The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

It's Jethro Tull meets

THE MUJABA CLUB.

Great stuff, Jil! Got any more?

Checking out his discography at the moment, I only just discovered this. So cool!

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Its good, but NEW FRONTIER, IGY, and THE NIGHTFLY are better.

(Richard, broadcasting from WJAZ, at the foot of Mt. Belzoni)

The album is a front to back classic, I love every song.  Fagen bats a thousand for me across the Dan and his solo albums.

Kamakiriad especially is underrated as hell.  My favorite of his solo albums.

Well, it's not like Peter Gabriel has ruled it out altogether (as he even says himself in the tweet in that article above). So one can always hope in this case, unlike -- say -- the prospect of seeing Richard Davies and Roger Hodgson play together as Supertramp again, which at this point seems impossible. Then again, Roger Waters DID get together with David Gilmour and the PF gang for the Live 8 thing (and a few things since), so 'pigs do fly' now and then.

39 minutes ago, Richard said:

They could always ask Steve Hackett...;)

And Anthony Phillips!

Imagine Peter Gabriel singing I Can't Dance or Jesus He Knows Me! Let's face it, at one point, Genesis was not Genesis but just another Phil Collins project.

29 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

And Anthony Phillips!

Imagine Peter Gabriel singing I Can't Dance or Jesus He Knows Me! 

That would be fantastic! "I Can't Dance" actually has several elements of Gabriel's own 80s material.

That is actually true, but still, it's so goofy Phil Collins at the same time that I can't see Peter Gabriel doing the singing. Of course, when I think of Gabriel and Genesis, I think of the early '70s.

On 10/11/2016 at 9:07 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

Obvious or not, there's very little that can stand up to Bohemian Rhapsody

THE PROPHET'S SONG shits all over it, from a very...great..height.

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

And Anthony Phillips!

Hell, why not get Mick Barnard (if he's still around)?

Welcome back to 80s Sunday, beginning controversially perhaps with this classic.

Controversially, as it was 'released' in Jan 1990, but was recorded in 1989 and 'apparently' performed on stage in 89.

Whatever, I'm going with it. It is right on the edge chronologically, but hey.................

29 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Stan Bush - You've got the touch

Can't say I remember that one, but 80s Nirvana for sure, encapsulating that air punching - "Go get em" optimism. 

It reminds me somewhat of.......

I'm surprised The Donald didn't get the lyrics altered slightly, and play this during the campaign..

I ain't the worst that you've seen
Ah, can't you see what I mean?
Ah, might as well Trump
(Trump)
Might as well Trump
Go ahead an' Trump (Trump)
Go ahead and Trump

On 12.11.2016 at 11:05 AM, Alexcremers said:

That is actually true, but still, it's so goofy Phil Collins at the same time that I can't see Peter Gabriel doing the singing. Of course, when I think of Gabriel and Genesis, I think of the early '70s.

Well, I love Phil Collins, including his solo material -- and I'm glad that he's now getting the respect and love he deserves. For a period in the 90s, in particular, he was very popular to hate.

Of the post-Gabriel, post-Collins Genesis, I only have CALLING ALL STATIONS, which is decent (and includes some really great songs, like "Congo" and "The Dividing Line").

Well isn't Calling All Stations the ONLY post-Collins studio Genesis album anyways? They did release two Archive sets (one spanning pre-Collins through The Lamb, the other Collins only), a greatest hits set, a video DVD, and a ton of live material from the 2007 tour. None of that involved Ray. 

3 hours ago, petaQ said:

Well isn't Calling All Stations the ONLY post-Collins studio Genesis album anyways? They did release two Archive sets (one spanning pre-Collins through The Lamb, the other Collins only), a greatest hits set, a video DVD, and a ton of live material from the 2004 tour. None of that involved Ray. 

To put you right about a few things:

There is no "pre-Collins" ARCHIVE set.

Both ARCHIVE sets feature Collins.

There are 4 official "greatest hits" sets.

I don't know what you mean by "video DVD",  but there is a set called THE VIDEO SHOW, and there is also a wealth of live material across the 5 box sets.

Genesis did not tour in 2004.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

You're right. I somehow thought there were more.

There is more. There are at least 8 songs that were not included on CAS, including one that has never been released. The rest were released as "b" sides, and extra tracks. There are also live songs from the CAS tour.

The CAS 2-disc set has live versions of CAS, and THE DIVIDING LINE.

TDL is right up there with FADING LIGHTS, DODO, DOMINO, and HOME BY THE SEA  as a fine example of "epic" Genesis.

23 minutes ago, Richard said:

To put you right about a few things:

There is no "pre-Collins" ARCHIVE set.

Both ARCHIVE sets feature Collins.

There are 4 official "greatest hits" sets.

I don't know what you mean by "video DVD",  but there is a set called THE VIDEO SHOW, and there is also a wealth of live material across the 5 box sets.

Genesis did not tour in 2004.

Sigh. 

I knew someone would misunderstand me, and that person is Richard. 

Phil Collins joined Genesis in August 1970. The first Archive set covers 1967 to 1975. Disc 3 includes songs that Collins played on but did not help write. Disc 4 is essentially From Genesis to Revelations outtakes and demos that predate Collins' songwriting and playing credits. Pre-Collins

The first greatest hits album was Turn It On Again. The video DVD was The Video Show. I never bought the lavishly expensive reissue box sets because I don't feel they're essential. 

2007. Tiny numpad touchscreen. I own two of those recordings from the tour, plus the DVD from the European tour. 

3 hours ago, petaQ said:

Sigh. 

I knew someone would misunderstand me, and that person is Richard. 

Phil Collins joined Genesis in August 1970. The first Archive set covers 1967 to 1975. Disc 3 includes songs that Collins played on but did not help write. Disc 4 is essentially From Genesis to Revelations outtakes and demos that predate Collins' songwriting and playing credits. Pre-Collins

The first greatest hits album was Turn It On Again. The video DVD was The Video Show. I never bought the lavishly expensive reissue box sets because I don't feel they're essential. 

2007. Tiny numpad touchscreen. I own two of those recordings from the tour, plus the DVD from the European tour. 

Sigh.

I knew someone would misunderstand me, misunderstanding them, and that person is petaQ.

I'll give you the "pre-Collins" stuff, but what I said was true...from a certain point of view.

2004? Don't text and drive!

The boxes aren't essential? It depends. Some albums (DUKE, ...AND THEN THERE WERE THREE...) benefit from the remixing, and some (INVISIBLE TOUCH)...well, you can't polish a turd.

The first greatest hits album was called TURN IT ON AGAIN: THE HITS :P

Thank you.

The boxes are expensive. I might get them on sale sometime, or torrent them, but I'm not in any hurry. 

Invisible Touch was my first Genesis album. I'll forever find it nostalgic, even if it's not my favorite anymore. 

The boxes are expensive, yes, but, considering what you get in them, imo, they're worth it.

...and there's still a lot of unreleased (or, should I say, in remastered) stuff, grr!

October 2017 would be a perfect time for that concert to be released...

I'm in an Autumnal mood, so I'm listening to...

GONE TO EARTH, by BJH.

Does anybody else have any love for this band?