The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

2 hours ago, Richard said:

How are you getting on with Mr. Z?

If you like EXCITABLE BOY, try SENTIMENTAL HYGIENE, MY RIDE'S HERE, and LIFE'LL KILL YA.

His version of BACK IN THE HIGH LIFE, is heartbreaking.

So far Excitable Boy is on repeat so freaking much, it's such a perfect album. I've also checked out his The Envoy album, which I found quite good, particularly the ending track Never Too Late for Love.

Thanks for recommendations, I'll check 'em out! I'm surprised this stuff isn't more well known, it's exceptional.

He's what you might call a cult.

Though certainly not in style, I would group him with the likes of Ry Cooder, Al Stewart, J.J.Cale, Steve Hackett, and Jackson Browne: solid artists who always seem to be on the cusp of major international success, and yet never quite make it.

On 4/7/2017 at 0:20 PM, Richard said:

He's what you might call a cult.

Though certainly not in style, I would group him with the likes of Ry Cooder, Al Stewart, J.J.Cale, Steve Hackett, and Jackson Browne: solid artists who always seem to be on the cusp of major international success, and yet never quite make it.

Speaking of JB, if you like Warren Zevon, there are a good number of free live recordings to stream or download at archive.org, including this collaboration of the two:

https://archive.org/details/wz1976-12-08.sbeok.flac16

I don't know what you are talking about, but it's typical "yé-yé" song. It has been written in 1962... At this time Aznavour was a little old already  (38 yo) to sing that kind of songs, but he did it pretty successfully. He wrote many yé-yé songs for younger artists too.

The "hit" on this album was this song:

Come to see the comedians

To see the musicians

To see the magicians

Who arrive...

8 minutes ago, Richard said:

Also nice. The Cohen song is "Hallelujah" (:pukeface:), and the "Bom" song is heard on Silva's island. You must have heard of both of them, being French-Canadian.

I must say, I'm not really a fan of Cohen.  He's more a poet than a singer to me. I never connected (so far) with his material.

I'm young to listen to Aznavour... but I connected... his way of singing the time that passes... the youth that passes... It's pretty unique. 

I'm fascinated by men that have a woman sensibility and used it in their art, without being ashamed of it.  So this is why I'm also a fan of Roy Orbison.

And well.. I love Aznavour because he wrote "Comme ils disent" in 1972. That was bold (daring?).

In french, he sings "Je suis un homme, Oh..., comme il disent" (I'm a man... Ohhh... like they say).

Of course "un homme, oh", sounds like "un homo"...  

In the english version, this play on word is lost.. but the translation is very good too, one of his best one.

Hmm, this is nice stuff.

Speaking of play-on-words:

LES CHANTS MAGNETIQUE does not translate into English, because "fields", and "songs" do not rhyme.

20 minutes ago, Bespin said:

2112?

19 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Come on, Bespin.  Rush is Canadian royalty!

Stu's right. I believe that they are the only rock/pop musicians to be awarded the OC.

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

Odd that you've never heard of Rush. They are to Canada what Queen is to the UK.

Oh I know the name, I don't live in a cavern! I just say that it's not my kind. I'm not very "rock".

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

I must say, I'm not really a fan of Cohen.  He's more a poet than a singer to me. I never connected

Same goes for Bob Dylan too. 

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Same goes for Bob Dylan too. 

But Bob Dylan sang with Roy Orbison in the Traveling Wilburys.  So I can bare his singing... on their two albums, respectively called Vol. 1... and Vol. 3.

40 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

But you don't like Morricone because it sounds too sixties?

You now what? Morricone orchestrated and conducted some songs for Charles Aznavour. :-)

R-3708332-1341211858-9248.jpeg.jpg

He orchestrated and directed this song in 1963:

I love TOMMY, as well (any version of it, and I have plenty of them!).

My favourite track is THE UNDERTURE: 10mins of pure music, that one can get lost in.

There must be something wrong with me, though, because my second favourite is FIDDLE ABOUT ! :lol:

Have you got the 5.1 box?