Rate My Unofficial <80 Minute Kotcs Ost

crumbs

unofficialkingdomost.gif

Thoughts? Suggestions? I refuse to include anything with sound effects that are distracting or noticeable. I wanted to keep the symmetry between the start and end of the soundtrack, with the Russian march motif which inverses between its first appearance in the first cue, and the last cue barring the Finale/End Credits.

All in all, it has to stay at CD length so it can be burned to a regular compact disc!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's on the DVD menus?

PS, I haven't actually finished compiling this just yet. It's my project for the next week or two, so just hold in there folks! Hopefully it can coincide with the release of the Collection, so we don't feel so bad that the OST for KOTCS isn't expanded! :huh:

I'm pretty happy with my edits ,especially my Warehouse Escape ending and incorporation of the unreleased Previz music into the OST Jungle Chase .Can't tell the difference with "official" OST microedits.

ur edit sounds cool to me @ crumbs... but why is everyone forgetting the awesome cue where indy is at the Trainstation ... that variation of the Raiders much is soooo cool :huh:

Would be very pleased if anyone can make it and send it to me ... cause i dont have a DVD-Drive at my PC at the moment :lol:

PS: is it possible to get ur edit ? @ crumbs & king mark.

Having the Raiders March was nice and needed to get people to buy the CD I suppose, but I like your idea of editing it down while keeping it apart. Your selections seem very logical and makes up most of the missing music I wanted to hear when I bought the CD.

there's no point in removing anything

People still use these portable c.d. players in 2008?

You'd be surprised...and Neil obviously does.

I haven't had a portable CD player since I bought my first mp3 player (which was the Zen) back in 2005 or 2006...something like that.

I really like "Inflitrating the Base" after hearing it in the film.

When watching the film in theatres for the first time, I forgot for a moment that the score was going to be awesome until that cue started, and I was like "yes! JW!" I'd say that and complete Jungle Chase are tied for best unreleased Indy 4 cues.

I definitely like this score better in light of the DVD rips, but there are some cues that are, to me, unquestionably bad. The opening cue with the Soviets driving up to the warehouse and the cue for Indy stumbling around after the rocket sled stops come to mind.

Yes, that's right. I think it's just cartoony sounding. Given such shocking circumstances as the ruthless and unexplained murder of American soldiers, I was expecting something better than "da-da-da-da BAD GUYS!" music. It's not as bad as the music after the rocket sled halts, though. That's an absolute farce.

I'm also more and more convinced this is one of Murphy's best recordings. It's clear, dynamic, and in your face, much better than the mud soup you usually get with him.

There are quite a few of the quieter unreleased cues I'd really like to hear in better quality, like the warehouse sequence from where the OST cue ends to the start of the escape action, the bridge between Secret Doors and Scorpions and Orellana's Cradle, and the Treasure Room cue. It sounds like there's lots of interesting little things going on, including more electronics than Williams usually uses.

Yes, that's right. I think it's just cartoony sounding. Given such shocking circumstances as the ruthless and unexplained murder of American soldiers, I was expecting something better than "da-da-da-da BAD GUYS!" music. It's not as bad as the music after the rocket sled halts, though. That's an absolute farce.

Hey it is an Indiana Jones score. What the hell were you expecting? Murderous swirling strings, mournful adagio for shocking death of American soldiers, somber and sad. Of course the music is militaristic and cartoony bad guy music. It is Indiana Jones style after all.

@ crumbs: The 80 minutes you have compiled looks like a very good listening experience and also a very good presentation of the score as a whole. For me the most difficult thing was to decide where to put the concert arrangements of the Skull theme and Mutt's theme so that they do not disrupt the flow of the actual score. In the end I chose to include the Call of the Crystal before A Whirl Through the Academe just like you have done but Mutt's theme is trickier. It just feels a bit premature to include it just after the Warehouse sequence but finding a proper place for it in other parts of the score is equally difficult. Placing it after or before the Jungle Chase is just over kill when the Chase has a long segment of that theme already. So finally I decided to put the theme after the Finale and End Credits along with Raiders March and whatnot. Put I did not limit myself to 80 minutes like you have.

I'm the opposite. That was one of my favorite moments of the score. The Russian theme is also the only theme really in Williams' "classic" mode I believe (a short theme or rather motif that is seemingly simple, developed over a short cue, building the tension, and without any Hook-ish or Gilderoy Lockhart-ish frills. It has the same effect on me as the conspiracy music of CE3K). How would you say this is cartoony? I think it's perhaps stereotypical bad guys music (and as such, ties in beautifully with Raiders and Last Crusade), but I don't think it's cartoony. (The characters in the film are though.) For me, it's Mutt's music that is really cartoony.

Looking really good, especially if you wanna stay under 80 minutes. What could always free up some time would be removing the Raiders March as track 1, as it's not really part of the score in this form (although I agree that an Indy-score HAS to have it).

Regarding the DVD-menus, one of them includes "Spalko's Dossier" (which is played in the FBI-interrogation-scene), which fades nicely into the establishment shot of Marshall College. That last part is absolutely clean on the DVD right until the last note has faded out, but I'm not sure if there's anything missing inbetween.

The Russian theme was one of the very few things I really liked about this score! And it was abysmally underrepresented on album. The only part of the whole album that truly thrills me like a good JW score should is the segue from Irina's theme to the Russian theme in the end credits track. That's it.

Give me more!

Hey it is an Indiana Jones score. What the hell were you expecting? Murderous swirling strings, mournful adagio for shocking death of American soldiers, somber and sad. Of course the music is militaristic and cartoony bad guy music. It is Indiana Jones style after all.

The Nazi music in Raiders wasn't a joke. It's hard to articulate how I feel about the music; it just seems like Williams was being lazy and writing the most stereotypical military suspense music he could.

I guess that to you evil can only be conveyed by a big, blaring fanfare.

...which is why people like the very beggining of "Irina's Theme," which is anything but a big, blaring fanfare.

Irina's Theme does not exactly convey evil to me; more like seduction.

Spalko didn't strike me as a very seducing villain.

Yes, but I thought this was about the music? He said Irina's Theme conveyed evil, and I said it's more like seduction.

Yes, but I thought this was about the music? He said Irina's Theme conveyed evil, and I said it's more like seduction.

I know. It's just a little odd that the music is seductive when the character is not.

Irina's theme is easily the weakest of the new themes (yes, Mutt's theme too). I only really like it in Jungle Chase. On the other hand, I can't get enough of the Russian theme.

I know. It's just a little odd that the music is seductive when the character is not.

That's the joy of being a film composer; being asked to score what's not there...

My edit's 78 minutes right now, with the deletion of Mutt's Theme and the Raiders March. I've put Call of the Crystal at the opening as an overture, and Irina's theme tagged onto Spalko's Dossier.

Irina's theme is easily the weakest of the new themes (yes, Mutt's theme too). I only really like it in Jungle Chase. On the other hand, I can't get enough of the Russian theme.

For me, the new themes rank:

1. Irina's Theme

2. Mutt's Theme

3. Russian Theme

4. Call of the Crystal

But they're all fantastic. I think the Russian Theme would be higher on my list if it had a concert version.