What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Strange, it's the most successful TV show in the world. Maybe it became too big to live?

I started Homeland, the season after Brody. The main characters are way too caring and concerned about he moral justice of their actions. They are overplaying the human card. Other than that, it's business as usual, I guess.

Alex

Homeland season four tricks you into thinking they are back in their glory days, then continually drops the ball and has a lame ending.

6 seasons is pretty damn fine for a British prime time TV series.

But only 6 seasons is peanuts compared to the worldwide hunger for the series.

I'm sure there'll be an American remake to satisfy that hunger.

Downtown Abbey, or something like that.

That's what I always thought it was until I heard pledge period say Downton. One W. What??? Oh.

Watched the Waltons tonight. Jim Bob thinks he's adopted but learns a harder truth. Great episode.

And of course Jerry's magnificent opening theme.

Brooklyn 99 1x19 Sabotage

Good to see Chris Parnell back as Sofia's former coke-head boss. Some pretty funny scenes between him and Jake. The B plot about Holt and Terry not going to Gina's dance show wasn't that compelling; The C plot with Hitchcock and Scully doing actual detective work was much better. Some funny reactions from Boyle during those bits.

Girls 4x09 Daddy Issues

Someone finally explains to Hannah what boundaries are. Will it sink in? I doubt it. Elijah had a few funny moments with Hannah's dad. Jessa randomly is already dating Ace, and then the whole love quadrangle of like, an episode or two comes to an end.... I didn't think Mimi Rose and Adam would last, and Jessa is so underwritten I knew the writers weren't planning on advancing her storyline at all. I just hope this isn't a setup for Hannah and Adam getting back together. Marnie announces her engagement at her ex's campaign win celebration party. It's like the writers can't decide week to week if Hannah or Marnie is the more delusional self centered ego maniac.

The Fall 2x02 One Named Peter

So Rose isn't murdered, just abducted. The scene where Spector and her are at a red light right next to a cop car is ridiculous. She could have cried for help right there and been out of this mess! Bah! It was good that Stella releases its all her fault that Rose got kidnapped, because they published the drawing of how he would have looked 9 years ago. Woops. Spector shows up in the hospital to be the bereavement councilor for Annie... WTF? Why would he do that? So weird. The babysitter crushing on Paul hard is just creepy. She has to release he's the strangler at this point (especially after he strangles her a bit in bed)... so why is she still so interested? And finally the clues all come together for Stellas as they get a print of Spector's off the scissors from the river. This was kind of surprising, I almost expected she wouldn't figure it out until the end of the season, the way the show has been paced so far. Hopefully this is a sign the pace is starting to pick up!

Parks and Recreation 7x12-13 One Last Ride (Extended Producer's Cut)

A superior version of the final episode. We get a flashforwards for Jamm and Shauna (in which she marries Paul Ruddy's Bobby Newport character), and lots of other little moments added throughout: More April and Andy discussing having a baby, an odd scene between Andy and Fonzie, more Jean Ralphio and Mona Lisa, more of a setup for Tom writing his book (with some help from Ron), a little more with Ron's brothers, a little more with Ron and Ben at the reunion, and a funny scene with April and Tom. Good stuff.

Community 6x02 Lawnmower Maintenance and Postnatal Care

Meh. As always, Community follows up a good episode with a bad one. Dean in the VR world was meh - and certainly not strong enough to make a A plot out of it, Brita moving in with Annie and Abed was meh. The whole thing where Brita's parents have been paying for everything for years and everyone else in the group knew was pretty silly. The running gag of Chang's reaction to a cat scratch felt like something better left in the writer's room to be replaced by a better one. The Portugese Gremlins bit at the end reminded me of Grindhouse.

The Fall 2x03 It's Always Darkest

Wow! It took 8 episodes, but finally The Fall actually got damn good! The ending of this episode finally made me really want to see the next one for the first yet!

The episode starts with a dream sequence Stella has, that was quite effective. The team is beginning to close in on Spector, with his wife admitting she didn't know where he was the night of one of the murders and then Stella almost coming face to face with him as he drives by a spot where they have found Rose's phone case. (Speaking Rose, is she dead or alive? Why don't we the viewer know? The show tends to show us everything else happening). Meanhile, Spector is turning the babysitter into a creepy little cronie (boy, she sure is suggestive!). But the highlight was an mentioned the end. You get Stella meeting with Dr Reed and not only making out to get a guy hitting on Reed to go away, but then coming close to actually going to up to her room and banging. She goes in alone though, at least she thinks she is - Spector is in there, having stolen a room key from the kitchen. It isn't clear if he was planning on killing her or not, because when there's a knock and we expect it to be Dr. Reed, it's actually Burns. They have a bit of a misunderstanding, and Paul escapes - but not before photographing Stella's dream journal, writing a note to her, and changing her desktop background. Now she knows that he knows that they know that he's their suspect. And he had insight into her deepest thoughts. Dayum! Thanks for finally getting good, The Fall! 3 episodes to go now, they better hold up!

Community 6x03 Basic Crisis Room Decorum

OK that opening bit with Annie, Craig, and "Jeff" texting was really funny! The main plot about Greendale vs College and their attack ad was much stronger than last week's plot. The new character played by Keith David (that showed up last week as the creator of the VR game) is a pretty good addition to the cast. The random aside for Brita's music video was quite odd. Overall though I am finding her character less annoying this year than in the past somehow. Too bad they continued the fake Jeff bit throughout the show, it didn't pay off (the olives thing was kinda weird, and the final scene feel flat). That was better as just a cold open joke.

Broadchurch series 2 episode one

Series 1 was a riveting, but ultimately slightly underwhelming murder mystery that did do one thing incredibly well. Instead of just focusing on the investigation the show really spent a lot of time dealing with the effects of the murder of a young boy on a small seaside community. That combined with an excellent cast made it a worthwhile show despite the fact that it sagged a bit in the middle. (not to mention that I saw the conclusion coming)

Series 2 starts out by dropping a bombshell. After confessing to murdering Danny in the last episode of season 1, Joe changes pleads not guilty, which will result in a full murder trail, rather then the quick resolution that a guilty verdict would bring.

We catch up with the main players from S1. The Lattimers, expecting their child pretty soon, who will now have to look for a public defender to ensure that the murderer of their child will not go unpunished. Joe himself also lawyers up in what promises to be a interesting legal battle.

Daviud Tennant returns as DI Alec Hardy, the glum Scott with a few secrets in his past. One of them in the form of Claire, played by new addition (and always stunning) Eve Myles.

Olivia Coleman also returns as Ellie, dealing with the fallout the previous season's conclusion.

Meanwhile a new case lurks as Hardy's previous case comes back to stare him down on a grassy knoll....

I tried watching the American remake of Broadchurch last year and could never really get into not. Sure Tennant was fine, with a fine American accent, and Anna Gunn was a worthy replacement to Colman. But everyone else just wasnt as good as this original cast, especially the Lattimers.

I hope this doesnt loose it's hook like it kinda did in series one, because episode one really is edge on your seat viewing.

It's a very fun show

Unfortunately Laura Prepon had other commitments and isn't in season 2 that much, but she'll be regular in season 3 again. She's definitely one of the best characters.

Girls 4x10 Home Birth
Gross, I didn't need to see Adam's sister naked in a tub about to give birth. Nor Jessa sticking her face in the tub water. Gross. So Shosh is moving to Japan, I guess? Jessa wants to by a therapist? Marnie gets stood up by Desi. I almost felt bad for her.... Ray's laying into Desi was great and insightful. And Adama and Mimi Rose are split, and Adam wants to get back with Hannah, she rejects him, and 6 months later is happy with her fellow substitute teacher guy. Hopefully next season won't feature Adam or Desi at all... Can I dare to hope?

Girls Season 4 overview
Meh. Some funny moments, but really boring storylines.

Just finished season 5 of The Walking Dead and it was one of the best. The writing, performances and direction all seem to be settling quite nicely into their newfound level of sophistication.

The Fall 2x04 Strangler

It's getting to be pretty weird that Spector just walks around freely despite the police knowing he's a serial killer. I guess you have to assume they want to be able to follow to to where he has Rose... but they don't seem to be very good at keeping their eye on him! It made more sense to me to just capture him when he showed up in the hostpital... but I guess the plan to intall cameras in his house had merits as well. Man, that was funny when they screwed up and caved in the ceiling over his bed! I can't imagine he'll think it was a pure water tank leak for long. Interesting idea to use the dead body from the suicide to see if it brings anything out from Spector. Glad Stella thought to tell Rose's husband first! It's still annoying that we don't know if she's alive or dead. Spector continues to turn the babysitter into his own little minion, and the cops visit that patient of Spector's that lost the child. Dunno why they come back to that storyline.

4 or so episodes into American Horror Story S3 (Coven) and, guess what, I like it too. A nice collection of female powerhouses (Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates and Angela Basset) with a no-holds-barred licence to act, a really amazing house (if you can call it that!) for a main setting, witches vs voodoo bitches, crazy camera angles and lenses, .... It's about witchcraft, but believe me, it's everything the series Charmed is not.

american_horror_story_coven_cast_a_l_zps

Alex

I want to watch that show too. It's on US netflix right?

Until that day I have one more season of Breaking Bad to go. I don't hurry through the show, I want to watch one at a time, at a pace of 1 every 2 days give or take.

Boy it's a million times better than anything I could've hoped for, unless they seriously screw it up in the final season, which would be an impossible feat.

Those final 3 episodes of season 4 were awesomelyfuckingmindblowing. BB = Breathtakingly brilliant

I have a coworker who is currently watching Breaking Bad for the first time at home with his wife. I check in with him every update to hear about the latest episodes they watched. They also just finished season 4 and were blown away by the final eps of that season.

It's been funny observing their viewing from the outside. It took them a long time to get really into it - after they started, there was a long time when they didn't pick it up again, and then they'd go days between episodes. He was way more into it than his wife, having to convince her to watch it sometimes. And she'd be on her phone fiddling around during some of the earlier episodes. But as the seasons went on and the tension mounted, they both got more and more hooked and now they watch one or two every night!

Essentially mirrors my appreciation of the series - I like the whole thing, but I feel each season was better than the last, and the final 3 episodes of the whole show are just about the best episodes of television ever.

Saturday Night Live 40x16 Dwayne Johnson / George Ezra

Wow, easily the best episode of the season. The Rock was great throughout, from the opening "The Rock Obama" sketch through the funny wrestling sketch, the Indiana Jones sketch, and the really funny restaurant sketch where both Johnson and McKinnon shined. Even Weekend Update was good, as Jost and Che had probably their least awkward performances yet, and the recurring guests were good too (Basically anything Kate McKinnon does on this show is good).

Modern Family 6x18 Spring Break

Meh. I think its starting to become clear that Modern Family is past its prime. Maybe that was already clear, but the show will still guaranteed to have at least one laugh out loud moment per episode, but this might be the first one ever that didn't have one for me. The best storyline was the Phil / Luke one. The Alex storyline about not getting into Harvard was kinda weird. Whatever happened to her wanting to go to that local California college because of that boy she met there? Cam in the play was the worst storyline. Mitch and Jay going to the camp to get Lilly was barely even a story.

I'm still enjoying MF, watching season 5 now. Granted, the formula is becoming a little transparent, but I still love to see these characters interact.

I have a coworker who is currently watching Breaking Bad for the first time at home with his wife. I check in with him every update to hear about the latest episodes they watched. They also just finished season 4 and were blown away by the final eps of that season.

It's been funny observing their viewing from the outside. It took them a long time to get really into it - after they started, there was a long time when they didn't pick it up again, and then they'd go days between episodes. He was way more into it than his wife, having to convince her to watch it sometimes. And she'd be on her phone fiddling around during some of the earlier episodes. But as the seasons went on and the tension mounted, they both got more and more hooked and now they watch one or two every night!

Essentially mirrors my appreciation of the series - I like the whole thing, but I feel each season was better than the last, and the final 3 episodes of the whole show are just about the best episodes of television ever.

Gustavo Fring is such a tremendous written character, I could never tell what he would do 1 minute before he did what he did, superbly played as well. For the guy staying basically emotionless for 95 % of the screen time, Giancarlo Esposito did a remarkable job that there were times I felt sympathetic toward him. Like how it's terribly unfortunate he crossed paths with WW, you know what I mean? And vice versa for Walter and Jesse. What BB does so well is keep that line between the good and bad guys so vague. You can't outright hate the bad guys, and you can't outright love the good guys. Looking forward to the end, but I will miss not having more episodes when it's done. But there's always Better Call Saul, which I will watch in the future. Vince Gilligan = genius.

Gustavo Fring is such a tremendous written character, I could never tell what he would do 1 minute before he did what he did, superbly played as well. For the guy staying basically emotionless for 95 % of the screen time, Giancarlo Esposito did a remarkable job that there were times I felt sympathetic toward him. Like how it's terribly unfortunate he crossed paths with WW, you know what I mean? And vice versa for Walter and Jesse. What BB does so well is keep that line between the good and bad guys so vague. You can't outright hate the bad guys, and you can't outright love the good guys. Looking forward to the end, but I will miss not having more episodes when it's done. But there's always Better Call Saul, which I will watch in the future. Vince Gilligan = genius.

I am in complete and total 100% agreement with everything you say here!

Fring was a brilliant character and Esposito was brilliant in the role. The whole show is really a sequence of unfortunate events for a lot of characters, many brought on by the decisions one character makes of course.

Agree about the grey area all the characters have.

Better Call Saul is great so far! Really impressed by that show because I was not expecting much from it. It's definitely best watched only after all of BB is over.

I've been watching Doctor Who, the modern version, for a month now. Prior to that I'd only seen Tennant's early werewolf episode a couple of years ago, which I didn't understand given that I had no context, and therefore didn't like (I think I once also saw bits and pieces of one episode form the classic series, but I have no memory of that at all). So I'd been putting it off for a long time, but my cousin kept nagging me, and recently a friend was shocked that I'd never seen it.

So now I'm up to season three and it's fantastic! Some great music, too. I've ordered the first few seasons on CD.

Gracepoint (episodes 6 to 10)

Started this last year originally. An American remake of the very successful ITV series Broadchurch. But stopped watching after episode 5. Decided to finish it today.

It's main issue is that this is a very close American remake of a English show that was made a year before that, and was made by many of the same people. Both series not on;ly share lead actor David Tennant, but also many of the writers, directors and producers.

If there is ever any point to a remake for then it should have a different feel to it even if its the same story, and for the most part this really doesnt. It feels exactly what it is. An American version of a English show. And for the most part it's an inferior version.

Secondly I really dont see why this needed to be remade, since the series really isnt all that different. Fox could have aired Broadchurch instead. I didnt find anything in either version that justified it being made twice in the same language. If you have seen Broadchurch then Gracepoint is largely pointless. And if I were to recommend either of the series to anyone it would be the original.

Having said that, while Gracepoint is essentially pointless it is actually rather well made if you try to judge it on its own merits. Well shot, generally well acted and it's simply an interesting and gripping murder mystery in a small town.

At only ten episodes long it's certainly worthwhile viewing, if you havent already seen the ITV version.

David Tennant plays the lead as Elliot Carver. And he's very good with a rather excellent American accent. He looks identical to the English character he plays, possibly because he actually shot Gracepoint at the same period as he worked on series two of Broadchurch. So it makes for an interesting comparison of one actor playing the same role twice in different productions. His ITV version (Alec Hardy) is a completely anti-social, miserable Scottish bastard who's verbal sparring with his partner Ellie Miller, played by Olivia Coleman are some of the series highlights.) His Elliot Carver is also a bit of a prick, but he seems kinder, slightly more sociable. That might be because the change in accent (nothing says "fuck off" better then a dour Scottish accent) but it's also in part because of Ellie Miller being played by Anna Gunn in Gracepoint.,

Colman's version is more chatty, personable with a lovely Devon accent. Anna Gunn's Miller is more reserved, statuesque. Both are excellent in the role, though overall Colman makes the most impression.

The rest of the cast is uniformly solid. With the exception of Michael Peña, who plays the father of the murdered boy, Danny. In the UK version, this role, played by Andrew Buchan is outstanding. We see the character having to deal with the death of his son, his failure as a father, husband in a very emotional mixture of anguish, grief and guilt. Peña doesnt come close to bringing any of that. And gives the rest of his cast a bit less to work with.

Of this American cast Nick Nolte stands out the most as a crusty old seadog accused of being a child molester.

Gracepoint is 10 episodes long while Broadchurch was 8. Apparently it was originally written as 10, but ITV would only finance 8, therefore two were dropped. Gracepoint has in essence the full version. But it doesnt really make a whole lot of difference. Some dropped leads from the investigation are addressed, and there is a long part where another boy goes missing. But overall it didnt add much.

Fox announced that Gracepoint would have a different ending to Broadchurch, which was one of the reasons for me to watch it, but also caused concern. Since any other ending would not really make sense unless the entire series was rewritten to address that.

For the very longest time it didnt seem that it was, everything happened exactly like it was shown in the ITV version. Up until the very last part of the final episode.

In Broadchurch it turns out Ellie's husband Joe Miller was the killer, having developed an unhealthy attraction to 12 year old Danny, who rebuffed him. After which Joe accidentally killed him in anger. In Gracepoint this is repeated verbatum. Except Ellie and Joe's oldest son walks in on them, and accidentally kills Danny. Resulting in Joe ultimately taking the blame and covering up his sons involvement.

This change is in essence completely arbitrary. But it does give Anna Gunn a different ending to work with. Where she can actually do something Colman didnt do and she does that very well. Going from a police officer looking for a killer to a mother trying to protect her son. Sadly this change is so late in the game that it doesnt make Gracepoint different enough. And since the ratings were low we will never get a follow up that would have addressed this. The changed ending would have meant that they could not have gone the same route as series 2 of Broadchurch.

So in essence we have a show thats well made, but never as well made as it's older brother. Which was far from perfect but always managed to keep the viewer on it's toes at the right moment.

Also, Broadchurch has a very effective score by Icelandic musician Ólafur Arnalds. Very minimalist but persistent in nature. I have no idea who scored Gracepoint. Because the music made no impression on me what so ever.

I can recommend it is English and Scottish dialects confuse you and you absolutely hate subtitles. It's well made and well worth the watch. But I'd reccomend Broadchurch over t any day.

The Mindy Project Season 3

Unlike New Girl which lost a ton of steam after finally getting Jess and Nick together only to break them up, Mindy managed to make the Mindy/Danny relationship completely work, and work all season long. It was disappointing that the California storyline ended so quickly, and then the way that transformed into her opening a NYC fertility clinic was poorly handled at the end of the season. But the pregnancy storyline was fine as was all the Mindy/Danny relationship moments. Julie Stiles was sadly completely underused as a new love interest for Morgan, but the new doctor brought in was pretty funny. I don't really understand why much was made about Adam Pally leaving the show, since after his "farewell" episode, he continued to be on the show till the very end. I'm half expecting him to just be back on the show next season anyway. It's a shame the writers still have no clue what to do with Dr. Reed... after 3 seasons, shouldn't he be a much more developed and interesting character than he is? I also don't like that Mindy's blonde friend from season 1 has been completely written out. Shouldn't she be there, or at least be mentioned, for all the big moments Mindy went through this year?

So now I'm up to season three and it's fantastic! Some great music, too. I've ordered the first few seasons on CD.

Series one (rather then season one, since it's an English TV show) had a score largely made up of samples and synth compositions, which really stand out badly and make the music feel cheap. Starting from Series two they had acces to an actual orchestra and things picked up. I do think that the music really started to come into it's own in series 3. With The Doctor Forever as a very important theme.

The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt 1x01 Kimmy Goes Outside!

The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt 1x02 Kimmy Gets a Job!

The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt 1x03 Kimmy Goes on a Date!

We started watching this new show on Netflix. It's great! It's created by Tina Fey, and is very much the spiritual successor to 30 Rock. Has a very similar pacing and sense of humor. Like 30 Rock it also features some rapid fire jokes you might not pick up on the first time, as well as flashbacks that act as punchlines to jokes.

Ellie Kemper (the new secretary from the final seasons of The Office US) stars as Kimmy, who was held in an underground bunker for 15 years by a "Reverend" (Jon Hamm) who convinvced her and 3 other women that doomsday had arrived outside and is now adjusting to live in modern New York City. Jena Malone from 30 Rock also stars as a rich and stuck up housewife that Kimmy begins working as a nanny. The only character I don't really care for is Kimmy's roommate played by Tituss Burgess. I could completely give or take his character, and I don't think the show needs him.

Good stuff!

Series one (rather then season one, since it's an English TV show) had a score largely made up of samples and synth compositions, which really stand out badly and make the music feel cheap. Starting from Series two they had acces to an actual orchestra and things picked up. I do think that the music really started to come into it's own in series 3. With The Doctor Forever as a very important theme.

As far as I remember, series one had its moments (given the budget). But I was very surprised by the music in series two. Bold, often thematic (depending on the episodes script), always rhythmically engaging and often effortlessly tongue in cheek.