14 members have voted

1. 1. What material do you prefer?

• Mithril
    • Kevlar

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If fantasy is defined as unrestrained imagination, which thereby would indicate that any fantastic materials don't actually exist, then obviously one would prefer the tangible material that technology provides since material from fantasy doesn't actually exist.

Of course, this all presupposes you're not talking about material in the ethereal sense - in which case, one would always prefer the material from fantasy as it usually fulfills their desires.

Wait, what?

What material do you like best? Just vote.

Dude, you totally didn't have the poll initially!

Though my answer still stands.

Sorry it wasn't working first time I posted it.

Should I be glad that I don't know what "mithril" is?

Mithril was the most valuable material mined by Dwarves. It was in abundance in the mines at Moria, which became the largest and richest of all Dwarven realms before its fall. It was coveted by all for both its enchanting beauty as well as its toughness as battle armor. A coat of mythril rings was as valuable as the entire Shire, as hard as dragon scales, and could make any wearer appear kingly- even divine.

...Stop looking at me like that.

Should I be glad that I don't know what "mithril" is?

Mithril was the most valuable material mined by Dwarves. It was in abundance in the mines at Moria, which became the largest and richest of all Dwarven realms before its fall. It was coveted by all for both its enchanting beauty as well as its toughness as battle armor. A coat of mythril rings was as valuable as the entire Shire, as hard as dragon scales, and could make any wearer appear kingly- even divine.

...Stop looking at me like that.

In other words, yes, I should be glad. :D

Mail did, it's the same thing.

No, it isn't.

Just watch any of Jackson's TLOTR films. All the races have chain mail armor: humans, elves, dwarves, and orcs alike. If mithril were the same as mail, nobody would have ever died from shots to the abdomen. Only head shots, decapitations, blunt force trauma, explosion, magic, and massive bleeding from loss of limbs would have resulted in casualties. The only person in the movies who survived any kind of shot to the chest was Frodo. Why? Mithril. Mithril trumps iron chain mail.

I said the films because they more clearly (and noisily) show chain mail armor than any of the books describe.

Mail did, it's the same thing.

No, it isn't.

Just watch any of Jackson's TLOTR films. All the races have chain mail armor: humans, elves, dwarves, and orcs alike. If mithril were the same as mail, nobody would have ever died from shots to the abdomen. Only head shots, decapitations, blunt force trauma, explosion, magic, and massive bleeding from loss of limbs would have resulted in casualties. The only person in the movies who survived any kind of shot to the chest was Frodo. Why? Mithril. Mithril trumps iron chain mail.

I said the films because they more clearly (and noisily) show chain mail armor than any of the books describe.

Mithril is effing chain mail! And what shots are you talking about? There were no guns!!

Calm down, sparky. Spears, crossbows, and simple bows and arrows can all be aimed precisely at a humanoid head to cause the same kind of "head shot" you'd experience from a sniper rifle. It's a lot easier and more efficient for them to aim at their adversaries' torsos because they were protected by steel, not impenetrable mithril.

Mithril is used to make chain mail, but most Middle Earth chain mails are made of steel, not mithril.

Then don't declare that some LOTR crap is comparable to real life technology unless you know what you're talking about.

I wrote that before you never minded, but it stands. For the record, I did vote for kevlar.

Mithril is effing chain mail!

Mithril is a metal. It's used (among other things) to make chain mail, but the result is stronger and lighter than chain mail made from regular metals.

Then I'll answer. Yes, John is right.

Per the Encylcopedia of Arda:

The symbol of High Kingship worn by Elendil and Isildur was the Elendilmir, a diamond bound to the brow by a mithril fillet, and Nenya, one of the Three Rings of the Elves, was also made of the metal, again bearing a diamond. Greatest of all, according to legend, was the ship of Eärendil in which he sailed into the sky, making the gleam of truesilver visible to the world as the Evening and Morning Star.

And Nenya was called the Ring of Water and the Ring of Adamant; it was borne by Galadriel in Lórien, and used to maintain that land.

I've had this series of The Hobbit and TLOTR since before the movies came out. It's nice not having the movie tie-in set. FOTR and Hobbit were the last printings before the movies, and TTT and ROTK are really old printings

41PZ4RKC00L._SL500_.jpg

Though I do have the movie tie-in as hardback, just so I could have the trilogy in one tome, but it's easy to disregard the dust jacket.

I've still got the versions with Alan Lee covers, I wouldn't have it any other way.

I have that nice big fat box thing with the Alan Lee paintings. The one they used while making the movies (and even as a basis for the DVD menus). It's too big to read comfortably though, and I like those black editions (I have the Sil and Unfinished Tales in those versions.

Incidentally, I'm missing one of my Hobbits.

I have these, although I bought them seperately, so I don't have the box.

LOTRbooks.jpg

I've got The Hobbit and The Silmarillion in the same edition. Never really got through The Silmarillion though. :thumbup:

I did buy FotR and TTT quite a bit earlier than RotK and The Hobbit. For some reason, the later purchases have the title in white, whereas the other two have it in reflective silver. Aesthetics my arse!

Never really got through The Silmarillion though. :rolleyes:

It is tough the first time, but it's also the most rewarding. I enjoy it just as much as LotR, maybe more.

John- who'll post his covers later

Wow, what a trend I started.

I only got into the books soon after starting college, in 1999 or 2000, back when the movie was announced but long before it came out. So I did have time to buy all five books and read them before the first movie premiered. in December 2001.

I say five books because mom bought The Sil for me for the heck of it. I thought I could start with it, but I was quickly overwhelmed by the first chapter and how out-there it was. After I read the other books and saw the movies, I came back to read The Sil, and I agree that it is easily a grander experience than reading the other books. When I complete my current reading saga, I'd like to re-read it again, either before or after Children of Hurin, which I know will be a quick read, and then go through the LOTR for only my second read through.

I have these ones.

51KCEYAWG5L._SS500_.jpg

If that is the 40-odd quid hardback edition, then I have it too.

Actually, I've had numerous editions of LotR, over the years, but that one is surely the definitive release.

When I complete my current reading saga, I'd like to re-read it again, either before or after Children of Hurin, which I know will be a quick read, and then go through the LOTR for only my second read through.

I recommend reading Hurin first, because most (about 99%, at least that's what it feels like) of it is just material already published in Sil and Unfinished Tales - so it can be a rather dry read when you're already familiar with those.