20 members have voted

1. 1. Which Gustav do you prefer?

• Gustav Mahler
    • Gustav Holst

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mahler. Anything I've heard by Holst so far aside from The Planets has left me cold. Mahler can sometimes be an acquired taste, simply because his music often isn't "easy", but he's done tons of fabulous stuff. And had a clear impact on film music, too, clearly on Korngold and also on some general styles and devices.

Any Mahler symphony > The Planets

Mahler, all the way. I do enjoy Holst though beyond The Planets, too bad all his works have been outshined by his most well-known opus.

Gustavo Santaolalla of course.

Can't believe I forgot to include him!

I can. He's very forgettable.

Besides, guitar music for gay cowboys doesn't exactly put the image of a hurricane in my head the way Mars or Symphony for 1000 would.

I have yet to get into Mahler, but I also find The Planets a bit dull. Mars is terribly overplayed to the point that I cannot stand it.

But anyone who ever played in any kind of concert band, high school, county, district, or honors festival, or a community concert band has probably played either of Holst's Military Suites for Band (in Eb and F), and since they are fantastic to both listen to and play, I voted for Holst.

Besides, guitar music for gay cowboys doesn't exactly put the image of a hurricane in my head the way Mars or Symphony for 1000 would.

There's a joke just waiting in that statement.

That's tough...since we had to evacuate for nothing I think I'd say neither... :thumbup:

There was an SUV we saw in the traffic to get out that had "Blow THIS, Gustav!!!" written on the back in shoe polish. It was funny.

But, yeah, Mahler would be my choice. :wave:

Mahler, he's possibly my favorite classical composer. Later this year I'm seeing his first and sixth symphonies performed live. Like all good things, he's an acquired taste.

I couldn't help but have "Mars" play in my head while watching the hurricane footage.

The opening of the Mahler 3 would be more fitting.

Mahler. The first time I heard his Resurrection Symphony in concert absolutely blew me away. I was incapable of speech for nearly five minutes following the last note. Completely freaked out my date-- my mouth was moving, but nothing was coming out. And to think, about a week before the concert, I listened to it on CD and wasn't impressed by it.

I'm not big on classical music. Beethoven, Mozart, and Holst are the only people I'm familiar with. Then there are the famous pieces everyone knows, but I couldn't for the life of me tell you the names of the composers.

I love the music Woody Allen uses for his films though, the Match Point and Scoop soundtracks are great.