For people who have seen it *SPOILERS, DUH*

Quintus

Am i the only one that does not notice CGI on the jungle chase (

except the monkeys and groin punching plants

)

No you're not. The CG was good. Well, apart from the

sword fighting atop the vehicles

, which looked just as awful as the bit you mentioned.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toontje: Might wanna put some spoiler tags on there to be safe. And,

there's nothing that the alien did that couldn't have been done without a puppet or suit. Only the transition from skeleton to alien might have needed CG. It's not liking it was jumping around and morphing and stuff.

I can only assume you are referring to the post above mine, since my post had spoilertags to begin with. Not that's it's important of course.

)

that doesnt look worse than bluescreen on the other three movies.

Just seen the movie. It was entertaining, although Ford's definitely showing his age a bit.

My problem with the movie was what a lot of people here seem to have had: the use of CG. It seemed that the further into the movie you went, the more things were CG, to the point where mutt swinging on the vines just didn't look very realistic, and the sword fight... back projection hell.

Also I'm sorry.. but aliens?? I don't like them in the Indy world, and the space ship taking off at the end was a step too far.

A good but also very flawed movie. I look forward to my next viewing (probably in HD on here) and I can suspend my belief 300% for a few hours. One very good thing it did do, was increase my appreciation for the score, even if it was next to inaudible at times - I've finally got images to attach to a lot of it. What surprised me most actually, was that the edits in Jungle Chase were in the film too! It seems that what we have is just a very small, full section of that cue.

)

that doesnt look worse than bluescreen on the other three movies.

Yes, it does. There are only a couple iffy bluescreen shots in the previous films, while there are hundreds of slick but completely fake looking shots in KotCS.

Correction: there are only a couple iffy bluescreen shots in Raiders and Temple of Doom, while there are many in Last Crusade, thanks to its generally poor special effects.

Why comment it so harshly? I saw it once now, and find it IMPOSSIBLE to give a clear opinion about it altough some scenes will never grow imho like the tarzan scene. But really, as steven said about TOD that it was Indy going to hell, This is Indy going into the 50ies, and a little thing about the CGI. The movie as it is wouldn't have worked without it these days. For us fanboys it would have but for everyone else, which is about 99% of the audience it would have looked fake.

Real prairie dogs would have looked fake? Real monkeys and real vines and foliage would have looked fake? They used CGI out of laziness. If the ants scene was not practical with real ants, they could have done a much better job than they did, or just come up with a different critter scene. Was there ONE real animal or insect in this film? I don't think there was thinking back. And there were lots of creatures.

god you guys are unable to enjoy anything .The pairie dogs and monkeys were just fine

The falling down 3 waterfalls was a bit over the top,that's about it for me.And the mudpit was kind of useless and had the creakiest dialogue

The ending is no more implausible than ghosts and lightning coming out of th ark in Raiders.The ending of this film made sense within the context of the story.

Real prairie dogs would have looked fake? Real monkeys and real vines and foliage would have looked fake? They used CGI out of laziness. If the ants scene was not practical with real ants, they could have done a much better job than they did, or just come up with a different critter scene. Was there ONE real animal or insect in this film? I don't think there was thinking back. And there were lots of creatures.

I believe the snake was real.

fsb

and the sword fight... back projection hell.

Perhaps this quote from an entry on Roger Ebert's blog mentioning that he likes Indy 4 might interest you.

"He (Spielberg) knows that we know what back projection is, and he uses it blatantly"

Source

Why comment it so harshly? I saw it once now, and find it IMPOSSIBLE to give a clear opinion about it altough some scenes will never grow imho like the tarzan scene. But really, as steven said about TOD that it was Indy going to hell, This is Indy going into the 50ies, and a little thing about the CGI. The movie as it is wouldn't have worked without it these days. For us fanboys it would have but for everyone else, which is about 99% of the audience it would have looked fake.

the 1st appeareance of the monkey is real.

If not, Kudos to ILM ;)

I didn't get the grave robbers scene. There was no point of having it in the movie. At least, in the snake pit scene there was a reference to Indy's snake-o-phobia.

Karol

Wait a sec! The prarie dogs weren't real?????? WTF!!!!!

You gotta be kidding?

You gotta be kidding?

I am. ;)

for one second i thought ILM had reach the peak of CGI ;)

I think they didn't use one real animal for this movie . . .

Except maybe for one monkey.

I thought this monkey was CG :(

Karol

Damn! Do you have to go and destroy the last illusion??? I had great hopes for that one money! ;)

What surprised me most actually, was that the edits in Jungle Chase were in the film too! It seems that what we have is just a very small, full section of that cue.

Mutt's Theme cutting in isn't an edit!

That's how the movie plays and that's how JW wrote it.

They used a real snake and a fake one created by Stan Winston's effects shop.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2008/05...oduction-notes/

scroll down to the SKULLS, WHIPS AND LEATHER JACKETS section.

Hooray for that one real snake!