2008 Golden Globes.

Ollie

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom Cruise and Robert Downey Jr. got noms for Tropic Thunder :D Awesome!

I'm overall pleased with the score noms. Eastwood's Changeling definitely doesn't belong there though, and the Academy will definitely not nominate him. Same with A.R. Rahman for Slumdog Millionare.

Cruise getting it is a joke. Happy that In Bruges got recognized. Otherwise, very predictable list, except for how little Milk is on there.

I haven't seen it, and I assume I'll like it. Cruise had a glorified cameo in the film. It shows how little they care about the quality of the performances. Cruise was hillarious for being un-Cruise. Downey was doing some real acting there.

When one of the biggest stars in the world does three scenes and five minutes, it's a cameo. And, again, it's quite insulting to Robert Downey Jr. real craft to put them in the same category.

Why are people so retarded, Morlock? Why?! WHY?! I can't comprehend the stupidity of comments like these (from ComingSoon):

Guess they don't want any viewers so they decided to stiff TDK. This is why no one watches these shows anymore - these are all films that no one will see.

This was a trend of the 80's award shows till they realized - hey, maybe ratings count - and most of the 90's best pic winners were blockbusters.

Not nominating The Dark Knight would be like not nominating LOTR, Titanic, or Forrest Gump - stupid.

Way to add insult to injury by nominating James Newton Howard and Hans Zimmer for other works not their collaboration - TDK - only the most intersting and original score of the year!

Well, it is indicitive of a larger prolbem. Last year, the Academy had a very good roster of nominees. But people just hadn't seen or cared all that much about those movies. The disconnect between audiences and quality is quite a problem. That's why Dark Knight, LoTR, Titanic, Forrest Gump had such a huge impact: the rare films that were hugely popular with audiences and critics alike. What that poster didn't realize is that until the 80's audiences actually saw a lot of the award winners. Foreign film ticket sales were at an all time high in the 70's. The big movies of every year were very much in the public eye, and more than just the occaisional catch phrase like 'I Drink your Milkshake' (which I'm sure is quoted by far more people than have seen There Will Be Blood).

Seriously I though TDK would garner a few more nominations.

It might have gotten score and picture, but lacking most of the technical categories, it didn't have that much room to work with. Besides, the Foreign Press have a tendency to go for more prestige pictures. I assume it will make a big dent on the Oscars, although it may be too over-exposed to get anything beyond supporting actor and a couple of technical awards. Too many who love the film are sick to death of hearing about it.

You fail to see it, or fail to understand it?

I think it added a huge grain of salt to the film. It's gonna be a while before I'll be able to watch it quietly, without thinking about all the chatter, most of it idle, that I've heard about it. A shame, since I really think it's a terrific film.

It's only the Golden Globes. Don't they usually do even worse than the Oscars?

Not really, they awarded John Williams for Memoirs

But didn't even nominate Return of the Jedi , or any of the first 3 Indiana Jones/Harry Potter scores.

Besides Best Supporting Actor (which was a given) I think it deserves at least a Best Cinematography nomination.

Do the globes have a cinematography award? I didn't see one....

I thought it also deserved adapted screenplay as well.

Besides Best Supporting Actor (which was a given) I think it deserves at least a Best Cinematography nomination.

Do the globes have a cinematography award? I didn't see one....

Yeah I just realized that they don't. My mistake.