What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

3 more episodes of Bloodline to go and it's great. Watched the first episode of Stranger Things and it was just okay, watchable enough but didn't really grab me like I was expecting. Early days though. 

Checked out the first 2 episodes of Stranger Things. Meh, not quite feeling it yet. It looks handsomely produced, and has a sense of style I like, but ultimately it really does look like little more than a mix of 80s adventure/Scifi tropes and homages.

Also am I the only one who finds it hard to stomach Wionna Ryder's overacting?

She wasn't very good in the first episode of Stranger Things. A quick Google seems to to suggest she's been well received in though, so I'll wait and see what happens. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/winona-ryder-is-ideal-in-eighties-mystery-series-stranger-things-but-whats-next-for-her-big-comeback-a7148016.html%3famp?client=ms-android-oneplus#

I wrote it off after two episodes. And not because of WR. Get screenwriters that have ideas beyond dressing up old corpses. This is like 'Super 8' dragged out for 10 hours.

There's been a couple of shows I've almost stopped with after the early episodes but thankfully gave a chance to find their footing. I'll give Stranger Things the benefit of the doubt for a couple more, and well because the pilot wasn't exactly horrible anyway. It was okay. One of the main reasons I'm watching actually is because my trusted TV guy couldn't tell me to watch it quick enough. He watched all 8 in a weekend apparently. Being a career bum he's clued up on all the current golden age stuff. 

We'll see, it's no biggie. If it turns out shit I'll tell you. I never had you down as an ET and The Goonies sort of lad in the first place, to be fair. 

Oh and agreed about Super 8. It was a weak imitation. 

It'll definitely get renewed. It's "the" popular thing on TV at the moment I think.

But like pub said, so far it's failed to move past the 80s roots it's so desperately trying to pay tribute to. Almost every character/plot device/event is tied to some 80s Hollywood escapist film. It's entertaining enough I guess, but still seems...pointless.

I'll stick through it though, and see where it goes.

I think the likelihood is a lot of people have enjoyed it for the Stephen King feels. His adaptions have a terrible track record as far as quality is concerned, but people still loved them regardless. Heavily derivative as they were. They were 90s productions btw; you're making a mistake if you think the appeal of this hinges solely on its 80s setting. If Stranger Things tips a big hat to that schlocky formula and executes it better than any of those tv movies ever did then its success is obvious. 

Under the Dome tried and blew it, but word is this one doesn't miss the bullseye. Maybe because Spielberg TV wasn't involved? Ooo such irony would taste delicious.  

I haven't seen the Under the Dome show, but from what I understand it takes extreme liberties with the book, which I loved.

As far as Stranger Things is concerned, I am not fanatical about it because of Stephen King or Steven Spielberg.  Their DNA is in the show but it's not either of them in the end.  I simply enjoyed the hell out of it.  It's the first show in a long time I wanted to watch again right away.

I Just began Stranger Things.

This is really E.T., but when shit hit the fan.

In any case, it raise a very important issue.

What the hell they did with Matthew Modine's hair???

Wow. I just looked it up. Winona Ryder? 1980s? Sci-fi? I'm there! As soon as I finish the 6-episode arc that begins season 6 of Deep Space Nine.

stranger-things-brighter-winona-ryder-la

I'm never excited for anything new anymore.

I was 9 yo in 1983. When I saw that yellow telephone, it reminded me very bad memories.

Stranger Things.

Ours was avocado.

rotary-phone.jpg

The oven was too... as the fridge...

I'm not sure I will be able to watch this to the end.

5 hours ago, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

Wow. I just looked it up. Winona Ryder? 1980s? Sci-fi? I'm there! As soon as I finish the 6-episode arc that begins season 6 of Deep Space Nine.

stranger-things-brighter-winona-ryder-la

I'm never excited for anything new anymore.

How did you miss my hype of it?

On 7/8/2016 at 2:00 PM, Jay said:

I'm sure it's already been posted but I haven't seen the trailers until today:

Netflix has a new show coming out next Friday that looks pretty good!  It stars Winona Ryder and the trailers definitely evoke Super 8, ET, and a little bit of CE3K and maybe some Stephen King

We've got one episode left to go and its excellent, but the score is terrible.

9 minutes ago, TheWhiteRider said:

Funny, I've heard the show is a nostalgia overdose bore but that the score is something uncommonly good.

It depends if you like 80s John Carpenter music, because that's how all the original score in the show sounds.  Great use of 80s pop and rock music, though.

The show is essentially ET, Poltergeist, Firestarter, Stand By Me, The Goonies, and a few other 80s movies mashed together, with additional influences from or references to Carrie, Close Encounters, Evil Dead, The Thing, and even Under The Skin!

5 minutes ago, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

Why would I have heard about it? It's not Star Trek, John Williams, Batman or Disneyland related.

Speaking of Disney, are you ready to commit Harry Carry over this?

http://io9.gizmodo.com/disneys-guardians-of-the-galaxy-ride-is-just-the-beginn-1784215511

9 minutes ago, TheWhiteRider said:

John Carpenter music?!  Huh, I've been lied to!  How could that be good... I'll have to investigate.

The score is completely electronic (at least it is 7 episodes in).  It's either your thing or it isn't.  Personally I didn't think it always suited the show properly, but of course a lot of people are gonna love it.

I've never been a fan of Carpenter's stuff -  it tends to waste nice textures and colors on, well, not much at all.  What I'd heard was more indicative of a Vangelis vibe.  I can only find the main title music at the moment, and it does seem more Carpenter than Vangelis.

A few more episodes in. It gets better. I see the appeal. It presents a different spirit to what else is offered in modern television, with the production values of a large-scale film. To its credit, there is some evocative imagery here and there (I like the otherworldly Under the Skin-style sequence). But ultimately, the core of the show still feels lightweight and redundant. Winona Ryder becomes tolerable, but she wasn't the only one here with the shoddy acting anyway.

The score sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Has some nice atmospheric moments, but doesn't veer much away from dressed-up 80s electronica.

4 hours ago, TheWhiteRider said:

I've never been a fan of Carpenter's stuff -  it tends to waste nice textures and colors on, well, not much at all.  What I'd heard was more indicative of a Vangelis vibe.  I can only find the main title music at the moment, and it does seem more Carpenter than Vangelis.

I haven't heard it but these days the sound of John Carpenter is more 'en vogue'  than that of Vangelis. Why? Because the synth music of Carpenter is entirely void of lyricism and thus more fitting the taste of modern audiences. It's retro and therefore it wants to bring back lyricism, you say? Hmm, I find that hard to believe. Sometimes I think you would say anything to win an argument.

4 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I haven't heard it but these days the sound of John Carpenter is more 'en vogue'  than that of Vangelis. Why? Because the synth music of Carpenter is entirely void of lyricism and thus more fitting the taste of modern audiences. It's retro and therefore it wants to bring back lyricism, you say? Hmm, I find that hard to believe. Sometimes I think you would say anything to win an argument.

What in the fuck are you talking about?

All I'm saying is that the sound of Vangelis is no longer in demand. Sure, in the last ten years we've heard a bit of Blade Runner in Watchmen, but that's it. On the other hand, the colder sound of Carpenter seems to be totally hip these days. I keep hearing it everywhere. 

I don't own any of his scores, but I always appreciate and enjoy Carpenter's musical contribution to his films. Same as I do Clint Eastwood's. The landscape has plenty of room for filmmakers who like to dabble with audiovisual in the musical sense, and those two do it well. Carpenter even managed to be iconic with it. Escape From New York is his best score IMO. 

Reluctantly watched until E5. Easy to digest but me categorically doesn't dig this counting rhyme style (Poltergeist hidden worlds in closet: check, CEOTK lightshow: check E. T. lower middle class suburbia and government conspiracy: check, Jurassic Park: guy getting mauled by unseen forces etc.). It stifles any element of surprise and what's more, it's a disservice to the better cast members.