• LotR fans
    • Harry Potter fans
    • Star Wars (including Prequels )fans
    • other

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I usually don't find fanboys very annoying, probably because I am too much one myself. I like exuberance.

'Course, Alan Menken defenders, that is a different matter altogether...

So whats wrong with Mr Menken then?

8 Oscars for Meh scores and songs, where maybe only one of each was deserving.

So whats wrong with Mr Menken then?

8 Oscars for Meh scores and songs, where maybe only one of each was deserving.

Menken deserved all the Oscars he won (except 1990 and 1992, when Hook and LC should've won), plus one for The Hunchback of Notre Dame. JW deserved waaaay more than 8, so it is unfair that Menken has more Oscars than JW, but he definetly deserves them all.

The scores for The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin are excellent, with Aladdin in particular being a personal favorite for an animated movie. I don't care who may have deserved the Academy Award ahead of him; that aspect is irrelevant. I'm no "Alan Menken defender", far from it, and why need one be anyway? He's a very good composer and the later traditional Disney animations benefited greatly from his contributions.

Ennio Morricone blows Menken out of the water, yet he never received a single Oscar for one of his many many film scores. In contrast, Alan Menken has lots of Oscars, but that doesn't automatically mean I should dislike the man and his work, because that would be stupid and pointless. Pfft... there is no need to defend the man in the first place.

I was refering to a very opinionated discussion which I had with the honorable Mark Olivarez, in which I was emphatically the Menken defender.

You can find it in the official Menken thread, starting with post #68, second page. Those are my thoughts on Alan Menken

I was refering to a very opinionated discussion which I had with the honorable Mark Olivarez, in which I was emphatically the Menken defender.

You can find it in the official Menken thread, starting with post #68, second page. Those are my thoughts on Alan Menken

Received and understood. I got the wrong end of the stick, as it were. As for Mark's opinion in the Menken thread that without the songs, Menken's scores are lacking, well that's sort of a redundant argument since the songs are score and always will be.

without the songs, Menken's scores are lacking, well that's sort of a redundant argument since the songs are score and always will be.

Goldsmith's Mulan is different in that regard though.

Indeed. Mulan has a smashing score, but the songs suck. The songs create the lasting impression in a Disney movie, which is why Menken gets the Oscar.

On the other side of the coin, there is Zimmer's The Lion King.

No, the LK's success was due to the songs.

There are two categories, best song and best score. If you are going to award an Oscar for best score based on songs then there's no need to have a best song category. At one time I had all of Menken's scores for the Disney films he worked on and while the songs are good the rest of the underscores are nowhere near the quality of the songs, nor anywhere near the quality of a majority of other scores that were nominated during that time period.

Goldsmith's Mulan is hands down the best orchestral score for a Disney cartoon in quite awhile.

Usually Menken's instrumental stuff is uninteresting. However, The Hunchback of Notre Dame is a happy exception, and I vastly prefer that to Mulan, for songs and instrumentals. And aside from Hunchback, Menken does have an occasional good instrumental cue.

Goldsmith's Mulan is hands down the best orchestral score for a Disney cartoon in quite awhile.

I still prefer Aladdin myself.

I hope that saying you prefer it you are not saying that the orchestral score is better than Mulan's, right?

Over time I have found that I am more and more actually a Beauty and the Beast defender more than a Menken defender. I think that Beauty and the Beast is, hands down, my favorite movie of all time. Musically and filmically, both Aladdin and (especially) The Little Mermaid are very substantial steps down. The Hunchback of Notre Dame, while having excellent parts, does not overall have the same standard of excellence of Beauty and the Beast. Pocahontas would go somewhere between The Little Mermaid and Aladdin, closer to The Little Mermaid, and Hercules, while having all right moments, is mostly just one huge missed opportunity. Enchanted is ok, but certainly not great.

And yes, I am talking about the scores as well. Beauty and the Beast has an incredible score. "Battle on the Tower" is one of my favorite cues of all time.

I have nothing against Mulan. The songs are nowhere near what Menken does, but the score is certainly better than anything of his but The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Beauty and the Beast, both of which I rank above it.

The Lion King, in some ways, really annoys me. The score is quite good, but Elton John just had way to much influence on the songs. Far better are the songs for The Prince of Egypt, whose score is inferior.

In a nutshell, those are my rankings.

Here's how my Disney animated (not computer) collection ranks:

1. The Hunchback of Notre Dame

2. The Lion King

3. Pocahontas

4. Beauty and the Beast

5. Bambi

6. Mulan

7. Aladdin

And that's all I have.

I will say that #2 and 3 are really interchangeable.

I actually found watching AOTC the other night on TV kindo f refreshing. It's not as bad as I seem to have imagined it to be in the past. A bit of cringe-worthy dialogue, but after posting on these forums for so long, you start to believe the bad press and it affects your memory a bit. That being said, I never really hated it like some people.

I would say they're all annoying, though. HP fans have a downright creepy obsession with a teenage boy and girl. LOTR fans think their films are perfect, despite the terrible direction, cheesy dialogue, and melodrama and all that. And Star Wars fans who take anything Lucas gives them, though it seems to me even they are sort of tired of things like Clone Wars by now.

Why does Elton John's involvement ruin the songs for you? He wrote them with Tim Rice and sang some of them. Sam Schwartz wrote the songs for The Prince Of Egypt, is he better than Elton John for you?

I guess.

Elton John's writing seemed to modern and pop-ish. Obviously, some people like that, but it lacked any real relation to the songs, whereas Beauty and the Beast has incredible underscore and songs that fit together perfectly.

The songs in Beauty and the Beast are far more theatrical in style compared to those in The Lion King, which has a much more contemporary feel. That is the difference. You must prefer the traditional Disney style, which they appear to have moved away from, over the years.

I personally feel that Can You Feel the Love Tonight is a beautiful song.

The songs in Beauty and the Beast are far more theatrical in style compared to those in The Lion King, which has a much more contemporary feel. That is the difference. You must prefer the traditional Disney style, which they appear to have moved away from, over the years.

Isn't that the one in which we hear JW's son?

Not in that song, but he does sing as the adult Simba.

Yup, I'd say that is exactly it. I also consider The Lion King to be the first in a long line of quality slides for Disney, and to have been part of the very beginnings of the pop song inclusions we often get in movies now. Obviously, it is a long ways from Chicken Little but it seems to have been the first step in that direction for Disney.

Actually, I do too. I don't like the one that appears in the movie with the characters singing it, but I do enjoy Elton John's recording.

Not in that song, but he does sing as the adult Simba.

...who does in fact sing in that song.