What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

I recorded all True Detective S2 eppies fom TV and so I thought I'm going to give it a chance. After 25 minutes I still didn't like what I saw and so I decided to stop watching. Maybe tonight I might continue watching. I dunno ... It doesn't intrigue me.

true-detective-season-2-colin-farrell.jp

Yeah, Nic Pizzolatto took all the good will that had built up from season 1 and burned the whole thing to the ground.

Cary Fukunaga was also very notably missed IMO.

It has a number of redeeming moments actually. It's just pretty messy and flawed, but with plenty to offer regardless.

Finished Stranger Things. It was enjoyable overall, almost despite itself. I really liked how the mystery was unfolding, with different elements finally coming together towards the end. I was afraid some of those things would be too random but they weren't. All the kids were great in this. And it had a very strong conclusion as well. It's a shame that this thing is merely a remix of everything we loved from pop culture but, as far as remixes go, this one was really solid (looking at you, Super 8). Oh and it should have been slightly shorter, some character moments tend to get bit repetitive. There are only so many episodes of panicked/depressed Winona Ryder I can sit through (for example).

Karol

I don't think i will go on with this but 'The Night of' can't air soon enough. I tried so many different things most of which are not bad but not that interesting either. Just started a thing with Ellen Barkin as weird hippie mother of a California surfer clan and it sure is rather low but i will see wat E2 brings. It could get somewhere but i don't know what that could be.

54 minutes ago, Lonnegan said:

She was awful in the first episode, but sort of reigned herself in a bit after that. Or maybe I settled into the vibe of the story more. 

Well. not awful. Or maybe awful. But it got really annoying cause you have, like, four solid episodes of this. And then, she sort of pulls herself together.

Karol

I still can't work out if she was hamming it up because she thought nobody would bother to see this new fangled streaming only show. Ryder is a good actress, but she's not been around in much for well over a decade. Did she decide early on Stranger Things wouldn't change that? 

The dialogue itself was pretty good. Better than what you get in Super 8, anyway. The kids had witty things to say and the stuff about the police chief who'd lost his daughter was just the right amount of subtle, for this genre. 

On a side note, there was an absolutely brilliant video game commentary joke near the end which I was chuffed with myself for getting! 99% of viewers wouldn't have even registered it :mrgreen:

The makers sort of won me over there. 

I found this interview Woody Allen did at Cannes last year in which he talks about his Amazon series that he's still developing. Doesn't sound like it's doing well!

DEADLINE: How do you reconcile your avoidance of computers and iPads, when you signed on to create a TV series for Amazon’s streaming service?
ALLEN: I don’t even know what a streaming service is; that’s the interesting thing. When you said streaming service, it was the first time I’ve heard that term connected with the Amazon thing. I never knew what Amazon was. I’ve never seen any of those series, even on cable. I’ve never seen The Sopranos, or Mad Men. I’m out every night and when I come home, I watch the end of the baseball or basketball game, and there’s Charlie Rose and I go to sleep. Amazon kept coming to me and saying, please do this, whatever you want. I kept saying I have no ideas for it, that I never watch television. I don’t know the first thing about it. Well, this went on for a year and a half, and they kept making a better deal and a better deal. Finally they said look, we’ll do anything that you want, just give us six half hours. They can be black and white, they can take place in Paris, in New York and California, they can be about a family, they can be comedy, you can be in them, they can be tragic. We don’t have to know anything, just come in with six half hours. And they offered a lot of money and everybody around me was pressuring me, go ahead and do it, what do you have to lose?

DEADLINE: So you said yes…
ALLEN: And I have regretted every second since I said OK. It’s been so hard for me. I had the cocky confidence, well, I’ll do it like I do a movie…it’ll be a movie in six parts. Turns out, it’s not. For me, it has been very, very difficult. I’ve been struggling and struggling and struggling. I only hope that when I finally do it — I have until the end of 2016 — they’re not crushed with disappointment because they’re nice people and I don’t want to disappoint them. I am doing my best. I fit it in between films, so it’s not like, no film this year, I’m doing Amazon. It’s a job within my usual schedule. But I am not as good at it as I fantasized I might be. It’s not a piece of cake; it’s a tough thing and I’m earning every penny that they’re giving me and I just hope that they don’t feel, ‘My God, we gave him a very substantial amount of money and freedom and this is what he gives us?’

DEADLINE: But haven’t you just voiced the anxiety and insecurity that fueled your entire creative career?
ALLEN: I hope it’s just the anxiety again, but this is hard. I’m like a fish out of water. Movies I’ve been doing for decades, and even the stage stuff, I know the stage and have seen a million plays. But this…how to begin something and end it after a half an hour and then come back the next time. It’s not me.

DEADLINE: You really regret that deal?
ALLEN: Oh, it’s amazing how you can regret. I haven’t had a pleasurable moment since I undertook it.

The whole interview is really interesting, despite being a year old. Allen probably has the best filmmaking career out of anyone. Says he's never had to have anything approved by anyone in his entire career. People just give him money to do whatever he wants, banking on his name alone. If something turns out bad, he doesn't care because he's already halfway through production on his next movie.

Match Point was originally written for New York, but since the city of London reached out to him to make something he filmed it there instead. Same reason why Midnight In Paris, Vicky Cristina Barcelona, and To Rome With Love happened in France, Spain, and Italy, respectively.

Woody Allen was brilliant thirty years ago, but those days are long behind him. Feels like another life. Maybe the TV format can make his work interesting again. 

On 3-8-2016 at 8:13 PM, Stefancos said:

Of course not. Though it's enjoyable in its own way as far as I remember.

But it has Ian Mcshane!

emergency.JPG

And a solarium!

hottie.JPG

Me and the kid also watched the first episode or the pilot of Stranger Things. The kid likes it (of course, he likes it, he's a kid!) but the only thing that really impressed me was, well, the image quality. Has anyone mentioned that already? NO?! Really, it looks truly natural with deep colors and nice contrast. It's as if they took the very latest hi-tech camera technology and went back to the '80s to film this series. And here's the most baffling thing ... It's soooo sharp (I thought my normal HD Plasma changed into a 4K model) that it can only be digital. Am I right or am I right?

stranger-things-season-1-ep-3_zpsqr6zxpa

Then there's the countless references to the Spielberg cinema of the '80s. And the references can be extremely subtle. For instance, look at this photo ... the boy in the middle looks like a boy version of Drew Barrymore in E.T.

Alex

56 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Golden Age TV -> '80s kids movies

Does that arrow signify that Golden Age TV turns into '80s kids movies? Because a negative greater than symbol doesn't exist in math. 

Loads here have mentioned the photography in Stranger Things. Poor Alexcremers; thought he perceived what others did not, again. One day though, right! 

It does look the part. 

Lonnegan - seen better in other shows.