What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Apparently that's not how Spielberg works, otherwise he wouldn't have complained about the difficulty to get a project financed these days. Don't forget, people wanna see Marvel and Nolan. Everything else is a risk, even a Spielberg film.

2 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Apparently that's not how Spielberg works, otherwise he wouldn't have complained about the difficulty to get a project financed these days. Don't forget, people wanna see Marvel and Nolan. Everything else is a risk, even a Spielberg film.

That's because Spielberg isnt interested in films that are part of a franchise or a factory line assembly. Of course a Batman film or a sci-fi epic and The Avengers part VIII is easier to finance then a historical drama. Or a childrens film based on a beloved British book that no one in the USA knows.

And Spielberg isnt stupid enough to pay for these film out of his own pocket.

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I haven't even seen War Horse, or Lincoln.

There are plenty of Spielberg films I don't care for. But I don't think that's because he got forced into makkng them.

War Horse was the last one I watched. It looked gorgeous and I got it was supposed to feel like a 1940's movie... but it had no soul. And even John Williams' highly nostalgic and emotional score couldn't save it. The last Spielberg film I enjoyed was The Adventures of Tintin. And even that wasn't terrific. A.I. was the most intriguing film he's made in the 21st century... probably by accident. But it couldn't make up its mind what it wanted to be. It was stuck between Kubrick-like parable and real-life drama. And these two don't mesh well. I guess Minority Report was entertaining.. but made some very strange tonal choices. Saving Private Ryan had some amazing sequences but felt weak script-wise. War of the Worlds had cool sequences, sound and effects.. but fell flat. The Lost World had cool jungle footage and some bits that were ok. But it's a weak film. I can't remember anything from Amistad. So that leaves us Schindler's List. That's the last film he's done that was very good and felt real. So there you have it, the last time Spielberg was truly relevant was 23 years ago. And I'm 31 now.

Karol

It certainly makes me excited to see the future Spielberg-Rylance collaborations.  He was of course perfect in BoS and, whatever else you may say about BFG, I thought his performance was one of the most interesting parts of that movie, it was definitely one of the more expressive mocap perfs I've seen.

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Lincoln is a masterpiece.

Bridge of Spies is a great, near-masterpiece.

Irrefutable! :P

Both are certainly much better than the just very-good War Horse.

I tried to watch Lincoln... three times. And fell asleep.

Karol

Just now, crocodile said:

I tried to watch Lincoln... three times. And fell asleep.

Karol

Maybe it's because I'm predisposed to be interested in films about American history but I found it to be riveting, especially DDL's performance.

I haven't watched it because I only have very minimal interest in American history, but I do want to watch it at some point just to examine and probably enjoy the craftsmanship. My understanding is it's a very good film. 

I'd say Munich was the last film where he really took risks, but like a lot of recent Spielberg films, it has great individual sequences and it's better than a lot of current movies but there's something of the whole that it's really close to perfection but for some reason doesn't quite reach there. Oscar bait hurts his work.

Filmmaking can be a long process. I tend to think about those directors that are working four or more years of their lives on a film they know is shit, but they have to do it anyways. Sometimes it's just the job, and not everything you do can be perfect. Otherwise you'd end up like Kubrick or Mallick with very few films per decade. Of course, you could argue that fewer films raises the quality of your work, but not everyone can afford -or want- to do that. Guys like Spielberg or Allen seem to like keeping themselves busy. The day they stop working, they die.

But who knows, maybe The Kidnapping of Edgardo Montara will take some risks and surprise us. And Ready Player One could return to that 80's goodness that people seem to miss so much of him. Though it raises the question, if he still into that kind of films? 

6 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

Plus there's people like Koray or GreyPilgrim who come along and say they prefer his later work anyway. 

I just like Munich, don't care for the rest. Spielberg was never one of my favorite directors. 

51 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

I'd say Munich was the last film where he really took risks, but like a lot of recent Spielberg films, it has great individual sequences and it's better than a lot of current movies but there's something of the whole that it's really close to perfection but for some reason doesn't quite reach there. 

I disagree with this conclusion. I only saw it the once, years ago, but I thought it was an excellent film. 

28 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I just like Munich, don't care for the rest. Spielberg was never one of my favorite directors. 

Don't you prefer Michael Bay? 

Munich was indeed his last film of interest. He hasn't had anything particularly interesting to say since then.

1 minute ago, KK said:

Munich was indeed his last film of interest. He hasn't had anything particularly interesting to say since then.

To be honest, the second time wasn't as good as the first. CMIYC scored better in that regard.

Alex

50 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

To be honest, the second time wasn't as good as the first. CMIYC scored better in that regard.

Alex

You're probably right. But then, I completely forgot it exists.

Karol

40 minutes ago, Lonnegan said:

I always forget about Catch Me if You Can, too. Which is odd since I thoroughly enjoyed it. Maybe he's made too many great movies to remember them all. 

It's a strange phenomenon. I also enjoyed it, and the score is very good, but it just doesn't linger in memory for some reason.

Karol

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

You're probably right. But then, I completely forgot it exists.

Karol

Completely? 

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

It's a strange phenomenon. I also enjoyed it, and the score is very good, but it just doesn't linger in memory for some reason.

Karol

Watch it again then. You might be surprised.

I will give it a rewatch soon then.

Finished Stranger Things last night. Despite all the (well) regurgitated material, it was very enjoyable. Perhaps a tad too long. All kids are great.

Karol

The kids were indeed great, they really found kids with good acting chops.  I think they'll have no problem finding more work