensive). Or the Church sequence....if that is the best a filmmaker can come up with, dialogue-wise, i feel a bit like on some democratic convention rally, which is not a good thing.

Rubbish. That's such a simple-minded reading of the themes the film presents that you can slap it ad hoc in direction of almost every film connected with war, even 'The Dirty Dozen'.

...than what is the non-simple-minded reading of it? I've never seen the topic broached to even remotely the same effect as this film. The lives of these men being less important than a PR excercise permeates everything that happens in the film after D-Day.

Think of the 'High School Teacher' sequence in SPR as to what i mean with didactic Spielberg presenting well-tempered POV's of his characters (some more, some less offensive). Or the Church sequence....if that is the best a filmmaker can come up with, dialogue-wise, i feel a bit like on some democratic convention rally, which is not a good thing.

I guess we saw two different films here. I got a huge visceral reaction from the film, and never felt these characters were less than genuine. Even the church scene, which is the one sequence that feels obligatory in the film, works on it's own, it is so beautifully acted. I've rarely seen a war film taking head on the philosophical implications of war. It does not settle for being pro or anti war, of which there are many hundreds of films. It both glorifies the war, yet shows it in all it's ugliness. I haven't seen a war film that grapples with as many facets of war as this film does.

Saw Romance and Cigarettes....quite dissapointing. The first half is nice and weird, I love the concept....but the second half becomes far too heavy and doesn't really go anywhere. Still, some terrific musical sequences. **1/2/****.

Also saw Stripes.....Animal House is enough for me, as all these National Lampoon movies go. Not especially funny, several characters are given no pay-off, the mayham at the end was boring, Elmer's score was too obvious, it had a terrible villain.....NEXT. **/****.

What are the many facets other war movies don't have? The only interesting facets occur during the 2 war scenes. The rest is myth-creating filler.

Well, I've never seen soldiers quite as convincing as the ones here. And because of that, it was the first time that their problems actually meant something to me. Maybe it was just the right film at the right time for me, but, still, everytime I see it, I am in awe of it, of pracitcally every character and every scene, aside from the very last one, which is spelled out to an inordinant degree.

A Good Year- A Great Flick! I thought it was funny, romantic, and it had all the elements of the type of film that I like. Russell Crowe was great in it, also!

In America- I caught this one on IFC last night. Not bad, not my favorite, but one that I kinda maybe enjoyed, nonetheless. I thought it was OK, but I was a bit bored. My mom seemed to like it though, but thats what painkillers will do to ya! :0

Well, I've never seen soldiers quite as convincing as the ones here. And because of that, it was the first time that their problems actually meant something to me. Maybe it was just the right film at the right time for me, but, still, everytime I see it, I am in awe of it, of pracitcally every character and every scene, aside from the very last one, which is spelled out to an inordinant degree.

Thank God that the german soldiers are portrayed so convincingly. And that Spielberg isn't channeling absurd amounts of good 'ole patriotism and upright god-fearing, pilgrim style, and i haven't the gut feeling that 'Oscar' wasn't the last thing he thought about when concocting the whole thing. All of this doesn't bode to well with non-compromising battle scenes.

The Second Civil War.

I haven't seen much of Joe Dante's work from the 1990's, but if this film is an example of his movies from that period, then he was doing a fine job. I would rank this as one of the cleverest and wittiest social and political satires I have ever seen because of its sharp commentary on the relationship between the media and the government that never fails to remind you of what you see today on 24-hour news channels and the way people and politicians carry on in crisis situations. It's promoted as a drama, but black comedy would do just fine.

Yes Hitch, Jumper was indeed utter pants! Not helped by chemistry free & wooden performances, and what on earth was going on with Jamie Bell's accent - was he Scottish, Liverpudlian, English or American? Who knows and actually, who cares!

Battle In Seattle is superb and really opened my eyes to the WTO / Seattle riots that were not covered by the media much over here. We follow everyone here from the ground up; the protest groups, the cops on the street, their commanders, city officials, a news reporter, and innocent onlookers. I hope director Stuart Townsend finds a good distributor as it needs to be seen. Ray Liotta is superb as the Mayor, infact Charlize Theron, Woody Harrelson and the ensemble all shine.

City Of Men really blew me away. I didn't see the TV show but really don't think it it necessary as the film stands alone as a separate entity. Wonderful rich characters and an endearing story. Cinematography, sound design and editing all top notch too.

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead on the other hand - a very dismal film! Considering the talent involved, namely Sidney Lumet & Philip Seymour Hoffman it didn't deliver anything but depressing confusion. Lumet employed flashback sequences that tried to be clever but ultimately came off as pretentious and confused. Ethan Hawke was downright irratating and devoid of any character depth. One saving grace is that you do get to see Marisa Tomei's breasts, fine assets they are too! :cool:

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead on the other hand - a very dismal film! Considering the talent involved, namely Sidney Lumet & Philip Seymour Hoffman it didn't deliver anything but depressing confusion. Lumet employed flashback sequences that tried to be clever but ultimately came off as pretentious and confused. Ethan Hawke was downright irratating and devoid of any character depth. One saving grace is that you do get to see Marisa Tomei's breasts, fine assets they are too! :cool:

I'm surprised with this very negative critique. I've heard so many say it's up there with Lumet's best.

Munich. And click. I never liked this movie too much before, but this time it finally clicked with me - its tone, its characters, its dozens of messages... it's a wonderfully made political statement, with a competent script that tries maybe too hard to work as a narrative movie too - not to say it doesn't succeed most of the time. Yes, the pacing is slow, but that's justifiably so. It's a shame that the symbolism is abundant (and also not exactly subtle) enough to remove from the film far too many times, but on a positive side, it adds depth to the story, which takes a secondary place here. Gotta love those 70's-style zoom ins and outs.

No didn't work for me at all. Maybe i'm so critical due to high hopes that I had, as Lumet is one of my favourite directors. The movie didn't flow and the story is just horrible and depressing, featuring no resolve whatsoever at the end without wanting to give too much away as spoilers.

I'd be interested to hear other opinions.

I LOVE ENGLAND - brilliantly acted and superb drama from Shane Meadows. If you like skinheads, swearing, violence, underage drinking and racial abuse, then this movie is for you. If not, stick to ATONEMENT where you will seeing all of the above in less than 5 minutes.

Not when the viewer isn't absorbed by the film and its characters, which in this case is how I felt - left completely empty walking out of the cinema

I really should use the quote button!

Ethan Hawke was downright irratating and devoid of any character depth.

Well that's his character (referring to the first part) and I felt he had enough depth for me.

Couple of the reviews I've read also complained about the flashbacks, but I had no problem with them. Finney's character was the only one I wasn't terribly interested in, until the end.

Walk The Line. Since seeing the film the first time, I've grown to be a big Johnny Cash fan, so it was much more interesting this time around. Generic musical bio-pic to a T, but, still the acting is quite good, and the music is terrific. **1/2/****.

Sweeney Todd. Fantastic! I loved it. Sure, Mrs. Lovett's character feels short-changed....but that is the only major flaw it had for me. I was pleasantly surprised by every aspect of this film. And I loved the songs, and most of the perfromances within the film. Not sure I'd choose to listen to them on CD (I'd love a CD with the score), but I found them totally convincing within the film.

As others have said- Burton's best since Ed Wood. ***1/2/****.