What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 3:33 PM, Alexcremers said:

QB VII? 

Really, Alex? I'm surprised that you don't know what "QB VII" is, or who scored it.

"QBVII" is a drama set in Queen's Bench VII, of the Old Bailey High Court (that's in London, don't you know). It is, basically a huge liable case, with a bit of a twist ending. The music is by a man called Jerry Goldsmith. You may have heard of him.

I know that you have never seen it, Steef. You only heard about it because you happen to love Jerry Goldsmith. You even might have glanced at the CD cover on some internet site but you decided not to buy the soundtrack because it's TV and not film. Heck, you didn't even watch War & Peace with AH.

I likely never would have heard of QBVII if not for the fact that Jerry scored it.  That score always gets high praise as one of his best works; It also gets re-recorded a lot for compilations, etc.  And Tadlow just did a full 2CD re-recording of it a couple years ago

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I don't know every mini-series ever made. Neither do you, or you, or you, or you, or you, ...

Alex - However even I was not around for the DuMont network

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I likely never would have heard of QBVII if not for the fact that Jerry scored it.  That score always gets high praise as one of his best works; It also gets re-recorded a lot for compilations, etc.  And Tadlow just did a full 2CD re-recording of it a couple years ago

Same. And that's how I learned about Masada as well. I know very little about the shows themselves.

15 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

That's what I said! You guys only know old movies/TV series because you saw the CD cover! :pfft:

Old movies? No. I'm familiar with them based on my interest in film itself.

Old TV? Yeah, I'm not too familiar with what TV looked like before the late 90s.

Noticed Netflix has Big Bang Theory so decided to start it from the beginning. I only ever saw it sparingly and out of order (although I've watched many episodes) and Kate hadn't seen it so thought I'd get her into it. The pilot is very good, for a sitcom. Overall though season 1 is not a consistent experience, there's plenty of episodes which just aren't very amusing. Still, it's hard not to love the characters regardless. 

Girls 5x01 Wedding Day

Bleh.  5 years in you'd think these characters would have grown someone but they're all the same.  Hannah is narcissistic and self-centered as always, even on her best friend's wedding day.  Any bride would be ripshit if her maid of honor was acting like Hannah did on her wedding day!  Marnie is clueless as always, Jessa is underwritten as always, and Sosh didn't have much to do this week (besides have a truly terrible haircut) but probably hasn't grown much either.  Nothing made sense in this episode, like why in the bloody hell would Ray and Adam even be invited to this wedding?  Ray is such a better match for Marnie than the musician guy its kinda weird she doesn't realize that.  Adam and Jessa actually make a good pair too.  Nobody gives a crap about Hannah (the worst character in her own show, like Ted on HIMYM) and they really need to involve Sosh a lot more in the things.

Question about The X-Files on Netflix.

It's in HD and 16:9. Was it shot in widescreen and broadcasted as 4:3 at the time did they pan and scan it?

Finishing up on season one, and this actually looks excellent for an early 90's show. Very cinematic at times.

Btw, the actor playing Skinner really doesnt seem to have aged at all between 1993 and 2015!

Seasons 5 through 9 were shot natively in 16:9

Seasons 1 through 4 were shot knowing it would be 4:3 but with a 16:9 safe area; The remastered versions lose a little top and bottom but gain never before seen sides.

18 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Finishing up on season one, and this actually looks excellent for an early 90's show. Very cinematic at times.

There were some upset folks that they didn't provide the OAR for the blu ray, but puritans aside, the entire show looks fantastic in 16:9 HD.  You would never even notice since they did a great job protecting for widescreen during the early seasons.

18 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Btw, the actor playing Skinner really doesnt seem to have aged at all between 1993 and 2015!

A lot of people noticed that.  Dude's ageless.

1 minute ago, nightscape94 said:

the entire show looks fantastic in 16:9 HD.  You would never even notice since they did a great job protecting for widescreen during the early seasons.

Yup, my experience as well.

On 2/24/2016 at 4:52 AM, Alexcremers said:

Alex - who is enjoying the heck out of Bates Motel S3

pic_3289256_zpsyve5ljin.jpg

I meant to pick that back up, I left in the middle of season 2 for reasons I can't even remember.

1 hour ago, nightscape94 said:

I meant to pick that back up, I left in the middle of season 2 for reasons I can't even remember.

While S1 and S2 were certainly watchable, S3 definitely is on another level.

S1 was definitely the weakest. But the show really found its footing in season 2, and season 3 took it up a couple steps.

Almost done season 5 of "The Sopranos" and in a way I'm glad that season 6 is its last.  Good stuff, loved seasons 3 and 4, but it's time for it to end.  Going over the same ground a bit too much and probably could have been a more tightly written 4 seasons of television instead of 6.