The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

+ 1, dude!!!!!!! It's their cynical masterpiece. From the opening song about a has-been drug dealer, to the title song, focussing on the not-so-promised land, "TRS" is consummate music-making.

While we are on the subject...does anyone have the slightest clucking foo what the song "Two Against Nature" is all about?!

I might be the only other one here who has that CD, Richard. And no, not a clue what it's about. Then again, like Paul McCartney, I was always more interested in the music than in lyrics.

Alex - totally not comparing himself with Macca.

7 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Moar

"Gaucho" itself is absolutely brilliant

No, that's what I'm talking about, baby. The whole record is brilliant, and it sounds great in dts 5.1. Best track? "Babylon Sisters".

"The Royal Scam" is Steely Dan's "Revolver", to "AJA"'s "Sgt. Pepper" - not as well known, but much better, in many respects.

Did you know, Richard, that the best track (according to Fagen and Becker) for that album got accidentally erased when a guy working at the studio wanted to make space on one of the multitrack tapes? When the studio guy told them that, Fagen and Becker didn't say a word and they refused to record the lost song ever again. It was going to be the title track for the album. 'Gaucho' was actually the runner-up.

Alex

I guess this is "pop?"  A lovely tune either way.  I remember when this came out and was all over the place, trying to impress girls by translating the lyrics. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/04/2016 at 4:37 PM, Lonnegan said:

It's taken me about a month and a dozen listens to conclude that Richard Ashcroft's latest track is vintage post-Verve Richard Ashcroft. 

I've listened hard to this record by now and every track is good, it's a superb comeback album from Ashcroft. Noel Gallagher must love this ever so begrudgingly! Ashcroft's solo work simply outclasses Gallagher's underwhelming solo output. 

I reckon I've played this track about 30 times :music:

Is there any band that makes music as good in the 2010s that they made in the 80s?

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

Is there any band that makes music as good in the 2010s that they made in the 80s?

If you're meaning pop bands then no.  I could list off a bunch of indie/alternative bands I think are just good now as they were back then.

On 5 June 2016 at 9:00 AM, Lonnegan said:

I've listened hard to this record by now and every track is good, it's a superb comeback album from Ashcroft. Noel Gallagher must love this ever so begrudgingly! Ashcroft's solo work simply outclasses Gallagher's underwhelming solo output. 

I reckon I've played this track about 30 times :music:

I've not heard his new album but if it's anything like his other post Verve albums I have to disagree. Aside from a few great tracks Ashcroft's solo career has been very very tame. 

Neither er are men to step outside their comfort zones but I'll take Noel's two solo albums over the pick of Ashcroft's solo stuff any day of the week. 

I've literally liked one track from Noel (and his High Flying Birds) since Oasis split. He seems to have sort of settled into generic vanilla rock. Oasis were brilliant.  

32 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Like film music, pop is dead!

It's just different or simply not the same as when you were young. That's why old people say, when Elvis died, music died with him. Every generation needs its own identity.

Alex

3 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

I've literally liked one track from Noel (and his High Flying Birds) since Oasis split. He seems to have sort of settled into generic vanilla rock. Oasis were brilliant.  

What was the one track? If I Had a Gun and Dying of the Light are what you'd call generic rock but Ballad of the Mighty I, Aka What a Life, Let the Lord Shine a Light on Me, and The Right Stuff are worth checking out if you haven't heard them!

His two solo albums are definitely the best  Gallagher related stuff since the mid nineties! 

23 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

These kids have no identity! No one to follow, to root for, no value system!

We should be lucky that the force doesn't exist in real life. You would fall victim to the Dark Side within a few minutes.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 8:12 PM, Stefancos said:

I would restore order to the boards!

For my name is Darth Ominus!

image.jpg

There's a face for radio.

10 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

Steven Wilson - Routine

Ah, yes. I've seen his new album in the shops. I might invest. I must be the only person in the world that doesn't think that "Calling All Stations" is a pile of bantha poo-doo.

My phone camera pictures from yesterday's David Gilmour concert. Really bad picture quality, should have brought my DSLR (apparently, they let regular people keep their DSLRs).

Wish You Were Here:

IMG_20160628_201849.jpg

High Hopes:

IMG_20160628_210912.jpg

Shine On You Crazy Diamond:

IMG_20160628_214507.jpg

Probably "Sorrow" or "Run Like Hell", according to the time stamp:

IMG_20160628_224311.jpg

Comfortably Numb:

IMG_20160628_230317.jpg

On 08/06/2016 at 3:38 PM, Lonnegan said:

What happened to The Pet Shop Boys?

They're fucking shit these days. 

Hmmm, yeah I suppose the 'story' might resonate with some but musically the song is rather 'meh', isn't it.

It sounds like a slightly slowed down "Single Bilingual".

On 19/05/2016 at 11:19 AM, Alexcremers said:

Did you know, Richard, that the best track (according to Fagen and Becker) for that album got accidentally erased when a guy working at the studio wanted to make space on one of the multitrack tapes? When the studio guy told them that, Fagen and Becker didn't say a word and they refused to record the lost song ever again. It was going to be the title track for the album. 'Gaucho' was actually the runner-up.

Alex

Oooh, er, missus! Embarrassing.

13 hours ago, Richard said:

Oooh, er, missus! Embarrassing.

Then again, it could be that Gaucho was the title track and that the track that got erased was the opening song for the album. Yeah, I think it was something like that. Anyway, I prefer Aja.

20 minutes ago, Richard said:

"AJA"? " AJA"???!!!

I used to like you :lol:

In all honesty, it is the Dan's most accessible record. Fave track? Probably "Home At Last".

AJA is their masterpiece. It's where everything comes together. It's their Close To The Edge. I'd say, Gaucho is Steely Dan's most accessible album. It's almost too L.A. smooth, sorta like a forerunner to Fagen's The Nightfly. Music needs a bit a roughness, Richard. That's why Prefab Sprout's early albums are so much better than their later ones. But make no mistake, I like Gaucho too. I even have the SACD.

Alex

New single by the great British band Wild Beasts, new album out next month.

I've got high hopes for this new album after the mostly disappointing Present Tense from 2014.

Listened to my playlist of my 10 favorite acoustic Led Zeppelin songs on my morning commute today.  Good times.

Naturally, since I created the playlist, it has to start with "Boogie with Stu" :D

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea its great; Should have been on Coda.

Right? There are like 3 songs on Coda I'd replace with "Hey Hey What Can I Do" at the drop of a hat.