Do you want John Williams to score the last Harry Potter movie?

Jessie Lohner

Do you want John Williams to score the last Harry Potter movie?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

• Sure!
    • No way!

I would so love for this to happen.

Just imagine the chilly, mournful "Christmas Eve in Godric's Hollow," the soaring "Flight from Gringotts," the epic "Battle of Hogwarts"...

Unfortunately, there's no hope for it.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because I rather liked the Order Of The Phoenix score, and think Hooper is good enough to take on the rest of the series.

Sure, he'd be good enough, but that doesn't mean he'll be better than John Williams! Or is "good enough" good enough for you? :lol:

As such, I would love to see John Williams complete the musical journey with the final Harry Potter film(s).

Sorry, but that's simply not the musical journey envisioned for these films.

Because I rather liked the Order Of The Phoenix score, and think Hooper is good enough to take on the rest of the series.

Sure, he'd be good enough, but that doesn't mean he'll be better than John Williams! Or is "good enough" good enough for you? ;)

you've got to understand his taste is....well its......

oh hell he's a zimmer rimmer, that ought to be all thats needed to be said.

we need to remember that John Williams said it himself he'd like to score the last one, and sorry Mark but Bruce B. isn't the musicl voice I want to hear, if not Williams then Hooper is ok with me.

Sure, he'd be good enough, but that doesn't mean he'll be better than John Williams! Or is "good enough" good enough for you? ;)

A zimmer rimmer? :lol::o

Count me in as one who's looking forward to a Shore's Hobbit score.

Oh definitely.

Not better than Williams. Your reasoning is flawed.

Just imagine the chilly, mournful "Christmas Eve in Godric's Hollow," the soaring "Flight from Gringotts," the epic "Battle of Hogwarts"...

Ray, you're killing me! It would be so good, and the fact it won't happen....ugh.

Ray, you're killing me! It would be so good, and the fact it won't happen....ugh.

Trying to get the point across? You've repeated that three times. :lol:

My taste is fine. I don't huddle up in a corner with all my traditional scores and pretend that modern film scores don't exist. I can actually appreciate the old and the new. I like Zimmer, big deal, so do a sh*t load of other people. You always just seem to single out that 1 fact. That I like Zimmer. That's all you talk about. He's not the only composer I listen to, and I hardly listen to him at all.

Not better than Williams. Your reasoning is flawed.

I'm not reasoning anything. I'm just saying Hooper is good enough to finish what he started. I'd rather have Williams score Lincoln and finally get another Oscar.

My taste is fine. I don't huddle up in a corner with all my traditional scores and pretend that modern film scores don't exist. I can actually appreciate the old and the new.

Does "old" include the Golden Age? :unsure:

My taste is fine. I don't huddle up in a corner with all my traditional scores and pretend that modern film scores don't exist. I can actually appreciate the old and the new.

Does "old" include the Golden Age? :unsure:

Yes, yes it does.

A few years ago, if I do so recall. In fact, the article is buried somewhere in this website. You can see it by looking at the "Index" or "Sources" page or whatever they call it on Wikipedia.org. Just look at John Williams' page.

Man, I remember that. Talk about a comment being taken completely out of context and blown out of proportion. There's a thread about it in here somewhere. Williams was just being his usual diplomatic self, "Oh yes, I'd love to return". Even if he wants to, it might not be up to him.

It won't be up to him. If Yates is directing, which he is, then Hooper will do the score. Nothing can break the sacred bong between director and composer!

Sacred bong?

For the record, I voted yes. Why not?

But the sad fact is this. We assume that if Williams DID agree to score the final HP film, it would of course be brilliantly scored with Williams returning to his rich thematic palette from the first three films, and developing those themes in exciting new ways, building up into a gigantic, glorious finale...

...he didn't do that with Revenge of the Sith OR Indy IV. Perfect opportunities to employ an incredible body of work, and what do we get? Whole passages that are note-for-note lifts out of the original films, 12 minutes of the Throne Room music, boring atmospheric underscore....

He doesn't seem as keen on employing and maturing past leitmotifs and musical ideas in very creative ways as he used to. Not at all.

So go ahead and stay out of HP, Johnny. Do something bold and new.

Then again, he also abandoned most of the previous material for Prisoner of Azkaban and look how that turned out. That could happen again.

I think he just needs to be decently inspired to right good music now. That's why ROTS and Indy 4 weren't the best, because the moves were fairly bland.

Oh you listen to others, mostly zimmer klones.

Oh shut up. Go listen to Crusade.

I was another who voted no. I believe Williams' involvement finished, a went out in great style with PoA, I don't think his heart would be in it for another instalment after Doyle and Hooper..err, shaped the franchise.

That's not to say that Ray's post didn't make me drool - of course I'd love a Potter Jungle Chase, but I doubt it's going to happen, and every moment wishing it will is a moment missed bickering about the Indy box :D