What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

We sat through the first episode of The OA (The One Arse?). My wife loved it apparently (I was genuinely surprised there); and I am undecided. The main character (the blonde woman) is slightly irritating. Much of the story was soul searching "follow your heart, find your path" snores as already seen through the lens of a dozen other desaturated-chic flicks which otherwise excite impressionable teenagers; but the school bully who was to be her "unlikely" companion was at least the antidote there, to an extent, and was charismatically played by whoever that was.

I was swiftly losing interest actually, but then the opening credits finally kicked in, some ten minutes of runtime remaining, and everything about the delivery thus far changed in that instant, saving it, and securing a second chance later this week. 

Yea, I really enjoyed that late credit reveal, it was cool.

Oddly, the remaining episodes don't have an opening credit sequence at all, and just put all the credits at the very end.

I'm warming up to an Amazon Prime original, #alternatehistory# what if there were wizards? 

One heartwarming thing it does is getting the linguistics right: after so many 'historical' epics were the characters talk like they just got out of Starbucks with a Hazelnut Toffee Latte, this one uses the correct forms of salutation, at least. Music is not half-bad, either.

1qvb.png

House of Cards season 5 isn't starting until May 30th!

Image may contain: cloud, sky, stripes, night and outdoor

The first 4 seasons all premiered in February/March.  Oh well.

The Young Pope.

I was not sure after the first episode, but I loved the series.

I hope it will shock some people.

There's plenty of messages in this series, to make people reflect, in a way or another, whatever you believe or not...

Second episode of The OA. Once again it was pretty plodding and rather uninteresting for ninety percent of its runtime, but then right at the end something happened which really makes it worthwhile and demands further commitment from suckers like me. Now don't mistake this for cheap Lost style cliffhangers, no; The OA is more irritating than that garden path rubbish because the way it handles its own last minute hooks is far more elegant and what I consider 'high end' in their precision deployment. Final moments of an episode feel like another layer carefully revealed rather than the usual crude device of a ratings trap. Damn this show, stop that! 

A Series of Unfortunate Events

I was a child when these books were coming out, so I thought there would be some sense of nostalgia or something in there. I was kind of underwhelmed. I don't like Neil Patrick Harris, and I don't think he made a very good Count Olaf. Sunny was creepy as heck. The campy aspect was fun though, but seemed like it was actually trying to be serious in some spots.

Been watching some TNG season one on Netflix these last few days. While a lot of it is pretty ropey, there's also plenty that's really not bad at all, and already points towards what the show would become.

The writing is all over the place though. And some of it really shows that they made a brilliant choice casting Patrick Stewart as Picard.

He has a few scenes in Coming Of Age where he's providing fatherly advice to Wesley. And his dialogue is rather cheesy, or would have been if Stewart had not performed it with such stern sincerity. 

No actor could deliver a speech about the moral foundations if the Federation and truly fill it with meaning, rather than it coming off boring or sanctimonious. 

With only a few months till Agent Cooper returns, I'd been fretting about the missus not ever having seen Twin Peaks, and I would prefer to watch season 3 with another, so tonight we began the whole thing and watched the feature length pilot. I didn't really fancy watching the whole lot again before it comes back, but I'll probably have to get on with it I suppose. So far I'm happy to. 

Some of the acting in the first salvo of Twin Peaks is shocking isn't it! It stands out more than ever now, the strikingly different sensibilities of its time (some of which definitely has nothing to do with style). Yet it does somehow still add to the bizarre trip, the feeling of uneasy amusement. 

Drunk History Season 4

This show is consistently enjoyable.  I continue to enjoy the throng of guest stars they get to come in and do the re-enactments, and the recurring storytellers are brought back for good reason.  I enjoyed Lin Manuel Miranda's retelling of the Hamilton story completely drunk.