May 6th Intrada Release....

Ollie

Does anyone actually know how much music Young composed and recorded for Spiderman 3?

Lurie and Debney were brought in after Young finished scoring the whole film, correct?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, they were brought in to hastily replace Young's recorded cues with adaptation's of Elfman's music.

I have labeled the Debney cues but I can't remember what tracks they were... I'll post the times though to see if it might help.

Stargazing (1:52)

Peter Calls MJ (0:59)

Aunt May and Peter (1:43)

Peter and MJ Dance (1:57)

Peter Calls MJ (Alt.) (1:02)

Peter and MJ Dance (Alt.) (0:47)

Those tracks bring up an interesting point. A lot of the time, there's multiple alternates by multiple people for one scene. Case in point, the Stargazing scene - Young has 'Web', Lurie has Goblin - Stargazing [the first of which was supposed to replace Harry in Lab, but that was used anyway - ?], and Debney has the other 'Stargazing'. If they were called in so hastily, wouldn't it be more time-effective for Raimi to say "you do this batch of scenes, and you do this batch" rather than making them write a crapload of music that won't even be used?

The whole Harry In Lab - Web (Stargazing) - Meteor is a mess. It starts off with Young's original music for "Harry In Lab" then I think part of Lurie's material for Stargazing then goes into Debney's material for the said piece then goes back to Young's music for Meteor. Spider-Man's 3 score was really botched up as bad as Spider-Man 2's.

Edit: While I love the Spider-Man movies, Henry did practically sum things up about Raimi.

I really wish people would stop hating on that scene. :rolleyes: He's got a point tho, I'll give 'im that.

Now watch as, even though we bent the topic to become a Spidey 3 discussion, it's actually Species or some left-of-center score we didn't see coming that gets released.

I think it was mentioned on FSM the official site for Christopher Young did say Species was being released by Intrada but did not give a date when. Aren't there two scores coming out on the 6th?

Yes although if you go to Young's site the Species listing has been changed to promo.

Logic had been lost on Raimi by that point.

Actually Raimi began losing it in Spiderman 2 with the "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" freeze frame moment.

Yarb. Y'know, I'm usually clear-cut on impending score announcements - 'oh, it'll be this for sure' or 'nah, it won't be that til hell freezes over'. But with this, I'm genuinely conflicted how to feel about if it's 3 or not. It seems so unlikely, and yet makes sense. The time factor seems like an issue, but look at Lost in Space (by the same label!) - took less than a year for an expanded (or was it complete? I think it was) release to come out.

Lost In Space assuming you're talking about the Broughton score, is mostly complete. There are a couple of cues that were left off the score other wise it's about 99% complete.

It would've been nice if he had, as it might have lent a bit more consistency to the sound of the score; unfortunately, that's not the case.

If we're talking about a big hit, with huge brass, that isn't BTTF, I'm guessing ID4 at this point.

Doug posted this as well.

No one should be worrying about prioritizing between their jobs or having CDs. For most of us, the former is necessary before we can have the latter. The pecking order on that one's mostly a given.

But, to ease minds, I just don't expect this to disappear as fast as BABY. Hardcore Goldsmith fans are a world unto themselves - but this one isn't by Goldsmith. And it's not BTTF, either. The instrumentation is larger than what BTTF required and the score itself is more ambitious. And yes, it's from a hugely successful movie, too. But just because stuff like this pumps me up, it doesn't necessarily mean it'll pump everyone else up. I realize it's hard to share my enthusiasm without just overbuilding your expectations. On the other hand, any score that needs 6 trumpets and 5... okay, okay. I'll shut up.

--Doug

I think I remember hearing on one of the FSM podcasts that Doug and the rest of the gang said they weren't big fans of Spidey 3 compared to the other two.

I'm inclined to suspect we're all going down the wrong path here.

Ya Independence Day was very successful. Though if it's one that might not sell as fast as Baby by Goldsmith chances are it might not be ID-4 either. Well we'll find out tomorrow either way.

I'm just hoping it's something I don't want. I have no money.

:) I'm in the same boat, almost rooting for it to be something boring so I don't have to invent the money to get it.

Well if it's something you want to get you can order it through Peter (MovieMusic) and he can hold an item up to a month if necessary, he's done it for me and I'm sure he'll do it for anyone.

Hey, Law of Attraction... could work.

Spidey 3 or ID-4 would be fine with me, but I'm crossing my fingers for the former.

On one of Fake's post on Intrada's forum he noted that baritone horns were used due to the composer wanting a euphonium-like sound. That statement leads me to think that the score is from prior to 2000.

Oversized brass section and the movie was a big hit-- gotta be Beastmaster II: Through the Portal of Time, right? :)

Actually I think they'll be announcing it this evening. Generally they announce the titles the day before the release. They've always done that.

Oh? All the better. Even if it isn't Spidey 3 or ID-4, it'll probably be something interesting (unfortunately for our wallets. :blink: )

From Intrada:

This coming Tuesday (May 6), the confusion will end and that big brass section can be yours to play at will. Crank it up!

We've got a second release out on Tuesday as well. Not as much brass, perhaps, but an intense score just the same. Titles and sound samples for both will be up Monday evening at 5:15 pm.

Hmm.. that's 1.15am here. Wonder if I can stay up just to find this out.

Mother fudging unbelievable!!!!!!

WarGames is there!!!!!! :lol:

A favourite of mine as a kid. I saw it theatrically in August of 83' The year of Return of the Jedi... what a great year that was. :lol:

I've wanted the complete score on a digital medium for absolutely ages. I have the Polydor vinyl that has the irritating inserted dialogue and until now a great deal of the score had been left unreleased. Wow, this really did catch me off guard. I'm sure some people will be disappointed however.

Interesting! I saw WarGames a while back and liked it, but I don't remember the score. The samples are sounding good, though!

So, nobody guessed this, right?

Nope.

But I'm still gonna buy it. And I know this on a lot of people's wish lists for un-released scores.

Well like I mentioned in the Last Film thread I watched this on TV last week for the first time in forever, it was a favorite of mine in high school. I did notice the score and thought it was decent enough, but nothing really stood out. I think I'll go the opposite of the trend the last year or two and save my money for new releases Speed Racer and Prince Caspian. And Indy, of course.

Interesting! I saw WarGames a while back and liked it, but I don't remember the score

exactly

Well, either there was a bunch of music unused, or I didn't have my listening ears on when I saw it (this was years ago). These samples are pretty darn solid. I'm probably going to go for this.

Well, either there was a bunch of music unused, or I didn't have my listening ears on when I saw it (this was years ago). These samples are pretty darn solid. I'm probably going to go for this.

I own the DVD which features a 5.1 audio track and the score comes through very nicely, so I'd have to go with the latter there. :beerchug: