What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Finished Trailer Park Boys, and now only have the specials and the movies to watch. There's quite a lot of extra content to get through, which is comforting. The show didn't stay as sharp and nutty once creator Mike Clattenburg left and Netflix took over, but it still remained enjoyable right up to the end; just with less consistent hilarity. Basically, once it went High Def it wasn't as good. But we aren't talking Arrested Development season 3 atrocities here, lord no. So, the first seven crudely shot seasons are absolutely immaculate and the show has now entered my top five TV comedies. Of its style, I consider it as good as The Office and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

The League Season 7

This once-funny showed limped to the finish with a wildly uneven final season. A few spots showed signs of the spark the show once had, but overall there was a lot of dead spots and head-scatching plot points. Killing off Sofia was so random and didn't lead to any good comedy. However, Larry David showing up as Old Ruxin in the final episode was ace.

There's good stuff in there, and stuff that is....not so good.

Right. I'd actually never seen Hide and Q before yesterday, somehow. And I didn't realize that Wyatt Miller, Troi's betrothed in Haven, is the bad guy in Prison Break.

But when Code of Honor came on, I wanted to leave the room. I think this was the first time I made myself watch all of The Naked Now.

Just finished Fargo season 2. The writing unravels slightly near the end when confrontations come to a head, but overall this is a stellar second season. I liked the first season, but there was a sense that it was sometimes trying to escape Fargo the film's shadow. The second season completely dispels that all the while retaining the key theme from the film that people scheming and planning and overreaching ultimately fuck it up for themselves. Glorious. 

The cast is pitch perfect too. I'm amazed how they managed to assemble that good a cast to a perfect fit. The last time this happened was The Wire, I think.

Homeland Season 5

Nope, no good.  While not as awful as the terrible Season 3, it never had anything as exciting as the embassy seige from Season 4 let alone came anywhere near the heights o the high points of Season 1 or 2.  The finale was a particular let down, they once again try to make Quinn be an important character (sorry, I just never liked him) and even bring back that letter he wrote at the end of the last season that I had certainly completely forgotten about.  It's so lame how the show has basically not even handled Carrie being a mom (she has the kid now for like the first episode of each new season before sending it away).  I did like that she tried to get back with her German BF guy and he shot her down, that was actually well done and realistic.  But then what was up with her turning down a chance to be back in the CIA and her weird offer from the rich billionaire guy?  

Showtime's already renewed this for a Season 6 but does anyone still watching really care if it gets cancelled at this point?  It's so far past its prime, you can't even remember the good times any more.

Downton Abbey Season 6 (including final Christmas Special)

Overall, a pretty good season of the show, but NOTHING about it felt like "THE FINAL SEASON" at all.  Which was fine for the main 8 episodes, but I was surprised by how little of a "Grand Finale" the Christmas Special had to it.  Of course it was great to see Edith finally get a happy ending, and Danka fail one last time to get Sprout in trouble, and even for Barrow to get his redemption.  But I never felt like I was watching a SERIES finale, it felt just like another SEASON finale.

Maybe because the final episode was so character based, and not more broad; IE, it almost completely dropped some earlier threads about how the world was changing, how there'd be less butlers and such in the future, etc.  Didn't really cover anything about the changing political landscape of England at all, something all the prior seasons did.

Well, I am sure TV Movie reunion specials will be commissioned on and off over the next 30 years anyway so I suppose it doesn't really matter.

Drunk History Season 3

Show continues to be good, about the same as always from year to year.  Seems like they sometimes get bigger names now, which is cool if I am familiar with them.  This was certainly better than the UK spinoff that aired between seasons!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Homeland Season 5

I've cancelled it myself after the season one. It was already very dull and much too predictable!

Seasons 1 and 2 each showed promise of it being a really exception show, even Season 3 for a little while, but overall its gone completely off the rails and it nothing to write home about.

The show keeps completely rebooting itself every season now too, its like a bad running joke.  Like they admit they have no grand plan and no idea what to do with these characters any more.

Hannibal S2: Finished it! Jees, this sh!t is really 'dark', know what I'm saying?

michael-pitt-as-mason-verger-on-hannibal

Alex - about to bring some necessary 'light' into his life with Fargo S2

Yes, its the darkest show I've ever seen to come from network TV!

Violent like crazy too, it was more violent than Dexter and that was on showtime.

Wait until you see the crazy lesbian sex scene in season 3!

48 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Is that Michael Pitt?

Yes, though he was recast for the next season.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Is Hannibal golden age quality?

Absolutely.  Hannibal is at the pinnacle of TV's golden age.  One of the best shows I have ever seen.

Hmm, I should catch Hannibal then. 

For the fun of it I started re-watching The Wire. I had only watched it for the first time around a year ago, and just finished season 1 again. The first season itself is tremendous. And to think it's not even the best...

Oh, but it's up there with the best. However, the best is Season 4. And to think I actually had my doubts about this season when I bought the DVD box set.

Fargo S2: Pilot. Is that Sam Malone?! Or does he just look like him?

On 1/2/2016 at 2:14 AM, Hurmm said:

The first season [of The Wire] itself is tremendous. And to think it's not even the best...

Personally, I think it is the best. The others all bring new merits into the work, and the way that the basic theme is extended to more and more institutions is impressive. But it's in the first season that the creators' ingenuity in weaving together the multitude of strands of the story into a stupendous structure is at its most brilliant. This puts it above its successors in my mind.

The Wire, like many great shows, should definitely be viewed as a whole, but each season on its own terms is amazing, as well as fairly self-contained, and tells a specific story told from different viewpoints, showing different sides of the "drug war".  It's cleverly wide-reaching in scope while still feeling intimate. 

However, season 1 is impossibly good.

I've been slowly making my way through Grounded For Life with the girlfriend. I watched it during its original run and remember loving it, but hardly recall any of the episodes outside of the cast. I don't think I saw anything after Season 2, as it was cancelled by Fox and then picked up on another network for 3 more seasons.

It's refreshingly realistic for a typical sitcom, in that it doesn't tend to gloss things over. Man knocks up high school girlfriend when she was 16 and now they live in a tiny house with 3 kids, he's a construction worker and she's a waitress. Obviously it has its TV moments, but even then there are lines that keep everything in check. Kevin Corrigan is perfect, and the whole cast generally does incredibly well in their roles. It's just a genuinely hilarious show.

I should watch the series through again.  I watched every episode the day or at least week they aired, and honestly haven't thought about it much since or ever recommended it to anybody.  I remember it dropping off in quality after the first one or two seasons.  Maybe I'll think differently now.