The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

My biggest surprise album wise this year has probably been the return of Simply Red, who it turns out have still very much got it where cool lounge music is concerned.

https://youtu.be/hQONx7qUq_s

https://youtu.be/tx2uADhceDU

It's fair to say I didn't think too much of their latest sound at first, but the tracks settled into my memory rather comfortably over the last few weeks and now I find them groovy.

Was never into him, or his band(s).

Still 48 is way too young. R.I.P.

STP's first couple of albums are rock masterpieces.

Hoon, Cobain, Staley, Weiland....geez.

Been listening to STPs first five albums a lot since the news. Core and Purple are indeed masterpieces.

I really like that they didn't try to just duplicate the same sound. The two albums are really different from each other, and the better for it.

Yup and then Tiny Music is yet again even more different. I like it, but it just comes across as very drug fueled and experimental and not straight up rock and rolly.

Yup and then Tiny Music is yet again even more different. I like it, but it just comes across as very drug fueled and experimental and not straight up rock and rolly.

Yeah, his voice sounds a bit wrecked on that one.

Yea, the vocals are different but the music is too.

The fourth album sounds like them trying to fit into the generic alt-rock sound of the late 90s; It doesn't have a lot of STP uniqueness.

The fifth album I think is vastly underrated. Everyone has shit on it forever since "Days of the Week" hit the radio, but its not a terrible album and they actually returned to their earlier sound in a lot of places. Decent enough way to end their original career, especially with "Thank You" as a capper ("All In The Suit That You Wear" is a classic STP jam).

I don't remember a thing about their reunion album. Velvet Revolver and Army Of Anyone were much better projects.

Last I checked Father Figure was still my most listened to track in my last.fm, somehow

Actually I think Pull Me Under finally passed it

• 2 weeks later...
On December 23, 2015 at 1:45 PM, Alexcremers said:

Historic! In a few hours the music of The Beatles should be available for streaming on Spotify, iTunes, et cetera ...

Alex

People have owned their music for decades, why is this historic?

Dude, it's The Beatles!  Golden Slumber, not golden shower. 

It's historic because now people can legally Spotify their discography and use third-party software to illegally record the music, if for whatever reason they're morally opposed to simpler methods. 

5 hours ago, Woj said:

Dude, it's The Beatles!  Golden Slumber, not golden shower. 

Well I do have to piss a lot. I had to go three times during TFA. And I keep a piss bottle at my bedside so I don't have to get up piddling all night.

• 3 weeks later...
On Tuesday, January 19, 2016 at 7:24 AM, Alexcremers said:

R.I.P. Glenn Frey (Guitarist/vocalist of The Eagles)

Found out later that night sort of by accident.  I was at a hockey game and "Peaceful Easy Feeling" came on.  They generally don't play music like that at hockey game, but I couldn't exactly remember who sang it, so I leaned over to my Dad and asked "Is this Jackson Browne?".  After he corrected me, the guy sitting right next to us said "Didn't he just die?"  I couldn't believe yet another popular musician passed away.

Elton John's weird new record is a big grower, I've heard it about four times this week:

I breath in I breath out I just breath! 

I love awkward mouthful lyrics when they just work in spite of the themselves. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, me too, Alex. Yeah, me, too

I have been listening to my EW+F Columbia box set, and there is some stunning stuff on that. The musicianship is of the highest calibre, and there are enough great tunes to make anyone artist (and fan) proud.