Always - the soundtrack

MSM

Have you guys ever realized how great Always is? If you skip the silly songs one gets to a very lush full blown Williams style score from (what I regard) his best period (1987-1995). Although not JP or Hook quality it certainly ranks among his efforts for Far and Away and Empire of the Sun, especially as to orchestrational richness.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't deny anyone else the pleasure of Always, but for me, the rollicking "Follow Me" notwithstanding, it's excellent aural Ambien.

I will confess a soft spot for The Platters, too.

I like this score very much. My favourite tracks are "Pete and Dorinda", "Saying Goodbye" and Dofrnida's Solo Flight".

I must confess, I don't own the Always OS. I just have two tracks Dorinda's Flight and Follow Me. However, I have to say, I have always been partial to the arrangement found on The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration CD.

Another good example of a great score to a lousy movie although I believe the music was criticised when the movie came out originally.

Gorgeous, gorgeous score. Wonderfully intimate piano writing, exhilarating flying music, and just overall some very romantic stuff. Even with the dumb source music and some of the less interesting ambiance cues, this has risen near the top of my favorite Williams scores.

Have you guys ever realized how great Always is? If you skip the silly songs one gets to a very lush full blown Williams style score from (what I regard) his best period (1987-1995). Although not JP or Hook quality it certainly ranks among his efforts for Far and Away and Empire of the Sun, especially as to orchestrational richness.

I lost you at the highlighted part.

Have you guys ever realized how great Always is?

No... Not because it's badly written, but just because it's boring, which is much bigger fault in my opinion.

I've always loved this score. (The Platters is the only song I tend to listen to besides the score.) Beautiful, lyrical melodies, sounds, harmonies. In general a very peaceful soundtrack. I know it's not his greatest, most impressive score, but I just love it to pieces.

I like it a lot! Beautiful music. :P

Naturally, I-- uh-- always (sorry, can't think of another word) skip straight to the first score track.

I dont own the soundtrack, but would like to say which people already know probably that the soundtrack no longer exist and It is available through e-Bay and Amazon.com dealers. This probably another soundtrack that needs to be rereleased, but will never will be rereleased. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is another soundtrack that needs to be rereleased. What is Mr. Breathmask's opinion as well as an other members opinion. Is there a way I can listen to the soundtrack online somehow? Thanks.

I lost you at the highlighted part.

I expected people would, which is why I said 'what I regard'. You probably prefer his 1976-1986 period. It's a matter of taste :)

It's not by any means one of my favorite Williams scores, but it's a good score, for sure. Does anybody know if there is a substantial amount of music in the movie that didn't make the CD? (My memory of the movie is pretty vague.)

And it's not Williams, obviously, but I'd have to say that "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" is one of the most beautiful songs ever recorded.

There's a couple of tracks that have nothing but celestial harp music which, come to think of it, are probably the sleepiest things he's ever written. Overall, a very good score though for a movie where Speilberg leaned less on music than usual. A very nice love theme and a great finale.