Ubeda Film Music Conference.

Kevin

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mmm do you have to bring your own pen for the signing?

Not to the signing session, but it can be handy for autograph ambushes during the week.

Yep.

Yes, he misplaced his wallet, and then claimed some Spanish people stole it!.

;)

How can you be sure it wasn't another Dutch? For example, of course.

Yes, he misplaced his wallet, and then claimed some Spanish people stole it!.

:P

xenophobe! :lol:

mmm i'm bringing two or three spare booklets for the 'ambushes', but i dont think i'll have the guts to bother a famous character so they will surely return untouched...

Well just returned from a certain place in a 'marco incomparable' :P

In one word...

ROAR!

P7181702.jpg

Quote of the event: "John Williams is a master of technique"- Patrick Doyle

More as i have time to write...

PD: to anyone that thinks that the star trek theme is weak... well hearing it live is rather huge :wub:

Also, does anyone still have a screenshot from when this site turned into JWMGFan.com? Somebody print that and take it to Úbeda for Giacchino. :P

A friend did something similar to Zimmer and Howard at TDK signing in LA last year. He has a bar in his apartment, and his roommate and him set it up to be like marine/boat themed. It's called Hurricane Harry's and they have a photo of Forrest Gump on a boat signed by Tom Hanks. So they photoshopped Hans and James onto a boat and had them sign it. Zimmer's reaction to their request was, in thick German accent: "You have a bar... in your house?!" :lol:

I hope you didn't make an ass of yourself in front of Peio!

Well...if you consider it...i wasnt sure it was him so i shyly approached him (and looking up) and asked 'Could i ask you a question please?'

Peio was nice to say 'of course' but the thought i was going to interview him or make a survey :lol:

Thank goodness i didnt asked the three or four other people i saw the days before that i though could have been him.... :P how embarrased i would have been.

One of the most humorous things we have done is noticing the many look-alikes we have found there XD

Wait a minute...

Are you saying all them Spaniards look the same?

That's racist!

You should have said that in an Austrian accent :lol:

Hey, it was great to meet you, Manuel! We had a lot of fun in the weekend.

6336_100467920793_755860793_2292830_687055_n.jpg

Chris, I have no idea who may be coming next year. But there are a few interesting composers who have shown their interest in the festival (I can't give names, unfortunately).

they are dressing him as doc brown. :P

Any rumors about who may come to Ubeda next year?

I think i eavesdropped that Don Davis had just said that he would not be able to attend.

Enterprising young men?

Well, Giacchino called it Star Trek End Credits... so that's its real name...

Did you notice Giacchino did not use a batton?

Damn, didnt anyone recorded Roar!?

Enterprising young men?

Well, Giacchino called it Star Trek End Credits... so that's its real name...

Did you notice Giacchino did not use a batton?

Damn, didnt anyone recorded Roar!?

There might be some other recordings too, I didn't search enough. As for Star Trek, this video is Enterprising Young Men for sure. I don't know whether he played anything else. Giacchino should have known it better.

I almost never use a baton when I'm conducting a rehearsal of something, if even just for the mere fact that I feel I can say more with my hands. I do use it for performance though - it's pretty much expected of you! But ultimately, I find the use of a baton to be dependent on personal taste and what you feel "works" for you. Sorry, just an aside. haha

Luke is right, it's not 'Enterprising Young Men', but rather the final section of the end credits before Courage's theme appears again. It just sounds like/is an adaption of EYM.

July 16th 1m1 Main title and the Arrival to Ubeda

After a freezing long trip in bus, (thanks to the air conditioning – heck I would have used less time flying to New York… - I arrived at Úbeda.

I arrived at lunch time, so I missed the homage to Georges Delerue and a round table with young fledging Spanish composers.

My first conference was The Oeuvre of Wataru Hokoyama

This gifted young Japanese composer has made the score for the videogame Afrika and made additional music to the Resident evil 5 videogame.

He told that he ‘lied’ to Sony in order to convince them to make the afrika score with a 100 piece orchestra, and that he wanted the Hollywood studio symphony. (He said he had done big orchestral scores before and that he knew one contact in Hollywood (the musical or orchestra contractor of the studio symphony I think). The way he explained it was very funny.

Then he put us two tracks from afrika, its real good big orchestral music, and then he told us his work in resident evil 5. That was compose additional music, the original composer would send him a midi sample and then (since it was so bad) he reorchestrated it and changed a lot of things to transform it in a cue that could be in a Hollywood movie.

One of the public asked him that his score for afrika was very rare to find, and asked him if he could give us the pieces he had played. He said (looking if his Sony produces was not in sight) to find him on facebook :nod:.

The second conference was The Oeuvre of Claudio Simonetti.

He seeming like a nice person but that haunting rock music for horror films is not my cup of tea…if someone is interested I’ll try to remember what he said…

Then there was the ceremony of the Jerry Goldsmith awards for young composers. There were some good compositions there. When it finished they played some short films whose music had won the awards.

Since I didn’t know anyone, I just went to the hotel. Neither did I eat anything that day… because I didn’t know where to go (alone…) and there was not a single famous fast food in the city :music:

More in the way...

PS: As you see... i could not earn my life as a novelist...

After I make Drax ruler of Australia next May, there may be plans for a Hitch invasion if Universal will pay my first class ticket.

After I make Drax ruler of Australia next May, there may be plans for a Hitch invasion if Universal will pay my first class ticket.

John Williams is going to Ubeda next year! :rolleyes:

Another 17 minutes of various moments from the conference

I tried to spot some familiar faces, but except for some BSO Spirit regulars I didn't notice neither Manuel, nor Peio, nor anyone else

Another 17 minutes of various moments from the conference

I tried to spot some familiar faces, but except for some BSO Spirit regulars I didn't notice neither Manuel, nor Peio, nor anyone else

I can see myself in the Giacchino queue (you can see me behind some people, in the 1st places of the queue), as well as peio's back a little after. No faces though XD

July 17th 2m1 A new day, A new life.

The first conference was The Oeuvre of Joel McNeely. Damn, right now I don’t remember much about it…

He said that he didn’t think he was going to be chosen for the Young Indy chronicles, but when George made him the job interview it was a mere formality because George had made up his mind already. He said that the series was a learning ground for him. He told us than if you don’t know how to do something, look like you know it and secretly learn what you need.

He said that Radioland murders was a special project and that he wrote about 60 cues because the film has a lot of musical snippets. He composed also the commercials. I haven’t seen the film, but it seems this score is all ‘source music’. Frank Darabont wrote some of the commercials’ words.

In the table thee was also Robert Townson, he said that he choose McNeely for the re-recordings because he is a great conductor. He said that some of Varese CDs are released because he likes the music even if he knows that he is not going to much money. Composing Shadows of the Empire was Townson’s idea, he wanted to try to record a score for a book, and when he found about Shadows of the Empire he knew it was the one to do since thanks to the popularity of Star Wars this rare enterprise would be profitable.

McNeely also said ‘Don’t fileshare’

The came the Special 5th anniversary conference with Patrick Doyle and James Shearman (his orchestrator)

Mr Doyle seems to be a very nice person, and very funny. The conference was around orchestration and the scoring process. He said he now uses computers to write the music, its much faste than writing them and sometimes the tight schedules don’t let you do differently. Though, whe he feels it’s been to easy, he tries to write the cue with paper and pencil and usually it ends much better, because with computers there is the danger of overlayering.

In each conference there was a video at the beginning with music and scenes from the composer’s films. There was eragon there and he said he had forgotten he had made that movie. It also seems that there was one cue in that movie (he said ‘the dragon music’) that was very difficult and they struggled to wrote it. It could be the main theme or maybe the dragon attack from Goblet of fire?.

He said he gives the cuesheets to shearman to orchestrate, he gives notes, but they also talk each they to some feedback. Doyle writes about 3 minutes a day.

It was in this conference when he said that Williams was a master of technique.

There was one bizarre question from the public, one person asked if the broken marriage of Kenneth branngah and emma Thompson affected his work in film in some way. Doyle was amusingly puzzled, he joked that he had said emma to marry him but had been rejected for being so short. Then gave us and advice and said the best you can do when two friends argue is to leave them alone, for yours and theirs behalf. He said all of them are friends still.

Here I made two friends, so at last I was not alone ;)

Then came The Oeuvre of Christopher Young.

This man is friends with everyone, he is a very fiesta-driven person XD. He imitates people, Sean connery for example - he also said that it truck him that the guy has a big belly XD) . He worked with him on Entrapment. He (Connery) hates the bond scores because the blow in your face, so Young decided to sneak the cues in the movie (i mean they start softly) Definitely the most down to earth and approachable composer of all.

He talked about what happened in Spider-man 3. It seems Elfman has a big ego and told sony he wanted 3 million dollars to score the movie (big ego indeed, since isn’t Williams’ fee ‘just’ one million??) . Raimi wanted to work with young, so he wrote the score for the movie. In the beginning it was going to be Elfman who wrote the sand man and venom themes but I think they did not like the demos at all and Raimi told young to write the whole thing, writing new themes for MJ and aunt may, and harry… Then later in the process the producers felt the score had to have a connection with the other two movies and hired other composers to adapt pieces from elfman into the movie, and the mix is what we got.

He showed two pieces to us, the opening credits from raimi’s next horror movie and the end credits of some drama movie I cant remember….

Then came The Oeuvre of Antonio Meliveo.

I don’t know about this composer… he showed us a video of his life musical journey, with was about every decade the music that had impacted him. Guess whose name was the most repeated? :D

And the came the recital, whose highlights for me was seeing McNeely playing the flute and it seems that Doyle had never played the piano in front of an audience before.

Then we went to ‘The Miradores’ to eat those ‘cañas de chocolate’… and take a sip at a nearby bar. Doyle, Young, Wataru, Townson were there too.

Here's "Roar!", but I think it's incomplete...

By the way, has anyone noticed the theme is preety similar to Silvestri's "Judge Dreed"? This doesn't bother me at all, but I thought the inspiration for the theme was "Godzilla", as Giacchino said himself so...

yeah :rolleyes:

The ROAR! video is complete, it was a shortened arrangement.

July 18th

Well, this is the day, the best day of the festival: Michael Giacchino, Roque Baños and the concert. Memorable and unforgettable. I also met Peio, and it was great to meet at last someone from the forums, I hope in other years we can gather a lot more members.

3m1 UP/ROAR!

The 1st conference was The Oeuvre of Michael Giacchino, and we arrived in the 1st batch. When we entered I sat on the 1st seats, I think I was just behind Robert townson and Giacchino’s Assistant.

Well, Giacchino talked about working with JJ Abahams. He spends two days writing the score for one chapter of Lost. He says he wanted to score each episode to make them feel like movies and give personality that libraries do not give. He also said that he does not read the scripts, he watches the episode and then scores, so he is going to score the same emotion the audience is going to feel.

He told how ROAR! came to life. He learnt that JJ was doing this movie and he said to him that he could not wait to score the movie (a genre he loves). But JJ said that there was not going to be a score. I think it was Giacchino that said that there were still the end credits, and he composed the music he felt the film could have had.

He also talked about his relationship with Pixar, that John Lasseter was great. He said he score some shorts, (I think it was new shorts with mickey, goofy, Donald… done in the old fashion) and that he had search the vaults of Disney record to get inspiration to write the music as it had been in the old days.

Then came the audience questions. I was very nervous, I had made the ‘oath’ that I had to ask hima question and forget my fears… just when the interview was going to end I felt one of those adrenaline discharges that surge from your back and you can’t really move and you feel strong pulses…. But I got my bearings, and since I thought there was going to be and avalanche of questions, I sprang like a mouse trap and rised my hand. Soo… yes I have the great honor of having asked Giacchino the first question . It was not a great question to ask as first one...but well, I hope you think it was a good question…

Well I asked him that how he came with the idea of playing word jokes and making puns in his track titles. And well, guess what, it’s not Giacchino’s work. His response:

[Laughs] Er, the Tracktitles on the CDs are mostly due to my music editor, My music editor likes to play games and come up with names for the tracktitles, so it keeps him amused [Laughs]

And when it’s not funny or not good we all make fun of him, we all tell him ‘That’s awful, you can do better than that’ and smack him around [Laughs]

Other person asked him about UP digital download, and he said that Disney had gone that road and he had the dubious honor of being the first one.

He said he likes to make original scores for the videogames of movies that use the film music because he likes that the game sounds like the movie and does not like those game where score has nothing to do with the movie’s

He also recorded us (the audience) saying hello to JJ Abrahams with his phone. He did that several times in the festival, I spotted his assistant filming at the queue of the signing session the next day for example.

Segues into 3m2

I really enjoy every year hearing about all the Ubeda adventures here! More!

I am so soooo JEALOUS too. :| These videos are just awesome.

McNeely and Doyle rehearsing some of Doyle's Hamlet

And some of Much Ado About Nothing

McNeely's Tinker Bell suite

The Giacchino clips are also great. Wow.

Is the orchestra made up of university students, they all look fairly young?