Interview with Bouzereau

Maestro

No pressure, Maestro.

LOL No worries there Maestro.. the interview just happily coincides with me actually opening my wallet a little again to get the fsm subscription... about 2 years ago now I guess I actually started my own company so I clamped down on spending.. so now that things are actually going well I'm starting to loosen up a little again.

J Moss

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not all liner notes PR fluff! I do wish he'd been a little more candid, but there are definitely some answers to your questions in the article.

But it's your five bucks!

Well, ten bucks for me anyway. I might give it a buy if it means access to the magazine archives. All those juicy Goldsmith articles.

:cool:

First off, it's $60 for me, because they only take Paypal for yearly subscriptions. So because of Marc's policy, that's how much I have to pay to legally read this interview.

Combine that with the ban on discussing DVD-ripping and even mentioning torrents. *ahem*, I invite the board's policy to travel forward to 2008 and the real world. Let me make this crystal clear: I am not trying to deprive anyone of their earnings. I just wish people would realise they can't control everything we do, and by relaxing the rules a little bit, people can make more money and everyone gets the content they want, how they want it.

Explain the part about how "people can make more money."

Yeah, I seem to have missed something in that statement, too.

Neil

The irony of it? I hardly listen to the expanded Superman score, cause I never got into it, somehow.

That's not irony, that's stupidity :cool:

Well stupid or not, I never got into the Superman score.

I love the March and Can You Read My Mind? but that's about it.

Well, maybe I'm saving myself that one for when I'm older. :P

Maestro, while we are waiting for the next issue to be published which contains your Bouzereau interview, in which back-issues can we find prior interviews you've conducted to whet our appetites?

Neil

Drop DRM - more people will buy music to use on more devices - I have. And legalise file-sharing and charge for use, versus no revenue for that at the moment and a lot of bad PR.

That's just two ways.

There's a great example at the moment in the games world. GTA IV came out on PC not long ago. Apart from widespread performance and installation problems, most reviews on Amazon have commented on the fact that you need a Windows Live ID and 'Rockstar Social Club' membership just to save a game, and the game's laced with DRM. What the hell happened to just playing a sodding game without it phoning home every 2 mins?

I appreciate the need to protect revenue, but when an 'illegal', cracked version of the game is easier to use than the official one, you've got problems.

Drop DRM - more people will buy music to use on more devices. Legalise file-sharing and charge for use, versus no revenue for that at the moment and a lot of bad PR.

But who will buy DRM-free music? Not you, since you've indicated in the past that you pretty much download whatever you want unless it's something really special.

Neil

Drop DRM - more people will buy music to use on more devices - I have. And legalise file-sharing and charge for use, versus no revenue for that at the moment and a lot of bad PR.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with allowing an article that belongs in a friendly website's members only section on this forum.

I won't stand for this article being blatantly posted here.

Anyone who does can expect a ban.

Cheerio,

- Marc

Ok, I won't go any further Marc - I respect your wishes (what I really want to say would get me banned anyway).

Let's just say I'm an advocate of technology being used productively and efficiently, and the media industry is staggeringly crap at this sometimes :(

Drop DRM - more people will buy music to use on more devices. Legalise file-sharing and charge for use, versus no revenue for that at the moment and a lot of bad PR.

But who will buy DRM-free music? Not you, since you've indicated in the past that you pretty much download whatever you want unless it's something really special.

Incorrect. To date I've bought over 20 digital albums and god knows how many tracks. If I hear an individual track I love, I buy it. No questions asked. I don't buy many CDs because due to my computer being my only listening device, mp3s are good enough.

I would buy a lot more if the labels would license them this way.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with allowing an article that belongs in a friendly website's members only section on this forum.

I won't stand for this article being blatantly posted here.

Anyone who does can expect a ban.

Cheerio,

- Marc

What about summarizing the article. Are you going to ban that too?

and why are you specifically "protecting" FSM?

Maestro, while we are waiting for the next issue to be published which contains your Bouzereau interview, in which back-issues can we find prior interviews you've conducted to whet our appetites?

Let's see.

The November issue features part 1 of my interview with David Arnold (which will conclude this month).

October featured part 1 of an interview with Jeff Beal (with part II in November).

September featured part 1 of Carter Burwell (with part II in October...seeing a pattern?).

And in August I interviewed both Theodore Shapiro and Kevin Kiner.

Thanks for taking an interest!

If I say

In the article is says Williams composed the Bridge Percussions

Re-use fees is why the missing cues aren't there.

They couldn't find the ToD End Credits tape that's why we don't have the film version

WHY IS THIS FORBIDDEN ?

Please explain.Why are you making up random rules to make sure everyone subscribes to the magazine?

Obviously, it's all part of my masterplan to annoy you.

And because I think it's important we support venues like FSM who provide us these services and materials at a very low profit margin. I don't want to see their content copy/pasted to the MB the moment it comes out.

You can discuss it, but with it being in FSM's members section it might be a bit hard to follow here.

You could of course go and discuss it over at FSM's boards, where I'm sure they'll be delighted you've taken the time and effort to read one of their fine articles.

If I say

In the article is says Williams composed the Bridge Percussions

Re-use fees is why the missing cues aren't there.

They couldn't find the ToD End Credits tape that's why we don't have the film version

WHY IS THIS FORBIDDEN ?

I would not forbid that. I'm mostly concerned about the entire article or large sections of it popping up on this forum.

- Marc, getting very tired of this debate.

ok then.

I just don't want you to start limiting discussion every time you feel someone might be losing money because of it ,there's already enough stuff on the board we can't talk about anymore.

I'm not a big fan of FSM right now.I've generally disliked their MB for years and my Indy box set arrived 3 weeks late and I'm still P.Oed about it.

Hum, so Williams laid his hand on the production of this set? Figures!

I never thought Laurent was the true "enemy" (except for the wrong pitches). After all, he did a great job on E.T., CE3K and JAWS. The only one not complete is E.T., but we have the LD to fulfill that (thanks to Laurent). The only reason we have expanded edition of those, be it on CD or music tracks from LD/DVD is because Laurent Bouzereau produced special editions home video for each. Also, let us not forget of 1941 and Psycho. When don't have expanded CDs of those, but we do have all of the music anyway. So he's perfectly fit to produce expanded editions. Maybe not as much as Nick Redman or Michael Matessino of Ford Thaxton, but a very good one anyway

Oh, speaking of Nick Redman, I remembered an interview of him that he said that John Williams tried to veto the isolated music track from the Jaws 20th Anniversary LD, but it came in to late for the mastering engineers to remove it.

So, shoul we really blame Laurent? Or our idol John Williams?

Just reistating: I won't pay a cent to read this article! It's an absurd!

Hum, so Williams laid his hand on the production of this set? Figures!

I never thought Laurent was the true "enemy" (except for the wrong pitches). After all, he did a great job on E.T., CE3K and JAWS. The only one not complete is E.T., but we have the LD to fulfill that (thanks to Laurent). The only reason we have expanded edition of those, be it on CD or music tracks from LD/DVD is because Laurent Bouzereau produced special editions home video for each. Also, let us not forget of 1941 and Psycho. When don't have expanded CDs of those, but we do have all of the music anyway. So he's perfectly fit to produce expanded editions. Maybe not as much as Nick Redman or Michael Matession of Ford Thaxton, but a very good one anyway

Oh, speaking of Nick Redman, I remembered an interview of him that he said that John Williams tried to veto the isolated music track from the Jaws 20th Anniversary LD, but it came in to late for the mastering engineers to remove it.

So, shoul we really blame Laurent? Or our idol John Williams?

Just reistating: I won't pay a cent to read this article! It's an absurd!

But think about everything else that you would have access to!

I was just looking at the rules. Look what I found!

"10 - DO NOT 'copy and paste' CD/film reviews or full interviews that can be found online. You may provide a link to the original page instead."

I guess that settles that.

Neil

"10 - DO NOT 'copy and paste' CD/film reviews or full interviews that can be found online. You may provide a link to the original page instead."

Neil

Well,yes of course. That wasn't what I meant. I meant discussing the points the article brings up without actually copy and pasting the whole interview and without fear of being banned.

There is no isolated score on the LD.

However they included the original album CD and the paperback of Benchley's book.

Neil

09 - DO NOT post unofficial/unconfirmed news as if they were official or confirmed. There is a big difference between an unconfirmed RUMOR and an official report. Always verify your sources.

Of course you'd never do that now would you Neil... (I'm talking about the Indy box speculation)

--

I think I'll subscribe to this thing though. The idea of having all the back issues is actually rather appealing.

Naa, I just tend to overreact a bit when something I really believe solidly in is debated.

Anyone read about the story recently about a class of computer students who submitted their final project work in .doc, which wasn't on the 'acceptable formats' list of the exam board (wrongly told by their teacher) and therefore failed their whole diplomas? That's an example of where I could not believe an organisation could be so obtuse and thoroughly ignorant of plain common sense.

Anyway, I just bought 3 CDs on Amazon mkt place. Who says I don't buy stuff ;)

Neil

09 - DO NOT post unofficial/unconfirmed news as if they were official or confirmed. There is a big difference between an unconfirmed RUMOR and an official report. Always verify your sources.

Of course you'd never do that now would you Neil... (I'm talking about the Indy box speculation)

--

I think I'll subscribe to this thing though. The idea of having all the back issues is actually rather appealing.

I never did that. I posted my opinion on what I thought the set would be based on all of the available information at the time (poorly worded press releases that were open to interpretation).

Neil

Neil

Well,yes of course. That wasn't what I meant. I meant discussing the points the article brings up without actually copy and pasting the whole interview and without fear of being banned.

I believing we were already doing that without fear of getting banned. My only fear in discussing FSM Online stuff was in frustrating those who did not have it.

Why do you seriously give a damn so much? If you really want to read it that badly KM, just do what someone earlier in the thread suggested, subscribe, download the article then unsubscribe. Is $5 really that much of a difference to you?

no it's not actually. It's the principle of paying 5$ for a 3 page interview online I'll read in a few minutes when the rest of the internet is free. I don't want to read the archives ,I only want to know what was Williams involvement in the box set. And it's about discussing things on this board without excessive and arbitrary restrictions

i'd rather buy another c.d. instead.

no it's not actually. It's the principle of paying 5$ for a 3 page interview online I'll read in a few minutes when the rest of the internet is free. I don't want to read the archives ,I only want to know what was Williams involvement in the box set. And it's about discussing things on this board without excessive and arbitrary restrictions

i'd rather buy another c.d. instead.

There's more to FSM than just John Williams and that's what people are paying for.

So John Williams wrote the "Palace Source Music", too?

This is what I am wondering. Everything musical within me says that he didn't, but it seems to have been implied that he did.

Let's see.

The November issue features part 1 of my interview with David Arnold (which will conclude this month).

October featured part 1 of an interview with Jeff Beal (with part II in November).

September featured part 1 of Carter Burwell (with part II in October...seeing a pattern?).

And in August I interviewed both Theodore Shapiro and Kevin Kiner.

Thanks for taking an interest!

Cool! Will the Bouzereau interview be spread over 2 issues as well?

So John Williams wrote the "Palace Source Music", too?

This is what I am wondering. Everything musical within me says that he didn't, but it seems to have been implied that he did.

Yea, I kinda feel the same way. Just because Bouzereau said "John Williams wrote everything except Anything Goes", doesn't mean that Laurent forgot the palace source music existed when he said that. I can definitely see the dinner instrumental music being a JW composition... especially since we know he did the market source and the palace source from indy 3.... but the one with the female vocal before the dinner scene? I dunno, it just doesn't feel JW to me

I can't remember where I heard this (possibly an article on the film or in a book on Spielberg) but I seem to recall that the group of Indian musicians who were hired to play in the TOD palace scene didn't show up for the shoot, so somebody went to a local Indian restaurant near the studio (in the U.K.) and hired the group who was playing there. They came to the studio and played in the scene and that's who you see. And they played their own music, not Williams'. If it was recorded on the set (and it sounds like it was), then it's not something that would be on the scoring tapes. Taking only those into account, "Anything Goes" would be the only non-Williams composition. The background music during the banquet was Williams, but the live performance before the banquet was not.

I don't get why there was a question about the rope bridge percussion. It always sounded like Williams to me very obviously.

I don't get why there was a question about the rope bridge percussion. It always sounded like Williams to me very obviously.

Same here.

Especially now that we have some very similar percussion released in To Pankot Palace.

Same here.

Especially now that we have some very similar percussion released in To Pankot Palace.

Maybe it was ghostwritten.......;)

But seriously I never had any doubt.

Same here.

Maybe it was ghostwritten.......;)

But seriously I never had any doubt.

Me neither. If it had been written by someone else, that person would have been credited, unless it's a "Traditional Song."

And that intense percussion music never struck me as a "traditional" piece. ;)

Cool! Will the Bouzereau interview be spread over 2 issues as well?

Yeah, wouldn't that be a popular move! Umm...you'll have to shell out TEN dollars to read the whole thing, stingy JWfans.

No. Even though I've developed a pattern of two-parters, this article will fit tidily in one.

Hey Maestro, did you ask him what he's working on now?

Q: What is your next project?

A: I am writing a new book and directing/producing several documentaries for DVDs and two for television.

Even that answer was vague!

(By the way, my direct quotations from the interview are ones that did not make it into the article. So don't worry: I'm not pirating my own ship.)

Q: What is your next project?

A: I am writing a new book and directing/producing several documentaries for DVDs and two for television.

Even that answer was vague!

I think she meant what JW is working on! ;)