Man Of Steel (2013 Superman reboot directed by Zack Snyder)

Luke Skywalker

As long as we don't know the context, we should wait with judging whether it's stupid or not.

Actually we're all allowed to have opinions on posters.

Of course, that goes without saying. Still, I would wait with saying "putting handcuffs on someone as strong as Superman is stupid" untill we know the context. This might seem odd to you, but I really believe that the makers are aware of his strength.

Alex

did I read somewhere that he's never referred to as Superman in the entire movie?

No, they do refer to him as Superman. But... everytime someone does use the word is tends to be overwhelmed by other sound effects, like sledgehammer, siren etc.

Karol

No, they do refer to him as Superman. But... everytime someone does use the word is tends to be overwhelmed by other sound effects, like sledgehammer, siren etc.

Uh, what you call "sound effects" is actually his musical theme.

The problem always comes back to one thing : kryptonite. It's kinda boring when it's the only thing that can do something. It's always "we can't defeat him, but oh wait here's a kryptonite rock!"

Superman can be defeated by brute force, or by being more intelligent than him, or by bringing him to a solar system without a yellow sun. My favourite Superman moments are actually when someone like, say, Lex Luthor, basically manages to win by sheer badassery and anticipation against Superman.

If I remember correctly he is also vulnerable to magic. And if you find a way to block the sun rays that would cause his powers to disappear as well.

Oh and red sun radiation also makes him powerless.

Karol

If I remember correctly he is also vulnerable to magic. And if you find a way to block the sun rays that would cause his powers to disappear as well.

Oh and red sun radiation also makes him powerless.

Karol

he does quite well in darkness. No one want's to see a Superman movie with Magic.

Nolan: "I wouldn't want people to think we're doing for Superman what we did for Batman. It's very much Zack's film and I think people are going to love what he's done. I think it's really remarkable to take on that character. Superman is a completely different character than Batman. So you can't in anyway use the same template. But David Goyer had this, I thought, brilliant way to make Superman relatable and relevant for his audience. Zack has built on that and I think it's incredible what he's putting together. He's got a lot of finishing to do on that. Superman is the biggest comic book character of them all and he needs the biggest possible movie version which is what Zack's doing. It's really something."

Somebody posted this on another forum.

So it looks like the scoring sessions have begun for MOS.

Where's that recording studio Zimmer's in? Is it at the Sony Scoring Stage or Newman?

It looks like it's Sony to me...

Meh, I dunno. Doesn't really tell you about the plot of the film or what the action scenes will be like. Sure, a teaser this far in advance doesn't need to do those things, but the things it DID show weren't that interesting to me. Great cast, though.

Was that Lisa Gerrard? If so, Zimmer's original score?

It looks reasonably intriguing, but the one main thing I do not like about what I've seen do far is the way it looks. I've not seen a movie this drained of colour since Saving Private Ryan's beach landings. Except that was a documentary inspired WWII sequence, and brilliantly suited. I wholeheartedly despise this current trend of 'gritty' desaturation, it's a noughties cliché which sends me to sleep.

Other than that, hmm, so so. Need to see the finished article.

I don't like the very slow and long contemplative part with the cliché wailing. I simply don't like that corny, overly serious tone, with Superman looking at the sky. I was glad the trailer ended with some fast editing, showing bits and pieces from different moments in the film. The last part made it interesting again.

I like that it feels different from Christopher Reeve film series. Too serious? Bring it on, that is something we didn't get to see yet with this character. On big screen, at least. And no, Superman Returns doesn't count (even if this trailer somehow reminds me of it).

Karol

I'm hoping somebody will say the wailing is from an existing soundtrack.

I'm all for serious, crocs, when it's like what we see in the last part, not the corny serious from the slow part. When you going to show somebody who is deep in thought, looking at the sky and all, you shouldn't oversell that mood with that type of music. The combination is too obvious. It's not creative or clever. I would probably do such a scene without music, using the wind or the sounds from the location.

I dislike that moment of the guy looking at the sky and closing his eyes but other than that is fine to me. This is after seeing it in 240p because I found no other way to make the trailer load.

Edit: saw it again three times in higher quality.

Curious colour palette to say the least. Usually I prefer lots of very strong colour, for some reason. But I might warm up to it. I particularly like it in the shots of Superman and Lois at the end.

This film looks kind of-sort of like I would like a Superman film to be, but yet not quite.

But knowing Snyder, Mr. Post Production himself, he's going to meddle with the tone of the colors untill the very last day.

For now, it doesn't look very Snyder (Watchmen and Sucker Punch had vibrant colors) but I guess that's the whole idea. Still, I expect further tweaking from the man in whom Steef puts his trust.

Yeah, I thought Snyder would go for a more vibrant look.

On the other hand, some scenes from Watchmen that could have looked quite vibrant were done in the opposite way. In Ozymandias' palace he took out the bright light and yellow from the book, and then added a strong blue filter on it (in one of the trailers you can see what it looked like before).

Who knows what the film will end up looking, but the idea of a big Superman film that looks like that is curious to me. At the very least, it's not teal and orange.

The tone is a lot washier, the sharpness diffused. It's not Snyder's regular camera man. Maybe if more people complain, Nolan will give Snyder the go-ahead to go full color again. ;)

Great news, tannhauser! It's not the music from the film!