What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

Caddyshack isn't funny anymore though (like Airplane). Benidorm polished the [floating] turd gag up for 21st century audiences. 

It doesn't even suit their general approach to humour, it's a typical 'let's put that gag nobody remembers from old Chevy Chase movie in' move. I may look at these things too academically but i find all those early to mid 80's movies like 'Trading Places' or 'Top Secret' or the John Hughes ones terrific, even if i can see a that stuff in them is dated today but so will 'Louis CK', 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' blablabla. They all evolve from another. 

As for broads that don't get ZAZ humour: fuck 'em!

I watched the first two episodes of something called The Expanse tonight, reliable old Tom Jane was one of the characters. Sci-fi set in space; some of the dialogue was a bit ropey and the characterisation rather cliché (standardised archetypes of the genre present and correct); the direction lacked a little focus in the pilot... yet there's still the sniff of potential about it all at this early stage, I can sense it. Three decent threads to follow at the start, but it's the bigger picture which seems full of intrigue (there's rumblings of war). Oh I'm watching all of this one, and it's just been renewed!

KBQZCH9.jpg

The actual Netflix promo image on the selection carousel makes it look rubbish. No way would I have bothered with this if it weren't for DenofGeek's recommendation. 

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events - Episode 1

Pretty underwhelming so far.  Some of Snicket's (or whatever the author's real name is) wit remains but the gorgeous set design and cinematography of the first movie is replaced with flat greenscreened CG backdrops and Thomas Newman's eclectic score is replaced by a perfunctory rehashing of the comedic music from Fantastic Beasts.

The most disappointing thing however, is Count Olaf.  Say what you want about about Jim Carrey's performance, but its over the top theatricality was a far better fit for the character than Neil Patrick-Harris' underwhelming sissy performance.  He's just too nice, like somebody playing a villain at Disneyland.  

2 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events - Episode 1

Pretty underwhelming so far.  Some of Snicket's (or whatever the author's real name is) wit remains but the gorgeous set design and cinematography of the first movie is replaced with flat greenscreened CG backdrops and Thomas Newman's eclectic score is replaced by a perfunctory rehashing of the comedic music from Fantastic Beasts.

The most disappointing thing however, is Count Olaf.  Say what you want about about Jim Carrey's performance, but its over the top theatricality was a far better fit for the character than Neil Patrick-Harris' underwhelming sissy performance.  He's just too nice, like somebody playing a villain at Disneyland.  

Heh, we just finished the second episode. The second episode is an improvement over the first but it's definitely not as good as I'd hoped it would be.  Oh well. 

The OA.

Even though nobody here has talked about it (except Jay) it's one of the better TV series of the moment. In a way, it's Strangers Things, but a lot more clever, and less juvenile.

the-oa-trailer-2-1070x669.png

I truly hope they'll make another season. 8/10

Alex

Is that the one with the ghostly girl walking towards suburbia on the Netflix promo screen? I reluctantly added that to my queue a while ago (another one where the image and description put me off but I'd read about it somewhere), but I doubt I'll get around to it any time soon. There's just too much already backed up. 

We ended up loving it and I should have written about it here when it was fresh in my mind. At first I wasn't sure how much I liked it, but the fact that it's been a month and I still think about it a lot says a lot about its quality. I think I enjoyed Stranger Things more while I was watching that, but I never think about it any more and can barely remember any episode plots, just the overall story. With The OA everything is still vivid and we will likely rewatch it before Season 2 if it gets one. 

14 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Have you seen the film? It's great. The trailers for this just seemed off. I'll still check it out at some point. 

This. In terms of personality, production design and score, the film really hit the mark for me. Pity it didn't click as well as it could have with the mainstream. It seems to have the strange reputation of being a "disappointment" or a "failure".

Everything about this TV show seems a little watered down for my tastes. And what I've seen of NPH in the role doesn't quite seem right. Will check it out soon though.

Yes. 

Alex wants everything to be premium TV, and can't turn his brain off sometimes and enjoy popcorn entertainment. 

Well, since we're done with Star Trek, we're bingewatching Cheers. It's neat how many guest stars from 80s TV I can recognize from later shows, like TNG, Seinfeld, etc. 

Okay, Stranger Things is a throwback at '80s Spielbergian family entertainment (read: for kids but also watchable for some parents)  with a dose of lightweight 'horror' but the content wasn't exactly absorbing or intriguing. Everything was too nice, clean and homaging. I only endured it because the kid liked it. I want to go forwards, not backwards.

We watched True Detective's second season again recently.

I've seen season 1 a number of times, but haven't revisited 2 much until now. My impression at the time was that it was clunky and by almost any measure inferior to the first season, but still better than your average television programming, with most chance of fair judgements tarnished by comparisons with the tightness of the preceding season.

That's mostly how I still feel. It is definitely clunky, and has moments of absolute absurdity. But it also boasts some fabulous setpieces (John Adams' presence always helps), and I don't think the performances have any missteps, considering the material the cast was given.

One thing that succeeds more with me this time around is the atmosphere and tone, but that's purely a matter of preference. Season 1 was brilliantly oppressive and bleak and mundane in its handling of the setting of South Sticksville, USA, but it was almost off putting how well that was done. It's a tough watch. By contrast, the noirish, somewhat suave LA vibe presented in season 2 is more palatable to me - a little more fantastical and phantasmagoric, which fits with the other changes in tone. For me this is enough to forgive the moments where things falter a bit.

The sense of paranoia and desperation that mounts in the final episodes is quite impressive, as well.

It would be a shame if the decline in quality here is responsible for killing a series with vast, still untapped potential.

Season 2 is still a fantastic piece of television to me. I was just thinking about it the other day actually, which made me want to revisit the series (only seen each season once).

Sure the plot is convoluted, but those first three episodes and those last two episodes are ace. Or maybe I just have a soft spot for anything starring Colin Farrell.