What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's a television show, Stefan.  Can't you google things you've never heard of instead of acting all bewildered?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drunk_History

I love how you bash for for something and than provide me with a helpful link.

Why would you compare those two shows out of all shows you could compare? Interesting choice. 

We watched the whole OA season over such a short time, I don't really remember what happened in what episode. So what happened in ep 3 that made it better than ep 1 and 2 for you? 

The host is good at interacting with the storytellers too, and the reenactors really do fun things with their lip syncing. 

I've never heard of it, so possibly not.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Why would you compare those two shows out of all shows you could compare? Interesting choice. 

The parallel was potential for greatness. Some shows require a degree of dedication before their real quality is revealed. I know people who didn't make it past the first couple of episodes of TD because it was initially "too slow", and I can imagine some viewers struggling with The OA for the same reason.

Jason, the most recent episodes I saw involved test chambers, and birds and fish being eaten.

The OA isn't True Detective Season 1 level good. 

Have you had the turkey sandwich scene yet? That was great. 

Yes that was last night.

There are some disappointing issues with the dialogue in The OA which I have issues with, so it can't really achieve true greatness anyway, at least in its first season. Assuming there are to be more.

Oh it's clear the writers planned a big story and season 1 is just one part of it. It'll probably be renewed. 

17 hours ago, petaQ said:

Drunk History is a fun show. It looks like it was fun to write and film, and it's fun to watch. Even if it's BS, who cares. 

Fun to film, but probably not fun at all the next day. Hilarious to watch though.

Image result for angie tribeca cast

Angie Tribeca Season 1

Quite enjoyed this show!  It is very much a Naked Gun / Police Squad homage, or maybe better described as a pretty original show that uses the same comedy stylings as the ZAZ team did in the 80s.  Every single episode made me laugh a lot, and I enjoyed the parade of guest stars (Bill Murray, James Franco, Gene Simmons, Danny Trejo, Lisa Kudrow, Gary Cole, Jeff Dunham, Sarah Chalke, Adam Scott, David Koechner, Amy Smart, Kerri Kenney, Keegan-Michael Key, Cecily Strong, etc)  But the main cast is entirely excellent, especially Jere Burns as the police chief, Deon Cole (yea, the Conan guy) as the partner, and Alfred Molina is seriously hilarious every time he pops up as the lab guy.  Hayes MacArthur seemed miscast at first, but I grew to like his as the season went on.

Angie Tribeca Season 2

I think this season was a bit of a step down from the first, though at least they tried.  Rather than doing another batch of standalone episodes, they tried this huge overarcing plot about political corruption that frankly didn't work out as well as they hoped it would, I think.  The season was still funny, and its still one of the best comedies on TV, but the later half of the season go so bogged down with plot machinations they didn't have as much room for random comedy.  One part that did work was the recurring character played by Heather Graham - she was great on Scrubs, and was great here too!!

Once again there's a bunch of great guest stars (James Franco, Jon Hamm, Busy Philipps, Rhys Darby, Kevin Pollak, Danny Pudi, Maya Rudolph, Noah Wyle, Jonathan Frakes, Daniel Stern, Michaela Watkins, Ed Begley Jr., etc), and the main continues to shine.  I enjoyed the more screen time Andrée Vermeulen got this year, and the storyline with her, Geils, and Tribeca was a good one.  I didn't like the new opening credits; I hope they return to the original ones for Season 3!

I never got into Scrubs (which to some was also Zucker-esque). Is this similar to that then? 

I'd love a new Police Squad style show which really gets the silliness right. 

I would not say its very similar to Scrubs, no.  There's no narration, the characters are less cartoony, the setting is constantly changing, and the screentime is spent more on the cases than the character's relationships with each other.  Police Squad! truly is the best show to liken it to.  This should tell you all you need to know

Here's a random scene I randomly found to show how the show will take a joke and ratchet and ratchet it up

the-night-of-john-stone-eczema-shoes.jpg (900×506)

The Night Of

Started out FANTASTIC, fizzled out fairly quickly.  The first episode is certainly one of the best and most well done television episodes of 2016, full of twists and turns, great acting, and an intriguing premise.  Unfortunately, it doesn't take long for things to begin to draaaaaag out after that, characters to make stupid, nonsensical decisions, and the focus to shift on way less interesting things that the first episode would lead you to think the show would be about.  The show also spend WAYYYYYY too much time focusing on John Turturro's foot problems, sheesh!

The absolute best character was the detective played by Bill Camp!  I hadn't seen this actor before and he was so so good in his role, especially in the first few episodes.  It was crazy that they didn't find anything for him to do the entire middle of the season, but at least he got involved a lot at the end again.  The next best character was the DA played by Jeannie Berlin, a pretty interesting character I thought.  The female lawyer who gets the hots for Nasir was such a stupid storyline, and all the prison crap with Michael Kenneth Williams got way too much screentime and was way too predictable and cliched.

Overall a mixed bag that starts out AMAZING, gets borderline craptacular for the whole middle, and is pretty much saved by a pretty decent finish.  I think if the creative team can come up with a great, more focused storyline for season 2 with another great cast, HBO could have something pretty special here.

cbsfvnvwcaa4xju.jpg (600×338)

Another show that started out pretty good but devolved into crappiness, that was almost saved by the final episode.  This show has a great premise, high enough production values, and fairly focued individual episodes, but doesn't end up being more than the sum of its parts, in fact its pretty forgettable in the end.  I think they could have done a lot more with the premise than they did, especially exploring the alternate reality.  Oh well.

On 01/02/2017 at 7:44 PM, Quintus said:

Okay that's enough for me to trial it. 

Trialled it. First episode was funny, really enjoyed it. The second one I didn't laugh once. Damn it! So yeah, show ejected. 

It became unfunny even faster than Community did, which is actually pretty impressive. 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Star Trek TNG! Started with Times Arrow pt 1 and 2, then I Borg. Onto Cause And Effect now!

Star Trek is better than everything!

When I get the bluray set I think I'm gonna hold my nose and actually re-watch seasons 1 and 2.  It's been like 15 years since I watched any of those.  I guess it's time.

Just now, Stefancos said:

There are a few good ones in season one, and season 2 is surprisingly watchable

I remember liking the doctor who replaced Crusher for just season 2, maybe more than Beverly.  Is that a weird opinion for a TNG fan to have?  I honestly don't know how other people generally feel about her.

21 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Trialled it. First episode was funny, really enjoyed it. The second one I didn't laugh once. Damn it! So yeah, show ejected. 

It became unfunny even faster than Community did, which is actually pretty impressive. 

Well if the pattern holds, then you'll laugh a lot at episode 3, then!  Looking it up on IMDB I see its the one with Sarah Chalke, and you can't go wrong there!

Image result for Sarah Chalke

As in the 'a hearty well done BBC1, for taking a punt on a Saturday night drama that isn't fucking Casualty for a change' Taboo? 

I'm watching it and loving it ... it's a dark and heady melodramatic stew, with a killer cast and content more akin to a midweek BBC2 drama (nearly fell off my sofa at the episode that contained an uncensored 'c-bomb' being uttered).   

On 3.2.2017 at 10:45 PM, Stefancos said:

There are a few good ones in season one, and season 2 is surprisingly watchable

You exaggerate.

On 3.2.2017 at 10:56 PM, Stefancos said:

People seem to hate Pulaski, i liked her.

Me too.

1486134642_serie-tv-santa-clarita-diet-streaming.jpg (674×1000)

Santa Clarita Diet 1x01 So Then a Bat or a Monkey

I wasn't won over by this one, not at all.  Maybe the era of everything Netflix creates being superb is over, and now we're in the phase where they are throwing their new found money at a variety of projects to see what sticks.

I mean jeez, this episodes contains Drew Barrymore, Timothy Olyphant, Nathan Fillion, and Andy Richter!  What attracted them to this project other than the Netflix name?  Maybe its not just not a show for me, or it gets better later....

Anyways in case you know nothing about it, its basically about a suburban couple (Barrymore & Olyphant) with a teenage daughter whose lives turn upside down when she turns into some kind of zombie overnight and begins to crave human flesh.  I mean I guess she's not really a zombie because she talks fine and can live a more or less normal life, she just doesn't bleed any more when cut and prefers raw meat over anything else.  Its supposed to be some kind of mystery where down the season I'm sure we'll find out what caused it but I can't say I'm on the edge of my seat about it.  My wife liked it more than me so we'll probably finish the season (its only 10 episodes).

Doesn't sound like my kind of show, but you're forgetting that one episode is often not enough to make a proper determination. 

I watched the first two Ash Vs Evil Dead episodes last night, it's a bite-sized half hour a time type deal. Which in this instance is ideal! At first I was like, uh-oh, this is too cartoony; director Sam Rami didn't bother to build up any sort of tension or suspense in the pilot, throwing everything at the screen all at once - the return of the deadites fully revealed after what felt like 10 minutes, and I was disappointed by that approach. It was hammy as hell in his 45 min episode... yet I couldn't help but have fun. And then episode 2 took a noticeable step up and I became dedicated. A very silly, claret soaked demon action fest (novel kills galore) which so far even manages to feels quite epic, which I wasn't expecting at all. 

This will fill the void left by the crap Walking Dead show. 

Better than the 2013 movie remake. 

Star Trek: DS9 - Prodigal Daughter

Bog standard Star Trek dysfunctional family episode. Feels out of place in DS9's 7th season, but would feel right at home if it was done in 2 or 3. 

Substandard, but still a decent distraction.

Santa Clarita Diet 1x02 We Can't Kill People!

More of the same as the pilot, really.  I get that they want to have some kind of mystery about what caused Barrymore's condition instead of just saying that's that and not worrying about it, but that tactic will only work out if its really rewarding when revealed because 2 episodes in and that plot point is moving at an absolute snail's pace.  It's always great to see Patton Oswalt but he was pretty much wasted here.  The daughter and neighbor boy are far more interesting characters than the main couple.

Unless the writers have good ideas up their sleeve they are deliberately holding back, I doubt it.  Its not really funny enough AND has too much dramatic plot to be watched as just a comedy, so you have to really follow along and buy into everything, and I just don't care much about these characters or their situation.  Do I really want to watch a show about a couple who kills new strangers each week to feed the zombie mom?  Is that an idea that will last seasons and find lots of comedic potential to mine?   So far, I doubt it.

Forgot to mention that Joseph LoDuca returned to do the music for the Evil Dead show, and it's awesome. His original themes are present and correct: Linda's love theme, the doomed fanfares from Armies of Darkness, and Ash's cool heroic motif from the same movie...  all rearranged and worked into the newer material. A big part of the fun for me so far has been spotting all that stuff. 

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Star Trek: DS9 - Prodigal Daughter

Bog standard Star Trek dysfunctional family episode. Feels out of place in DS9's 7th season, but would feel right at home if it was done in 2 or 3. 

Substandard, but still a decent distraction.

Prodigal Daughter serves two functions. The new character Ezri Dax needs a few character building eps so we care about her, beyond the episodes they spent at the start of the season to get Jadzia Dax into Sto-Voh-Kor. Secondly, it closes the hanging plot thread of that Orion Syndicate guy, Nick Tate, that O'Brien befriended, and I recognize him from the first season of Lost as well as TNG's Final Mission. 

I slept through most of this episode because it's dull like Ezri.

Honor Among Thieves wasnt exactly a stand out episode, so doing a follow-up on it was hardly a priority. And I like Ezri, but there's no real need to meet her family if all they turn out to be were a bunch of soal opera cliches.

Apparently this was rushed through after another plot idea didnt work out and even the producers knew it didnt work. Ira Steven Behr actually apologized to Nicole DeBoer for it.