What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

It felt more like an 8 hour movie than an episodic television show

The real story doesn't really begin until the second episode, the first has a lot of groundwork to lay

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

It felt more like an 8 hour movie than an episodic television show.

This is what I figured. I don't expect the conventional 1 hour TV format to do it much justice.

Seriously, Santa Clarita Diet is supposed to be a comedy but its heavily serialized, you can't tune into any random ep and know whats going on

Star Trek: TNG. The Naked Now.

Very bad idea to do an episodes where they are all infected with virus that makes then act drunk as the second episode of TNG. Neither the writers nor the actors really knew the characters yet, so there's a complete lack of subtlty in the whole thing.

Patrick Stewart especially acts like he's appearing in a regional pantomine. 

It's fun to see the cast drunk and horny. The Data/Yar scene actually gains depth later in the series. And the scene in Star Trek Insurrection where Geordi sees a sunrise for the first time is a moving conclusion of a wish spoken here.

So in the canon the episode does have merrit. But its really mediocre tv sci-fi!

Oh, and Wesley should have been killed off after this, on principle.

11 hours ago, Stefancos said:

There's nothing wrong with a program which you can watch once in a while without having to commit to a full season.

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Not everything on TV needs to require ones complete attention. Sometimes its nice to just be watching something nice and light.

Completely and totally agree!

I love serialized TV as much as anyone, but there absolutely needs to be "easier" content continuing to be created as well!

I find it sad that you can't turn off your critical brain and enjoy some nice comforting, non serialized comedy from time to time

Exactly, that's what we throw on with dinner: Easy comedies.  Of course, if we had kids, we'd have family dinners at the table without the TV on.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I find it sad that you can't turn off your critical brain and enjoy some nice comforting, non serialized comedy from time to time

It's because I associate it with bad TV shows. It's not a sad thing to avoid bad TV. 

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Of course, if we had kids, we'd have family dinners at the table without the TV on.

That's facist!

Ask Lee, as a modern parent you teach them to look at the screen ASAP! Some peace and quiet!

We've been watching Cheers on Netflix, and while it's a syndicated sitcom that airs on reruns in random order, I believe it gains a lot by watching it in Netflix order. There's a story arc to the tension, romance, and inevitable breakup between Sam and Diane that would be lost in random order, especially if you start throwing episodes with Rebecca throughout. Carla is pregnant for a few episodes. Norm has a job, then loses it; he has his wife, loses her, then gets her back; and there are even some two part episodes in the first few seasons. I don't recall comedy series like Seinfeld or Friends having these storylines. Point is, I would not consider Cheers to be as linear as Breaking Bad, but it's got to be more than your average sitcom. 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Star Trek: TNG. The Naked Now.

It's a miracle that the show survived this episode and that DC Fontana stuck with it for a while after her script was butchered. This episode is basically important for giving us some insight into the new characters, their motivations and dreams and abilities under pressure. We see Geordi's eyes, we learn about Tasha's childhood, and see more of Riker and Troi's relationship. Yes, the Captain Wesley Crusher bit should have had him exiled somewhere, but remember this is first season TNG when Gene had a death grip on the writing and conflict, and his Mary Sue was a malaise for the rest of the adult characters. It's an embarrassing episode and might have worked later in the season. I still prefer it over, say, Code of Honor or even Skin of Evil. 

How an android can be infected by a poorly designed contagious human disease based on being drunk, even after he's gotten laid by a hottie, is perhaps the weakest bit of science fiction in the entire series. 

Santa Clarita Diet 1x04 The Farting Sex Tourist

Santa Clarita Diet 1x05 Man Eat Man

Santa Clarita Diet 1x06 Attention to Detail

Santa Clarita Diet 1x07 Strange or Just Inconsiderate?

Santa Clarita Diet 1x08 How Much Vomit?

OK, I've figured out how to explain what makes this show not work for me, actually it's two (major) things.  One is that these people don't talk like real people.  Their entire language is writer's speak!  They don't talk like normal  people, everything they say sounds like its written by writers trying extremely hard to be clever and modern.  It just doesn't work.  And two is that the plot moves at a rapid rapid pace.  Through three quarters of the first season, they've done as much storylines as other shows would have done in 4 seasons.  

The show barely spent time exploring Sheila's adjustment to being a zombie before it moved on to being about killing a new person each week to eat, barely exploring that before moving on to Joel killing as well, barely spent time exploring that before having another zombie show up for Sheila to interact with and share knowledge with, didn't even spend a whole episode on that before he was dead, etc etc.  

So on top of basically bad writing, the cast doesn't shine either.  Both of the main kids are great, actually, but Barrymore and Olyphant are not.  Barrymore was interesting in the first episode or 2 as she adjusted to her knew life, but has been one-note ever since, spouting out the ridiculous dialogue they write for her and acting so nonchalant about everything.  And Olyphant is simply not a good comedy actor.  He's been great in dramas and was OK in a small role on The Office, but as a leading comedy man here he just falters all the time.

On top of all that, as I predicted the storyline where they try to figure out the cause of her condition is soooooooo draaaaaagggggggged out, moving a snail's pace while everything else in the show breezes by.  Actually, they've been inconsistent with the timeline as well, with some episodes simultaneously referring to events to prior episodes as "a few weeks ago" in one storyline, and "the other night" in another storyline.  Sloppy!

Poor show, don't waste your time!

Star Trek TNG - Manhunt

An episode with virtially no plot at all. Troi's mum comes to the Enterprise suffering from Betazoid menopause which causes her to be horny as hell. She sets her sights on Picard who, instead of telling her that he's not interested, flees to the holodeck and a Dix Hill story that goes nowhere.

Watchable, only just, because of some fun character scenes. (Say what you want about Majel Barret, she does always bring the house down)

Bad episode though.

Nope. Why would anyone think that?

Actually most of the mediocre episodes of  TNG and even some of the bad ones have their charm. 

Doing the Lwaxana Troi ones today. Most of them mediocre, but entertaining. If you feel in the mood for broad, farcical nonsense.

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

What? No!

You do! Admit it!

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

Marcy watched it and liked it, said it was "very romantic".

Well, it's more about the hardships of being the queen or ... being the husband of the queen.

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

I have no interest.

The Crown is next!

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Alex is only watching it because it has Clara from Doctor Who, Jason.

She certainly is pleasing to the eye.

Related image

Apparently the real Victoria wasn't pretty at all.

I liked The Crown. It's pretty much a really nicely dressed soap though. Generally great production all around, except for maybe the score, but even that has its moments in context.