What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Bush is right, anyway. And there were some great long-running series with a similar ambigious ending back then, think of 'The Shield' (Vic's fate is ironic but also cruel and deely cynic regarding the institutions the series portrays).

10 hours ago, publicist said:

I didn't even know it was controversial. It was a thoughtful final curtain and pretty much summed up Tony's life.

Exactly! I suppose those so-called 'fans' wanted a big shoot-out finale a la Scarface

Game Of Thrones S5 E1: The opening scene with young Cersei immediately pulls you in. Now I'm constantly paying attention to Carice Van Houten's English accent (I can't help myself, I always do that). Khaleesi visiting her dragons (how they have changed) was kind of scary. I liked the ending where Jon Snow humanized the situation. All in all, GOT is Fantasy that I can dig.

YoungCerseiampMelara_zpsuahpzdyd.jpg

Alex

I enjoyed the opening as well and thought it was conceived well. But a lot of people here weren't fans.

So the show was created for NBC but they never aired it, right?  They just sold it to Netflix almost right away?  Did they go back and make it more adult, or is it still relatively Network-ish?

Trailer had some funny moments.  Might check it out after I watch the other 6 shows I have lined up.

Yes Tina Fey developed it for NBC as her followup to 30 Rock but they passed on it at some point (after filming a few episodes IIRC), and Netflix picked it up.

A few parts might be SLIGHTLY more risque than you could do on network TV, but for the most part its network safe.  Luckily the episodes aren't locked at 22 minutes either, they run whatever is appropriate (always between 22-29 minutes I think)

I've been watching Better Call Saul.  Great acting by Odenkirk and McKean especially.  Things were humming along pretty good, some stellar moments scattered here and there in each episode, but then I just caught the sixth episode Five-O, and wow, what a game-changer for this series.  I can't begin to praise this one enough.  Banks was a marvel in this.

Probably going to watch episode 2 of The Leftovers tonight, but before I do, do those who are up to date with it reckon it keeps itself on the straight and narrow or is there a bullshit quota beginning to surface? I'm just conscious of the Lindelof factor. So is the show keeping its nose clean or what? Because I'd rather cut my losses now. 

I've tried your own BBC's 'Night Manager' but i'm afraid it doesn't really rule (apart from the slick-but-hollow excitement these world-spanning thrillers generate, see also 'Homeland').

16 minutes ago, Quintus said:

There's an Icelandic crime thriller I've got my eye on. Tempted to just start that instead. 

Marcy just finished that (its called Fortitude) and she said it was amazing.  It's right up her alley; She primarily watches those kind of shows (Whitechapel is one of her faves)

I believe Fortitude is an English production set in Iceland with English dialogue. Trapped is a solely Icelandic language production (with a small amount of English dialogue) and it has been aired on BBC 4. I just watched the first episode and it was excellent.

Nice and bleak, just how I like it.   

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/feb/15/last-nights-tv-trapped-review

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Probably going to watch episode 2 of The Leftovers tonight, but before I do, do those who are up to date with it reckon it keeps itself on the straight and narrow or is there a bullshit quota beginning to surface? I'm just conscious of the Lindelof factor. So is the show keeping its nose clean or what? Because I'd rather cut my losses now. 

I say stick through it. You would be missing out on some very fine episodes if you did. Season 2 is good too, but has more of the "Lindelof factor" in it, which is what Alex was somewhat disappointed by. But depending on how you see it, the existentialist themes brought up in the first season can resonate very well.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

I believe Fortitude is an English production set in Iceland with English dialogue. Trapped is a solely Icelandic language production (with a small amount of English dialogue) and it has been aired on BBC 4. I just watched the first episode and it was excellent.

Nice and bleak, just how I like it.   

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/feb/15/last-nights-tv-trapped-review

Ok we're talking about different shows then, sorry.

8 hours ago, KK. said:

I say stick through it. You would be missing out on some very fine episodes if you did. Season 2 is good too, but has more of the "Lindelof factor" in it, which is what Alex was somewhat disappointed by. But depending on how you see it, the existentialist themes brought up in the first season can resonate very well.

I'm not sure what is meant with " a BS quota" but if someone wants answers and logic then The Leftovers is not for him or her. Be sure to make that clear to everyone, KK.

Also, the first priest episode is episode 3 or 4, right? 

Alex

Oh yeah, The Leftovers is not a show you go to for answers. But it asks some rather poignant questions, if you're willing to hear them.

And the priest episode is episode 3 I believe, while Norah's episode is episode 6.

Alex probably can't see this reply but no, that's not what I mean when I talk about my coined "bullshit factor", specifically in TV shows. 

Steef knows. 

Incidentally, I modified my terminology slightly there (using 'quota' instead because I realised I would have to use the word 'factor' a second time when mentioning Lindelof, which is something which should be avoided were possible. BS and Lindelof do go hand-in-hand though, and they're always going to be a factor for me when weighing up whether to continue or not.

I tried one episode of 'Leftovers' and felt that unpleasant itch often caused by grinding overmachinations of those 'concept' shows (what if a man turns green when angry and destroys stuff? imagine the possibilities!!) - which i also felt, if slightly less so, at the recent King series about time travel/Kennedy assassination. This one i will give a second chance, though i 

14 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Is it the feeling that it looks like it's all leading somewhere, only to have sudden "dramatic" plot twist? Leaving you with the feeling you've just been wanked off, without the person bothering to finish it?

bull·shit factor

(bo͝ol′shĭt′ fac-tor) Vulgar Slang

n.

1. Something worthless, deceptive, or insincere.
2. Eye rollingly unbelievable occurrences 
3. To be lead down the garden path 
4. A waste of time constructed for the purposes of padding. See: LOST 

It feels like that at first, but you'd be surprised at how little of that first season is about the "supernatural" premise. It doesn't give you answers to that question, nor does it even make an effort to tease at it. Instead, it asks you to look at the damage its left behind. I mean yes, you have your occasional twists, but you leave the season thinking very little about them.

It's a show about broken people and its not a very optimistic outlook either. I think that's what brought the low viewer ratings the first season. 

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Is it the feeling that it looks like it's all leading somewhere, only to have sudden "dramatic" plot twist? Leaving you with the feeling you've just been wanked off, without the person bothering to finish it?

You're talking about Lost! I did feel that creating more and more mystery and plot twists is more or less what they start doing in S2. The human aspect, which prevails in S1, gets suppressed by it. Due to disappointing ratings, the future of the series was a bit uncertain, so I think the money men asked for more 'gravy'.

Alex

Maybe not. But it does it with a voice of its own, I admire it for that.

No one is saying this is the next Breaking Bad or The Wire. But it's interesting television. I guess you'll just have to watch it yourself to see how you feel about it.

This board's absolutely horrible quote editing in mobile view screwed me over for a few moments just then when I quoted Steef but I've fixed it. Had to go into Source mode again. 

11 minutes ago, Quintus said:

bull·shit factor

(bo͝ol′shĭt′ fac-tor) Vulgar Slang

n.

1. Something worthless, deceptive, or insincere.
2. To be lead down the garden path 
3. A waste of time constructed for the purposes of padding. See: LOST 

It's my least favorite aspect of modern TV, the sudden dramatic "game changer" that literally comes out of nowhere, with no regard to the rhytm and direction the story was heading. 

Didn't TV outgrow Aaron Spelling?

3 minutes ago, KK. said:

Yeah. I tried to quote your quote of Steef's post, and it was abysmal.

I feel honored!

13 minutes ago, publicist said:

So more concerned looking americans with dour faces all the time? Yes, that's what the world needs now...

The emphasis on a doomy atmosphere is a tad too strong, I agree, but I managed to look through it somehow. Come to think of it, the priest is the most positive person in the whole show. He should get a solo series like Saul Goodman.

Alex

The X-Files (season 2)

Starts out a bit ackward with Scully beinf reduced to a less active role (Gillian Anderson was pregant) but soon pics up and comes into it's own. Skinner becomes an important character in this season, and Krycek an interesting new addition (who's revealed far too soon sadly) also in place of the rather debonair Deep Throath there is the new informant called X, who seems far more paranoid and dangerous. (there's a great scene where he and Skinner go head to head).

As usual a mixture of Monster Of The Week episodes and Mythology ones. The MOTW are mostly strong. usually ending on some unresolved note that either feels nlike a cop out or is entirely satisfactory. The Mythology stories in this season are very good. Riveting and not yet as murky and intelligible as I remember they would become some years later. Though they always seem to end with Mulder and Scully more or less back to square one.

There seem to be a few too many instances of "Scully in danger" syndrome, where Mulder has to heroically save the day. Also usually Scully isnt there when something amazingly paranormal or unnatural happens. This is of course to stretch Scully's status as the sceptic as long as possible. But at times it becomes rather obvious.

And as usual both Mulder and Scully discuss top secret stuff on their cell phones, without any mention of encryption etc...

But most shows have those kind of things, the issues you have to ignore for the show to make any sense (like the universal translator on Star Trek)

Season two is really good. with some interesting new people both in front and behind the camera. Frank Spotnitz joined the show as a writer/producer and Vince Gilligan wrote his first episode.

Seeing this in HD on Netflix is something of a revelation. Even in the 90's this was a good looking show. But it has aged superbly well when compared to other shows from the era. The direction is often vibrant and interesting. The lighting and cinematography are really suburb, and the effects are excellent for TV of that decade.

DAMIEN: disappointing opener, stylistically all over the place but it's interesting that  as soon as Goldsmith's tunes enter (emerging from thick synth spheres) you sit and take notice.

Jessica Jones, S01E01

Good start.  Much more sexually charged than DD.  I liked the use of color and some of the bluesy music was a nice touch.  First episode was a good foundation, we were introduced to what I imagine are most of the key players, so hopefully the rest of the series progresses.  Looking forward to discovering more of Jessica's past.

I like Jessica Jones so far, I'm about halfway through the first season. Things pick up when David Tennant gets more to do