Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (official Thread)

JoeinAR

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not if your expectations are in the right place, and depending on the composer.

Some composers I expect to see the majority of the score from, others will leave massive chunks off, but be smart enough to include highlights, and others *cough* Williams *cough* will press a train wreck.

Pretty much any expanded material from the mid 90s onwards would get me excited, but sadly, the artificial barrier I call reuse fees ensure that won't happen for a while.

so many of Willams fans just love to rip him for his albums. I get mad at the quality, never the choice of music placed on the cds. Some of you call me harsh but damn, some of you bitch over the least important stuff. I've never seen a single JW cd where the absolute best music from the score wasn't included.

I've never seen a single JW cd where the absolute best music from the score wasn't included.

Indeed. I do wonder where some of his logic for his CDs come from? I mean, edited Desert Chase..................

It's about a 'musical story' apparently.

I've never seen a single JW cd where the absolute best music from the score wasn't included.

Complete Jungle Chase. That's my favourite (and I consider best) cue of the score and only 1/3 was on the album.

Sirius' Escape from PoA omitted completely.

original ToD (!!!)

Come on... half the discussions in this place when we got a new Williams score were the great stuff left off. Don't try that argument.

But it isn't just about that Joey - Williams' own argument of a musical logic is broken by editing out 30 seconds of a cue for no apparent reason. Why did he write music for a scene if he didn't think it fit in with the story of the film?

Indeed. I do wonder where some of his logic for his CDs come from? I mean, edited Desert Chase..................

Yeah, and why do his CDs run in NTSC time?

And why are they re-ordered out of the movie order?

They told a story through music in the proper order.

Re-ordering virtually never works for me.

I also HATE placing the concert suites before the track where a theme is introduced,

because that way effect of the introduction is pretty much lost.

Placement of "Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra", I'm looking at you!

It's about a 'musical story' apparently.

The musical story is the whole score. No more, no less.

What he said. :)

Yeah, and why do his CDs run in NTSC time?

I know, isn't it terrible? :thumbup:

:thumbup::):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The F*cking ROTJ OST was missing 'Dark Side Beckons', arguably one of the best cues by Williams.

On a side note (from Soundtrack.net)

"Wrong Choice, Right Choice" featuring the dissonant death by drinking of the film's main villain and Indiana's selection of the carpenter's cup leading to salvation for himself and his father. In this cue, the grail theme is given its most glorious treatment with full orchestra and choir and is truly a highlight.

What chorus? It doesnt even have the synth one in 'The penitent man...'

I was suprised ROTJ was a single but I don't recall anyone getting all bent out of shape like people do here.

To be honest, at the time I figured Williams had just recycled some music from the previous films and there wasn't that much new music recorded.

I was happy with TOD when it was released.

nobody was bitching back then I can assure you.

What about ROTJ?

I hardly believe nobody felt dissapointed the best cue was not in the LP.

you want to know how dumb you sound, no one even knew the title of that que in 1983. After Star Wars and ESB I was disappointed that ROTJ was a one album soundtrack but I didn't let it ruin my day

What the hell are you talking about Joe? When I bought the RotJ cassette I immediately looked for Rebel Assembly (the real cue),Dark Side Beckons,Emperor Arrives,Through the Flames...ect...oh ,they weren't there.

nobody was bitching back then I can assure you.

What about ROTJ?

I hardly believe nobody felt dissapointed the best cue was not in the LP.

you want to know how dumb you sound, no one even knew the title of that que in 1983. After Star Wars and ESB I was disappointed that ROTJ was a one album soundtrack but I didn't let it ruin my day

OK 'smartass', (even though in your quote I did not mention the name of the cue...)

I hardly believe nobody felt dissapointed that the best cue was not in the LP, the music that scores the last part of the duel between Vader and Luke, when luke overthrows vader.

My first ever JW cd was "The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration". I was sooooo thrilled just by listening to concert versions... then came Jurassic Park, which I began to realize that it wasn't complete some time later, but I didn't actually bothered me. I was like 11 or 12 years old at the time...

But now, I think differently. I hate concert versions stuck in the middle of OSTs or incomplete OSTs!!! Not that it ruins my day or keeps me from sleep though...

What the hell are you talking about Joe? When I bought the RotJ cassette I immediately looked for Rebel Assembly (the real cue),Dark Side Beckons,Emperor Arrives,Through the Flames...ect...oh ,they weren't there.

So?

I had bought mine weeks before the movie was even released so I had no idea those cues even existed. Besides I knew there was going to be music left off the albums but I didn't go around whining about it.

I was just happy to have a new Star Wars soundtrack.

I was a bit unlucky about OSTs.

When I first got JP. I searched for the part "Mining for Bone and Amber"

When I first got Raiders 1995: I looked for the part "Government Agents"

When I first got Nightmare Before Christmas I looked for the orchestral music playing before Jacks Lament

list could go on, I was searching for cues on the CD before listening to the CD, cues that were just stuck in my mind from the films.. well......

So?

I had bought mine weeks before the movie was even released so I had no idea those cues even existed. Besides I knew there was going to be music left off the albums but I didn't go around whining about it.

I was just happy to have a new Star Wars soundtrack.

You just said this:

To be honest, at the time I figured Williams had just recycled some music from the previous films and there wasn't that much new music recorded.

You were not happy with that Soundtrack, you just didnt cared about it.

Still, my damn point, like always, gets mixed with other affairs and never noticed.

The ROTJ LP did not contain the best piece of music recorded for the movie, as Joe claimed all Williams CDs do.

That is just one example. I could continue naming several more

BTW ever since i started collecting scores (sometime i had internet and more time that i discovered bootlegs and this recent era of expanded releases), regarding OSTs, I think almost every one have been dissapointing of not having a cue i liked in the movie. dissapointed

what a damned liar you are KM, you may have listened for music you heard in the film but didn't find, but there were no titles associated to them.

and yes Luke it had the best music, Into the Trap was always there.

You just said this:

You were not happy with that Soundtrack, you just didnt cared about it.

Still, my damn point, like always, gets mixed with other affairs and never noticed.

Where does it say I don't care?

what a damned liar you are KM, you may have listened for music you heard in the film but didn't find, but there were no titles associated to them.

I didn't know the titles,but I knew a lot of music was missing .I thought the album was a rip off .Even back then I noticed unreleased music (except in E.T.) .Into the Trap is far from the best track too.

ah so the truth finally is admitted, of course you didn't know the titles and you didn't search for the Darkside Beckons.

As far as the best piece of music I guess thats truly subjective. I think Into the Trap is the piece I always gravitate too. I appreciate the new music, but I've always been greatful for what is originally included. And unlike some I enjoy the concert pieces so much I wouldn't want to do without them.

I knew the music that would be later be named Dark Side Beckons was missing .

I also knew Rebel Assembly on the album was mis-named AND an alternate because I noticed the real music to it in the film .I even noticed Ewok Celebration was not the film version.

Always playing with semantics ;) Just think as if all bootlegs consisted on unnamed tracks. People can make their own cue names. In this case its not used because its stupid as we know how te cues are officially called and changing names now for this very thread could get confusing.

Again the 'Holy quartetto'* has spoken the only truth.

*The father, the son, the holy spirit and Joe. :rolleyes:

Update (renders previous statement unuseful): Redeption is possible

As far as the best piece of music I guess thats truly subjective.

Anyway, I'm not saying Dark side beckons is the best cue from ROTJ. Many people do. Its even one of Williams finnest compositions.

Where does it say I don't care?

You though the OST contained almost all of the Original material, while its the shorter SW OST and the longer SW score. You didnt paid attention, and possibly bacause the movie was worse than you expected.

You though the OST contained almost all of the Original material, while its the shorter SW OST and the longer SW score. You didnt paid attention, and possibly bacause the movie was worse than you expected.

You like pulling stuff out of your *** don't you?

Luke, I guarantee you that Mark, and myself listened to the ROTJ album alot. It wasn't like we had 40 different scores back then to choose from, we tried to savor each note, and even if we were dissapointed, we still listened and learned the music. Its pretty much a given that us old farts have heard and know John's older works far better than any of the new younger folks today. I personally went through two Star Wars albums, two ESB, two Towering Inferno, two Jaws, etc simply because I listened to them over and over and over. While never quite wearing them out, I used two so it wouldn't happen. Basically I have an mp3 player in my head and those albums are completely represented as originally presented.

I kinda agree with Mark and Joe.

It was annoying when a certain you you remembered from the film was not there, but you also cherished what you did have.

Of course some releases are better then others and TOD was just too short for me, particulary since I spend over a year looking for it and paid 150 Guilders for a second hand copy.

I bought most of my soundtracks before the films were released so I had ROTJ well before the film came out.

To me there was no point or issue with getting all bent out of shape because there was going to be missing music, which I knew was going to happen. I just enjoyed, and still do, listening to the music.

Plus I was 15 at the time and had other interests besides listening to soundtracks 24/7.

You like pulling stuff out of your *** don't you?

My last nitpick for you.

You were a teeneager or older when ROTJ aired, and you said you didnt liked it. I could swear you have stated this several times over the years. Now add that to this comment:

If you collected Soundtracks in those years, what was the reason of you thinking the rest of the score was in its majority rehashed material?

Luke in Marks defense I've always said ROTJ had alot of rehashed music from Star Wars.

I've always said I wasn't too impressed with the film ROTJ after I saw it. Never said anything about the music.

And to answer your second question, it was because I had seen other sequels recycle music.

We didn't have this vast network of film score websites or info being provided to us. All we knew was that Williams was scoring the film with the LSO.

Twice TIE fighter attack and Main - End titles. Thats about 15 minutes of a more than 2 hour score.

The rest is as any Sequel score orchestrations.

what about the imperial march statement when the emperor arrives? it is taken from the TESB imperial march (concert version/ end title statement)and is just pumped up!