What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Mr. Breathmask

Batman

The Keaton one of course. This will always be a favorite of mine. I hope one of these days it gets released on Blu-Ray.

It is, no official date yet but all the films are being released overseas in 2009. Scroll down to 11/12/2008.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa162.html

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Valkyrie

The film is impressive alone for its cast, it's just a shame there wasn't more for some of them to work with (Brannagh does great work with the time he's in). Accents were never an issue with me before the film was released, and five minutes in I didn't think about it. I feel the film worked best up until Operation Valkyrie is initiated, as there are some really good suspense moments in the lead up. It does lose a little steam afterwards, but it doesn't pull the rest of the film down. I found Ottman's score to be fine and it worked well in the movie (three quotes of Munich and all). Newton Thomas Siegel's DP work has also been getting progressively better with each Singer film, and some of the production design is great as well. As for qualms, I didn't find any problems with character development, as some people have had, with the main characters because they give you all you need, with the exception of Stauffenberg's wife who I felt needed a bit more of anything.

That aside, I liked it.

The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button (****)

Basically the exact opposite of what Joey wrote.

I can't imagine giving this film 4 stars, I'd give it 1 star out of 5.

The acting is competent, but bland. The makeup looks like makeup.

Blanchett and Pitt lack any chemistry whatsoever. As I said earlier the cinematography is well done, but to what point.

Benjamin doesn't live an extraordinary life. Fincher typically manages to screw up everything. There is no beauty the way he shot New Orleans, yes the color pallet is extraordinary but where is the magic at the sun rise on Ponchatrain, where is the feeling one can only get when walking down the Bourbon St? I did like the fact that they ate at the Clover Grill, perhaps the best greasy spoon in all of New Orleans, and a true Gay Icon.

I know for a fact that studio heads wanted a shorter film, but didn't force that, and they should have. At half the lenght this film could have been impressive. Instead its just a gimic film with no pay off. There was no saddness when Benjamin dies, and whats the point of putting the films central story at the beginning of Katrina, it makes no sense. The one good thing this movie has done is make me want to read the source material. I'm sure there is so much better quality in Fitzgeralds short story.

One last thing, THANK GOD SPIELBERG PASSED ON THIS MESS. Course he wouldn't have messed it up as bad as Fincher, even as average as he's become he's still dozens of times better than Fincher could ever be.

Yeah, I tend to dislike David Fincher's films, as well. "Alien 3" was..."Alien 3", and...wait did David Fincher direct "Fight Club"? If so, I do not think he did a bad job....

If you've only seen two movies, you need to see more. Fincher disowns Alien 3 because he shot it scene by scene, he never had a full script.

I do, I think Fight Club is a terrible film, but it appeals to a certain crowd.

I guess you just don't click with him. I love all his films.

No, I just interrupted my own train of thought. Give me a moment to remember, and I will list the films of his that I have seen (disregarding the ones I have already mentioned).

EDI: Alright, here we go.

Se7en ( or however it was spelled)

Panic Room

There was one other film of his that I saw, but I cannot remember it. I think it was called something like "The Game" , and it was some kind of horror film. I also seem to remember that Howard Shore scored it. Am I correct?

Yeah, I tend to dislike David Fincher's films, as well. "Alien 3" was..."Alien 3", and...wait did David Fincher direct "Fight Club"? If so, I do not think he did a bad job....

If you've only seen two movies, you need to see more. Fincher disowns Alien 3 because he shot it scene by scene, he never had a full script.

I guess you just don't click with him. I love all his films.

I'm not surprised, considering your tastes.

No, I just interrupted my own train of thought. Give me a moment to remember, and I will list the films of his that I have seen (disregarding the ones I have already mentioned).

EDI: Alright, here we go.

Panic Room

There was one other film of his that I saw, but I cannot remember it. I think it was called something like "The Game" , and it was some kind of horror film. I also seem to remember that Howard Shore scored it. Am I correct?

The Game was not a horror film.

I'm not surprised, considering your tastes.

Yeah you and me don't share any similar tastes. I think the closest we got was our hatred towards Uwe Bol and our love for E.T. and Superman.

Yeah, people who for some reason want to follow the teachings and "philosophies" of Tyler Durden.

So sad that so many people -- people who love the movie AND people who hate it -- persist in thinking that the movie wants you to "follow" Tyler Durden. Couldn't be further from the truth.

Great movie, misunderstood by people who had no interest in understanding it to begin with.

Yeah, people who for some reason want to follow the teachings and "philosophies" of Tyler Durden.

So sad that so many people -- people who love the movie AND people who hate it -- persist in thinking that the movie wants you to "follow" Tyler Durden. Couldn't be further from the truth.

I don't think that, but I've come across my fair share of nuts who think the character's extremist doctrines are worth a damn.

I don't think that, but I've come across my fair share of nuts who think the character's extremist doctrines are worth a damn.

Oh, I know, and no offense intended, of course -- I've met quite a few of those folk myself. It's definitely got some serious appeal to the exact kind of people who Durden "recruits" in the movie itself. I just don't think the movie itself has any interest in making you feel that way, and that's an attitude I've also encountered that I don't agree with.

In my mind, the movie is trying to show how attractive that type of nihilism can be, and also show how insane, corrupt, and damaging it can be. It's not for everybody, of course, but not all movies can (or should) be.

The Dark Knight:

It was my second viewing, and it held up great. I caught way more of the details, plot bits, themes, and overall experience. As the most thought-provoking film of the summer (at least that I saw), it definitely required a second viewing (and maybe a third) to fully sink in. Ledger was fantastic, I really think he deserves the Oscar. I don't see what's so fantastic about Eckhart's performance. It was very good, but nothing great. And the music, which I thought was good, is really very very good. Not only did it fit the film perfectly, but it really added to it. I heard thematic development, and it was overall just a really good score. I must consider getting the boxset soundtrack sometime. 4.25/5 stars

At least this movie is capable of stirring some kind of commotion. Apparently, the film provokes a strong reaction. People actively discuss about the philosophies and the moral meaning of the movie. That means Fincher must've done something right. Art is more than just capturing 'beauty'. I find the film is well-made, its subject unique and thus interesting to watch.

Alex

I find it hard to differentiate from when Joey has his tongue in his cheek and when he's really doing his Victor Meldrew shtick, so I'll assume he's deadly serious about Fincher. That makes me even more fascinated that someone would go so far to state that David Fincher, one of the few directors around at the moment with an actual strong personal style, is a terrible director. It just seems incredible. ZODIAC alone is a prime example of why it's a great thing we have a Fincher to seperate from the Ratners and the Verbinskis.

I can't wait to see BUTTON, though.

Personally, I think Fincher is one of the more interesting directors working today.

Alien 3: As I've said here before, I personally like this movie a lot, but I also understand why so many people hate it. In fact, the part of me that is a big fan of Aliens hates Fincher's movie, too. Once I figured out that Alien 3 is an entirely different movie from that one, though, I appreciated it for what it is.

Seven: A beautifully-shot, thoroughly disturbing film that I'd rank as second only to The Silence of the Lambs among serial-killer movies. (Although I'd take the first season of Millennium over either one of them.)

The Game: I love this movie. Certain aspects of it are a little silly, I guess; it IS hard to believe in the idea of a company with THAT much power. But I've accepted way sillier things from movies nowhere near as well-made as this one.

Fight Club: Easily one of my favorite movies.

Panic Room: It didn't stick with me at all. I saw it once and enjoyed it, but I can't remember much of anything about it now.

Zodiac: I was so-so on it when I saw it, but I've been wanting to see the longer cut since it came out.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: I know I liked it, but I have yet to figure out for myself how much I liked it, or even whether or not I think it's a good movie. I'll tell you this, the effects work is tremendous, and it makes me sad that Fincher's adaptation of Rendezvous With Rama never got off the ground.

I just don't see any sort of a reason to be disinterested in this guy's career. To each their own, though.

Sunday Bloody Sunday (1971). Sublime English drama by John Schlesinger about a 30-ish woman and a 40-ish gay man who share a (male) lover, and wh oare preparing for said lover's departure to the US. Glenda Jackson is good as the woman, and Murray Head is nice and vacuous as the lover, but Peter Finch is the real star of this film. Both Jackson and Finch paint a moving portrait of desperation, but Finch strikes a more resonant chord. This must be one of the first time where a gay character was not portrayed as a series of stereotypes. Finch is very comfortable and very believable. This is one very, very, fine drama.

The Lords of Dogtown. 2005 film about the begining of skateboarding culture in California in the mid-70's. The movie has a nice feel to it, a nice connection to the period (good choice of music), and the first half is good. Eventually, though, it loses it's connection to the mood of the piece, and goes straight for story, which not at all interesting. Performances are fine.

Duck You Sucker (aka A Fistful of Dynamite, aka Once Upon a Time The Revolution). Sergio Leone's last western, which I'd never seen before. I'd always assumed that this was a throw-away movie, a lesser work. And while it's not up there with The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly and Once Upon a Time in The West, I was shocked by how good it was. It's a phenominal movie, not that far below the previously mentioned titles, and IMO superior to the rest of Leone's films (including his last).

This is especially surprising, given that the film opens with a quote from Mao, and it's first shot is of ants being urinated on. The first twenty minutes are a bit slow, but once it gets going (basically when James Coburn shows up), it is supremely enjoyable. Many classic Leone visuals, in a very engaging and politically resonant story. Bothy Rod Steiger and Coburn as well cast and do well in the roles. Steiger's character initially seems to be identical to Eli Wallach's Tuco, but luckily the character here has a bit of different focal point, and is less antic and more human (though it still doesn't come close to the brilliance of Wallach's performance). Coburn's inherent irony works excellently for his character (The flashbacks involving his character look great and are quite resonant).

The film has several great shots and set-pieces -Coburn's entrance on motorcycle, the horrifying trenches of death, the carriage at the begining with gun barrels point in at every window- but the bank 'robbery' probably takes the cake. A wonderful scene, set in the center of a vividly realized town, where Steiger goes in to rob the bank but finds something unexpected inside. The scene has a piece of music that I liked before, but I absolutely love now. Morricone, as always with Leone, totally nailed it, and manages to to make an entire score out of not much more than four themes.

The film is a delight, highly recommended for whoever likes Leone's other film.

And Finally, I walked out of my first movie in a very, very, very, long time. The Cinematheque was showing Luchino Visconti's Ludwig, about the supposedly mad king of Bavaria in the mid-19th century. I was excited, as they were showing the rare complete 4 hour version of the movie. I now know why it was cut. The film redefined boring and univolving for me. I loved the other Visconti film I saw (The Leopard). This one was long and dull and lifeless and joyless and long. I walked out after an hour and a half. It was an excruciating hour and a half. Scenes go on forever- each scene was about 7-8 minutes long, with almost nothing said or done. Visually the film is drab and stately- like a BBC film, and without the good acting to rectify the situation. I can't recall ever being as bored b a movie. It was so boring that when I got home, I went straight to sleep. It was only 9 PM, and I usually go to sleep about 6 hours later, but I was still tired from having watched that film.

did David Fincher direct "Fight Club"?

Panic Room

He directed Madonna videos?
What was it, a thriller film?

Oh, for heaven's sake. You're on the Internet!

Look something up for a change.

:rolleyes:

People with good taste? You're right, it does.

no, not at all, people of a base crowd. Its definately a drunken movie crowd film.

Alex, quit throwing the word Art around, Benjamin Button is not art in any sense or form its craft meant to make money, and doing not such a great job at that.

Alex, quit throwing the word Art around, Benjamin Button is not art in any sense or form, it's craft meant to make money

So is every film put into a theatre. Doesn't mean it isn't art.

I just don't see any sort of a reason to be disinterested in this guy's career. To each their own, though.

Fincher is one of my favorite directors. I'd call him a flawless one if it wasn't for Alien 3.

Duck You Sucker (aka A Fistful of Dynamite, aka Once Upon a Time The Revolution). Sergio Leone's last western, which I'd never seen before. I'd always assumed that this was a throw-away movie, a lesser work. And while it's not up there with The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly and Once Upon a Time in The West, I was shocked by how good it was. It's a phenominal movie, not that far below the previously mentioned titles, and IMO superior to the rest of Leone's films (including his last).

This is especially surprising, given that the film opens with a quote from Mao, and it's first shot is of ants being urinated on. The first twenty minutes are a bit slow, but once it gets going (basically when James Coburn shows up), it is supremely enjoyable. Many classic Leone visuals, in a very engaging and politically resonant story. Bothy Rod Steiger and Coburn as well cast and do well in the roles. Steiger's character initially seems to be identical to Eli Wallach's Tuco, but luckily the character here has a bit of different focal point, and is less antic and more human (though it still doesn't come close to the brilliance of Wallach's performance). Coburn's inherent irony works excellently for his character (The flashbacks involving his character look great and are quite resonant).

The film has several great shots and set-pieces -Coburn's entrance on motorcycle, the horrifying trenches of death, the carriage at the begining with gun barrels point in at every window- but the bank 'robbery' probably takes the cake. A wonderful scene, set in the center of a vividly realized town, where Steiger goes in to rob the bank but finds something unexpected inside. The scene has a piece of music that I liked before, but I absolutely love now. Morricone, as always with Leone, totally nailed it, and manages to to make an entire score out of not much more than four themes.

The film is a delight, highly recommended for whoever likes Leone's other film.

Glad you loved it. :rolleyes:

oh, Ok, definataly not art. Fincher does seem to connect better with Europeans for some reason.

Look something up for a change.

:rolleyes:

I actually agree with that.

oh, Ok, definataly not art. Fincher does seem to connect better with Europeans for some reason.

Why? I think Fincher is popular everywhere. In fact, I'm European and I don't like him all that much. (I think I only like Fight Club and Seven - not even sure if I like Seven - I liked it the first time)

At least this movie is capable of stirring some kind of commotion. Apparently, the film provokes a strong reaction. People actively discuss about the philosophies and the moral meaning of the movie. That means Fincher must've done something right. Art is more than just capturing 'beauty'. I find the film is well-made, its subject unique and thus interesting to watch.

I find it's subject unique inasmuch as it took an age-old theme and basically nailed it for it's time and place. However, I still think that the film's ending is wrong, and bad, and dulls the conversation surrounding the true isues the film raises. It's not about blowing up buildings.

Valkyrie. Seemed like it was over all too quickly with hardly a bit of character development. After all, the entire second half of the film was the climax. Ottman's score sucks.

One of my main complaints about Valkyrie was that there was no real characters, just action figures almost. However by the end of the film I realized why and I respected Singer for it. He wasn't going for that at all. He was purely going for an action thriller, something that would keep you on the edge of your seat. He accomplished that! The fact that he made me root for them even though I knew they will lose I think is a testament to how well he layered the tension. Must be difficult making a film where your audience already knows your characters will lose. Lose badly at that.

him and Cruise have been saying in every interview that it's not a historical film, but a suspense film that's set in WWII

Any other people who saw it? Is Cruise really as unbelievable in his role as some say? Is the English language distractive? How would you rate this film in the light of other WWII movies like Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Der Untergang, Sophie Scholl?

him and Cruise have been saying in every interview that it's not a historical film, but a suspense film that's set in WWII

Which just happens to be based on historical fact and features actual people?

Yes, sounds a bit ambiguous. What matters to me is, is the format of any influence on the believability (verisimilitude) of the movie.

Oh who cares how factual it is, we all know how the film ends. Obviously they get something right. :rolleyes:

Here's what Cruise has said

We spent eight months working – Bryan spent more time than that before – but when Bryan wanted me to come on board and we started working with (screenwriters) Chris (McQuarrie) and Nathan (Alexander), every time we started talking about the Holocaust and the different characters and trying to put as much into that story as possible, Bryan always went back to, "This is a piece of entertainment. This is a movie, a suspense thriller about killing Hitler." ........ But it's also there for a broad audience. We wanted to bring this movie to a broader audience.