What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Vice Principals Season 1

A mixed bag that I'd have to lean towards not recommending over recommending.  There were a bunch of moments that really made me laugh, but the characters are so unlikeable and some character development is so poorly done I think it failed more than it succeeded. It's really, really hard to root for either main character because they're both such major assholes, and they do such bad things to genuinely nice people.  I get that is the point but it just makes not not my favorite kind of show.

On 1.3.2017 at 3:06 AM, Disco Stu said:

Broadchurch S03E01

Real good. Two thumbs up. Already seems better than season 2.

Quite unsettling. I wonder how it will tie into the overall story of the first two seasons.

I tried Travelers on Netflix but it's simply not for me.

The Crown is a bit too serious. I'm really not that interested in the royal history film of the Brexiteers. 

A friend recommended HBO's The Night Of with John Turturro. I might check that out.

p12844160_b_v8_ab.jpg

Alex

The Night Of has a GREAT first episode then slowly gets worse and worse each week. 

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Like Lost, then. 

The LOST pilot episode is considered to be great? 

Anyways it's not really like that because The Night Of is an seasonal anthology show (like True Detective, Fargo, AHS, ACS, etc) and the quality changes in completely different ways. 

I getcha. The Night Of pilot is nothing like that; Visually and cinematicaly it offers nothing new, but it is exceptionally well written and well cast. 

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

The LOST pilot episode is considered to be great?

Nah not really. However it was quite promising and at the time it felt fresh. 

In that regard it's similar because The Night Of pilot got me quite excited for another great new peak TV show,  but then as the weeks went on, it was clear it wasn't...  

Kind of like Homeland really, although at least this is a one and done season. 

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 5:23 PM, Koray Savas said:

The Legend Of Korra

Book Three: Change

Welp, they managed to sustain the sense of scale again. 

And a nice rebound after a mildly entertaining, but mostly underwhelming second season.

Here's a weird trailer for a new serial killer / FBI show exec produced by David Fincher & Charlize Theron, with 3 episodes directed by Fincher

That Fincher trailer is so ordinary (it looks and feels like everything else that you have seen) that my brain doesn't register what I'm seeing. OTOH, that little Fargo S3 clip (with no dialogue at all, BTW) got all my attention. 

Alex

17 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

And a nice rebound after a mildly entertaining, but mostly underwhelming second season.

I loved the second season. So far I haven't really had any issues with the show. Book One is the most consistent in quality but that's probably due to the fact that the creators wrote every episode and each one was directed by the same person. 

I certainly liked the second season, wouldn't say I loved it.  Book One definitely has a consistency in story that they never really re-captured in the subsequent seasons.  You can really feel the gap left by Aaron Ehasz, who was an essential writing talent on The Last Airbender, but who didn't return for Korra.

Is anyone else watching Noah Hawley (Fargo)'s Legion? I wasn't sure what to think of it, but having just finished the 4th episode, I'm convinced this is something special.

Really? I constantly see the promos and thought, pure visually, it looked really bad. The main character also seems to overact considerably. 

I also thought Legion looked bad, but its getting rave reviews!

http://www.avclub.com/tv/legion/

and

This is an amazing show. You’re already watching it, right? Or is this the same thing we had to do with Noah Hawley’s Fargo, where you waited until the first season was almost over and everyone had to yell at you before you finally tuned in? Don’t be that person this time.

http://www.avclub.com/article/man-seeking-woman-becomes-man-marries-woman-season-251634

I'm just sick too death of all things superheroes, so I'll be giving this latest one a miss. It's gotten daft now, the genre is exhausted and tedious.  

8 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Really? I constantly see the promos and thought, pure visually, it looked really bad. The main character also seems to overact considerably. 

It's different. Hard to categorize, because it's so weird. Kind of like a British indie film on LSD. There's all sorts of weird stuff in it...like some macabre sequence of strange visuals pulled from different genres/movies. I'm still not quite sure what to make of it really, but I do think it's a cool show to have around.

It's definitely not as good as Fargo. And the writing is on the weak side, but the last episode had some pretty cool moments, so I think I'll stick through it.

22 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I'm just sick too death of all things superheroes, so I'll be giving this latest one a miss. It's gotten daft now, the genre is exhausted and tedious.  

Looks like its not a show about superheroes fighting villains each week, saving people, etc.... looks like something different.

Yes, the basic premise is about mutants. But the show isn't exactly an X-men movie...it's different. You should give it a chance Lee. Might be up your alley.

And this is coming from someone who's incredibly fed up with anything to do with superheroes.

I was vaguely aware of this "superhero" show Legion, but hadn't paid any attention to it until a few days ago when I realised that it's a Noah Hawley creation. On the basis of how great Fargo is (especially the second season), I thought anything else that he's behind should be worth a shot. I've watched the first two episodes of Legion so far and thought they're excellent, with some real brilliance; I can't wait to see more.

As to whether it's tiresome to have another show in the superhero / mutant genre, I wouldn't know because I haven't seen the other ones...

I've only ever seen one Martin Lawrence movie, but it was enough to know I was sick of them already...

Quintus - these days about as interested in the superhero genre as he is chick flicks.