Amazing Moments By Spielberg

A24

I can't remember the first time I saw Jaws. It was early childhood, definitely one of my first movies. My earliest memory, I think it's my earliest, is sitting in a theater ignoring Jurassic Park as I colored in a book.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw E.T. earlier today, and I have decided that the bike/take off scene is still one of the greatest scenes ever directed.

Not that this statement is controversial or will recieve many challenges, just thought I should make it extra clear.

I saw E.T. earlier today, and I have decided that the bike/take off scene is still one of the greatest scenes ever directed.

Not that this statement is controversial or will recieve many challenges, just thought I should make it extra clear.

You'll get nothing but agreement from me.

Of course, I think that's true of, like, two-thirds of the scenes in the whole movie.

In Temple of Doom the scene in Indy's bedroom where you see the shadows fighting, absolutely brilliant cinematography, Slocombe and Spielberg in perfect sinc.

Shadows have been a visual motif in the Indy series since Raiders of the Lost Ark. I always enjoy seeing them used.

but even Raiders cinematography is a step below that in TOD.

I dunno, I kinda like the dusty look of Raiders. I think they are both perfectly shot.

thats true, the belief that TOD has better cinematography isn't a slight on Raiders by any means.

So how about the Spielberg Movie Magic Scenes?

I love the "City Under Ice Scene" from AI

just ice and a wordless pp choir!

worst Spielberg film ever, I can't find any magic in it sadly. best I can do is the cinematography, some of Kaminski's best.

The Sugarland Express, in the original viewing, to see the long string of cars was unique in films, while its not amazing by todays standards... and I love that terrible moment of realization that Clovis is mortally wounded, its a sad moment, a gory moment yet its an amazing moment of astonishment.

Jaws, so many moments, the shot of the Orca through the jaws of the great white shark to name one

Close Encounters, so many moments, the shot of the screw unscrewing, as amazing and frightening as movies ever get.

1941, The Jaws homage, the Ferris Wheel, the dance sequence.

Raiders, so many moments, the Paramount dissolve. It was the first, not the best, but the first and it was so cool.

E.T., so many moments, Elliott looking out the kitchen window as the steam builds up, its the first to come to mind in the film

Twilight Zone the movie, the yound child recounting her seeing Haley's comet in 1910, the first time.

TOD, the Paramount dissolve, the bleakness of the indian villiage, and the triumphant return to the now living village

The Mission, the pure emotion, a true tearjerker sequence

The Color Purple, so many moments, but to be simple, the Color Purple, the flowers.

Empire of the Sun, the atomic bomb sequence.

Always, the aerial shots

Last Crusade, the encounter with the knight.

Hook, ok I'm stumped, maybe Peter's moment of realization that Prof. McConnagal is actually Wendy

Jurassic Park, there are many, the first view of the dinosaurs is still amazing, it holds up so well, the pelican shots at the end

Schindler's List, the red coat, the shower sequence(just because its terrible doesn't mean its not amazing)

Amistad, the drowning of the excess slaves, terrible but an important moment of an awful past.

Lost World, dinosaurs, dinosaurs, dinosaurs, and the action sequence of the breaking glass is still terrific

SPR, The opening battle sequence,

Minority Report, the moment when you realize that the man Cruise is to kill is the child molester that took his son(or so you think)

Catch Me If You Can, the amazing opening credits

The Terminal, the look of the film

War of the Worlds, so many but the first time the Walkers make the trumpent sound, its so frightening.

Munich, the phone bomb sequence is intense

Kindgom of the Crystal Skull, the bomb explosion, the chase through the campus

The mention of 'The Color Purple' rings a bell; while i found the fairy tale treatment of Celie's story too much too take, the images and visual storytelling are aces. Spielberg was on a roll, then...and somehow i wished that he would've filmed his 'Peter Pan' film in 1985. By 1991, his visual imagination seemed stale and tired, sadly.

The mention of 'The Color Purple' rings a bell; while i found the fairy tale treatment of Celie's story too much too take, the images and visual storytelling are aces. Spielberg was on a roll, then...and somehow i wished that he would've filmed his 'Peter Pan' film in 1985. By 1991, his visual imagination seemed stale and tired, sadly.

The Color Purple is kinda of a musical with the musical acts kept to a minimum. It's one of my favorite Spielbergs because I can watch it again and again. The film radiates Spielberg's ambition and love for film to such an extend that it' almost palpable.

Alex