What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

I'm really into Narcos now. That this really happened is downright mind-boggling. 

27NARCOS-facebookJumbo_zpspkcmwu4d.jpg

Alex - who noticed that The Wire on Blu-ray is half-priced

17 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I'm really into Narcos now. That this really happened is downright mind-boggling. 

27NARCOS-facebookJumbo_zpspkcmwu4d.jpg

Alex - who noticed that The Wire on Blu-ray is half-priced

Is it something that's up to the quality standards. I still need to see the second season of Fargo but already looking for something that's close to this.

And yeah, The Wire on Blu-ray is surprisingly revealing. I always thought the original format was perfect for it. And it is, in many respects. But by widening the screen, you get a bit more of a scope, see stuff in the background. Baltimore as a character seems fuller and more alive. Some frames perhaps suffer slightly from poorer composition (because it wasn't intended to be shown this way) but overall I'd say: go for it! It is certainly not a waste of time.

Karol

That's the one problem I have with it. I saw it all on 4:3 on DVD and was perfectly happy with it. It's not really necessary to spend money on it. I'm going to decide when I'm in the store while holding the box in my hands.

Yes, Narcos is very much quality TV. Big in scope. It even reminds me of The Wire with a blend of Scorsese. Wagner Maura (who plays Pablo Escobar) is a force to be reckoned with.

Alex

I'm always a bit dubious when people say things like "Baltimore as a character". Is New York a character in Escape From New York? Is it a character in Woody Allen's Manhattan? Is the Discovery One a character in 2001: A Space Odyssey? I think we're really just talking about evocative settings and locales. IMO, these sets and places are no more ancillary "characters" than the fan favourite that says Middle-Earth is a sort of abstract life-force in the Lord of the Rings films. It's all a bit cosy-contemplative for me.  

If we're talking about filmic elements as actual extra characters; John Williams and his shark motif in Jaws is certainly a more tangible idea than richly realised or expressive settings are. That places can appear "alive" doesn't necessarily qualify them for living being status, I reckon. 

Just now, Quintus said:

I'm always a bit dubious when people say things like "Baltimore as a character". Is New York a character in say Escape From New York? Is it a character in Woody Allen's Manhattan? Is the Discovery One a character in 2001: A Space Odyssey? I think we're really just talking about evocative settings and locales. 

I read this corny trope in amateur reviews a lot. It's annoying.

35 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

That's the one problem I have with it. I saw it all on 4:3 on DVD and was perfectly happy with it. It's not really necessary to spend money on it. I'm going to decide when I'm in the store while holding the box in my hands.

Yes, Narcos is very much quality TV. Big in scope. It even reminds me of The Wire with a blend of Scorsese. Wagner Maura (who plays Pablo Escobar) is a force to be reckoned with.

Alex

One thing I can tell you about The Wire Blu-ray is that it made me realise the show is much better shot than it appears on the DVD sets. So it's an excellent opportunity to rewatch it, for the experience won't be exactly the same.

Karol

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

I had the same experience watching Star Trek TNG in HD!

;)

It's like we were having a conversation about Ligeti and suddenly you barge in on the conversation with: "Yeah, I love how CD quality reveals the musically complexity of K3." 

:pfft:

k3-cd-10000-luchtballonnen_zpsd8hhho6g.j

A Study In Pink.

An exercise is style and panache.

It seems so normal now, but in 2010 the concept of a Sherlock Holmes set in the present day didnt sound that interesting to me (the TV show House used essentially the same concept, and had a leading character with many of the same characteristics of this version of Sherlock)

This 90 minute version of A Study In Pink was actually the second one filmed after a 55 minute version was commissioned the year before. For some reason it was decided to change the format of the show and this episode was extended by a massive 35 minutes and shot from scratch with a different director and some new cast members.

It's interesting though that the added 35 minutes don't really feel like padding. Mainly because this is a pilot, and most pilots tend to focus on the concept of the show and the characters first, and a bit less so on the story unique to that episode.

Many aspects that the show has become famous for actually première in this reshot version. The added text, Mycroft, a lot of the banter between John and Sherlock, and the very stylised direction.

Martin Freeman was a fairly well known comedy actor here, and would go on to become quite a big star/character actor. His Watson perfectly embodies the "everyman" audience/reader substitute of the Conan Doyle stories. Yet he's also an adrenaline junkie. Highly intelligent in his own right. And not quite willing to let Sherlock take him for a ride (though his protestations never last long and eventually his curiosity wins out)

Cumberbatch became an even greater global sensation on the back of this and even here it's easy to see why. Again this interpretation of Sherlock isnt unique. Hugh Laurie did very similar things with House. But Cumberbatch's Sherlock is so energetic, charismatic, petulant, brilliant yet a insensitive and thick arse that it's hard not to fall in love with the character. Kinda like Jeremy Clarkson and Nigel Farage, but thankfully fictional.

The chemistry between Freeman and Cumberbatch lies at the very heart of this episode, and indeed the entire show (has it only been 10 episodes)

Compared to "modern day" Sherlock (???) A Study In Pink is remarkably self contained, with just the hint of Moriarty's name to be carried over to the next episode.

The direction is excellent with a wonderfully vibrant style. Despite the 35 minutes added the episode moves along swiftly

A rip-roaring 90 minutes. Cleverly written, acted to perfection and above all hilariously funny.

Sherlock-1x01-A-Study-in-Pink-sherlock-h

The Blind Banker

800px-The_Blind_Banker.png

In terms of pacing this is the slowest episode of Sherlock. It feels distinctly padded out. I've always wondered if this story started out as a 1 hour episode and like A Study In Pink they extended. The mystery, while interesting doesnt feel quite as involving this time.

Nevertheless as a vehicle of Cumberbatch and Freeman this one is still marvellously entertaining, and the character scenes as as strong as any other episode.

I have no idea if the episode was indeed padded. But John being broke and needing to get a job. The murdered journalist and possibly even the Chinese circus performance feel like they could be added after the fact.

The Blind Banker is the first time we see John have a lady friend, and Sherlock's rather aloof response to her would be the norm till Mary pops up 2 seasons later..

That fact, couples with the way he disregards Molly and roundly dissed Donovan in the first episode does give the appearance of misogyny. Which is something the writers would adress in season two.

Interestingly this is the only episode of Sherlock that doesnt feature Lestrade or Mycroft at all.

It's also unique in that it has no appearance at all of a "genius" level character other then Sherlock. Even Moriarty appears as letter on a computer screen.

The direction by Euros Lyn broadly follows the visual style of the previous episode, but lacks the deftness of it. And the climax in the tram tunnel actually feels a bit clunky in how it was handled.

So in my opinion this remains the weakest episode of Sherlock, and it's placement right after the awesome first episode is actually a bit unfortunate.

It's still very perfectly fine to watch though. Like A Study In Pink it's more or less a stand alone story without much of any baggage from the previous one, or much of loose threads for subsequent episodes.

Either by happy coincidence or design the middle episode of every season so far has had the least amount of obvious links to the overall story arc.

Onwards!

The Great Game

Screen+Shot+2012-10-21+at+9.04.25+PM.png

This is more like it!

Structurally The Great Game has some similarities to The Sign Of Three in that it features a collection of seemingly small cases which are all interconnected through the actions of the episode's primary baddie.

No idea if this was ever written as a 1 hour episode or as 90. Seeing that the episode revolves around several cases it would have been quite easy to pad it out with another case or so.

Naturally the acting is just about perfect, with everyone but Anderson involved this time.

Paul McGuigan returns to direct, and once again does so with a lot of style. I'm especially fond if the weird-ass fight in the planetarium.

The episode slightly reveals it's age by having a few Jimmy Saville jokes near the end, which the BBC probably wouldnt allow in these days.

The Great Game introduces Moriarty, played rather scarily but with huge camp style by Andrew Scott, who's both ridiculous and menacing at the same time.

I like how Sherlock initially disregards his brothers Bruce Partington case, which eventually turns out to be the crux of it all....or not!

Because in the end Moriarty simply dumps the USB stick into the pool saying he could have gotten the plans from anywhere.

The episode actually never really reveals Moriarty's exact motive in this episode.

It's obviously a battle of wits between the true great minds. But initiated by Moriarty, and at great expense to him. Was there any other reason apart from playing the game?

After solving the Vermeer case, Sherlock says that there's a distinct Czech flavor about this case. Which is something that also isnt really resolved.

In The Great Game Moriarty is "just" another criminal mastermind, but later on in the series that will be developed into something more personal. An almost symbiotic relationship between the two characters.

I actually did notice that the start of that might be hinted here. The first of the cases Sherlock solves in The Great Game was also the first one he took an active interest in when he was still a child. The kid in the pool and the missing trainers.

It also appears to be a murder carried out by Moriarty himself when he was still young. So there's a connection there that has not yet been explored.

While it wouldn't be until a bit later in the series when the writers started taking a perverse glee into fooling the audience. They were certainly there early in how to close a series.

The villain revealed, the mystery sort of solved but not really, and Sherlock aiming his gun at a bomb vest....cut to black, so you in about 17 or 18 months....

Fuckers! ;)

The episode doesnt dot all it's "I"s, nor did subsequent episodes did much to follow up. But it's still an outstanding episode. My favorite of series 1.

44 minutes ago, KK. said:

Everyone keeps telling me to check that out, but I've been really hesitant, not sure why.

I'm sure it's great, but it's still yet another cool criminal underworld show. How many times do I need to see it? Between charismatic criminal sociopaths and superheroes, I'm feeling like I've seen enough of that stuff for a good while. 

4 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I'm sure it's great, but it's still yet another cool criminal underworld show. How many times do I need to see it? Between charismatic criminal sociopaths and superheroes, I'm feeling like I've seen enough of that stuff for a good while. 

Quite true but then, i go by gut instinct. The laconic style is good enough for me. 

A Scandal In Belgravia

irene-s02e01-a-scandal-in-belgravia-sher

Picks up right where The Great Game left off, and quickly defuses the built up tension with....Stayin' Alive as a ringtone.

Moriarty apparently get a better offer to let Sherlock live and that's that.....

While I certainly wouild not call the first series of Sherlock restrained, it is really from this one where they start to push the envelope when it comes to incredibly clever, but completely implausible, improbable and impossible stories.

Apparently Sherlock was left alive on the behest or Irene Adler, who soon decides to play a seductive game with him which will...many many months later lead to him revealing the coded numbers behind "operation Coventry" to her. Info which she then texts to Moriarty, who then warns Mycroft, so that operation is cancelled.

It isnt actually ever clear why Irene Adler wanted that code deciphered. If her aim was the extort Great Britain because of the contents on her phone, then why play this long game, which seems to between 6 months to a year, the all important phone out of her hands for much of that time.

And what is Moriarty's connection? Why does he contact Mycroft about the phony plane?

None of this really makes any sense whatsover. But it actually doesnt matter.Sherlock in the end is about style over substance, and A Scandal In Belfravia has tons of style. In it's script, the acting, direction and even the music.

Paul McGuigan return to direct and does so with an incredible amount of flair. I especially live the transitions between the case with the hiker and the boomerang and the conversations between Sherlock and Irene.

This episode is actually quite romantic at times, which is rather a feat considering the two main subjects are completely self obsessed people.

They did make a small but signif8cant chance to Sherlock's character though. Possibly to counteract any suggestions that Sherlock is nothing but a misogynist pig.

He demands that Mycroft apologises to Mrs. Hudson after he tells her to shut up (though he repeats the shut up moments later)

During the Christmas party he seriously humiliates Molly, but when he realises what he did he apologises unreservedly.

And finally he drops the CIA goon who manhandled Mrs. Hudson from the window....4 times...

So the character certainly has been given a more chivalrous side.

What makes the improbably nature of this all so engrossing is that it's not only exciting, but also piss-your-pants funny. From Sherlock sitting naked in Buckingham Place, to him and John having a fist fight in an alley. The writing is always hilarious, and the delivery by the cast is pitch perfect.

Sherlock is complete nonsense, but it's brilliant at being complete nonsense.

A Scandal In Belgravia is really the first where the series will dabble in extensive flashbacks, and a bit of audience trickery.

After the deflated finale at the swimming pool it genuinely looks like the case of the hiker and the boomerang will be the main case here, till it turns out that it's merely something for Sherlock and Irene to share later on.

People who complain after the New Year special that Sherlock's has lost it's way are wrong. It's right on course for wherever it seems to be heading, though I'm pretty sure the writers don't have everything thought out and lined up.

The Sopranos

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/dvd/warner/SopranosS1BD_2.jpg

Two episodes in.  While the show is definitely compelling even this early in, I wouldn't quite say I'm hooked yet.  I can certain see myself getting to that place, I'm just waiting for the story and its characters to really get cooking.  There was some awkwardness in the storytelling in the pilot that was cleaned up in the second episode.  I imagine it will continue to reshape itself until it figures out exactly what it is.

You'll probably never get "hooked" in the way that current A+ television can hook you. It stood out when it originally aired because it was so much better than almost everything else on concurrently. But since then (and partly because of it) so many good writers have moved to TV there's a new great show starting all the time. It doesn't compare with the best of those but it is good for what it is. The first three seasons are really solid then it drops off a bit in season 4 and 5, but the Adriana storyline is still good at least.