What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Pig fucker?

That was so ridiculous. The show can be quite stupid sometimes. Even if you like Black Mirror, Steef, I think you will agree with me when I said it often is too on the nose, too unbelievable and maybe even too predictable (depends on how familiar you are with sci-fi shorties).

Yeah. I always said they were far too premature with the coupling up on that show. The 'will they won't they' gimmick always works wonders for these US sitcoms. 

On 1/7/2016 at 2:55 PM, Jay said:

On 1/7/2016 at 7:02 PM, nightscape94 said:

TNT?  Pass.  This needs premium levels of gore and nudity.

TNT has passed!

Hopefully it finds a home, would love a great horror anthology series.  Masters of Horror a few years ago was terrible.

Ergo Proxy

ergo-proxy-wallpaper-re-l-ergo-proxy-574

A Matrix-influenced sci-fi mystery actioner that is terrifically entertaining at times, deeply satisfying at others, but also annoyingly inconsistent with how the story is told and paced.  Character motivations and personalities suffer from the same discordant flow, but I still recommend it as it has more ups than downs.

Oh, yeah I finished it.  I definitely enjoyed it. I liked the main characters, but I thought others were not that well fleshed out. Alex certainly had a presence, but he didn't have much to do and felt he was wasted.  There were other characters whose story lines just faded, like Tatiana, who started out very interesting, and I figured she would continue to be developed, but then just flatlined. Then you have someone like Sophia who was steadily and consistently developed through its entirety.

The main story itself was interesting, I liked the way it introduced the world through character and action throughout each episode, while still giving it an air of mystery. You sorta had to figure out the rules as you went along, which was enjoyable. However, the pacing was somewhat ungraceful and sometimes unnecessarily rushed. In a way, a handful of additional episodes would have given it some more breathing room, especially since some of the story elements are still perplexing.

I even watched another show in between that I didn't eve review here, Gate, if only because I doubted most people would care about that type of show.  Here are some brief thoughts on that:

H0pqaWxPnWFRAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Probably the most unabashedly military-loving show I've seen. Interesting concept of converging the medieval fantastical with the modern realistic, which created some neat moments (with underlying humor), such as scenes between mythical creatures engaging present-day aircraft fighters in battle.  For the most part it can be a bit too clean in terms of how perfectly portrays the political and the military aspects (which straddles a line near propaganda), but it didn't detract from my overall enjoyment.  This is not a show I would ever recommend to anyone who doesn't already watch anime (which was my original hesitation to mention it here).

There is a harem element but it was mercifully tame and never became too obnoxious, but there is one romanticized type of relationship that is borderline creepy, but thankfully they don't go too overboard with it.

Honestly, I was a surprised by the maturity of the show. Going in, I thought this was going to be aimed at young teens (fun for the whole family) but it contains more violence, language, and sexuality than I was expecting, and was rated MA (mature) on my streaming service. Though, it still felt like they were trying to have it both ways.  Still, it was a lot of fun.

On 02/06/2017 at 5:46 PM, bollemanneke said:

Yes, and it urgently needs less romance stories and more nerdy behaviour for me to remain interested.

It jumped the shark as soon as they started getting married

Anyone else caught up with The Leftovers yet? Really looking forward to the series finale tonight.

House of Cards 5x01 Chapter 53

This didn't feel like a season premiere at all, since it was so mired in wrapping up that terrorist subplot from the end of last season that I had completely forgotten even existed.  In fact, thank god for the lengthy recap because other than the fact that Frank was running for re-election against the Republican candidate from The Killing, Claire wanted to leave him but came back but is sleeping with the guy from Boardwalk Empire, and Meachum died, I didn't remember a damn thing about last season.  So many of the show's most interesting characters are now dead or just don't show up any more, which is kind of a bummer.

So anyway, not that interesting or exciting of an episode, really.  I liked the opening fakeout, where you think Claire is talking to us like how the last season ended, but she wasn't.  I was surprised how long it took for Frank to talk to us, but I guess that's actually pretty standard with the season premieres.  I wonder how long they will milk the election stuff for, and if it was still wise to not have it contained within a single season.  The Trump parallels were pretty obvious, with the travel ban and strengthened borders, etc

screen-shot-2017-06-02-at-9-54-26-pm.png

The Leftovers S3E8 - The Book of Nora

"It's just the nicer story"

Within a single hour, Lindelof, Perotta and team have managed to strip The Leftovers to its bare essentials and tell us a love story, but one with that intangible mix of love, loss, doubt, faith, fear, wonder...the perfect microcosm of everything this show has been about.

This hour has something for everyone; those looking for closure, those looking for "answers" and those looking for love.

And what I love about the end is it doesn't matter if you choose to believe Nora's story or not. It's there for those demanding an answer to the Departure. As the nun said, "it's just the nicer story". But that's beside the point. Both Kevin and Nora have finally managed to overcome what they've been struggling with to get together. We finally got to see these two broken people, become somewhat whole. And there was something beautiful about how it all played out. And that lovely shot of both Kevin and Nora (Justin Theroux and Carrie Coon were absolutely brilliant), having found true happiness, just warmed my heart.

It was a lovely short film to cap off an overwhelmingly ambitious series.

And with this hour, The Leftovers has earned its place among the greats of television. A beautiful portrait of the human condition.

I look forward to revisiting this series again soon. It's been quite the ride, and one I'll cherish.

It's not a bad idea.

Without a doubt, Breaking Bad is the superior work. But The Leftovers is just three 10-episode seasons, so it's less demanding time-wise.

Plus, it'd mean having someone here other than just Alex to discuss the show with!

Lindelof and Perrotta. You should give the show a chance Steef.

It's also a good companion piece to have if you're in a particularly emotional place. It can be taxing, but strangely therapeutic. A sort of reminder of what it means to be human.

Alex, you might be pleased to know that season 3 strikes a better balance of the first season's heavier themes and the second season's wit and confidence. 

After S2 I wasn't sure whether or not to continue with this series. But who am I kidding? Of course I will watch S3! I admit, the show doesn't always satisfy me (I have to go back and read my comments to see why)  but when it impresses, it surely impresses.

Alex - who actually enjoyed The OA somewhat better (and crazily enough, The OA might be closer to Lost than The Leftovers)

S3 will definitely be more up your alley.

S1 has the toughest material, because of how bleak it gets. But it's powerful stuff. S2 is the most accessible, as it gives some more priority to narrative/style over its darker themes, which is why I'm guessing you didn't like parts of it Alex. S3 is the best balance of both. Overall, great show, in my books.

And The Leftovers > The OA, easily. But I like both shows.

I watched the first episode of The Leftovers last year, is the local police chief who looks like a male supermodel still one of the main characters later on? His strutting around town smashed the suspension of disbelief for me, it was problematic. I always struggle to stay with shows where the casting is unbelievable, where nobody looks like a normal person. There was one I tried a few years ago, I forgot which, I brute forced my way through a few early episodes based on a recommendation, but gave up after that because I couldn't turn a blind eye to its fictional apocalypse being populated entirely by Littlewoods catalogue models. 

Quintus - expects a chief of police to look something like Roy Scheider. 

3 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Quintus - expects a chief of police to look something like Roy Scheider. 

The guy from Stranger Things looked convincing too!

It's also a pet peeve of mine. It bugged me when I was watching Terminator: Genisys and Jai Courtney, playing Kyle Reese, stripped to go into the time machine and was all toned and buff even though he was playing a guy who spend his whole life in a warzone.

1 hour ago, KK said:

S3 will definitely be more up your alley.

S1 has the toughest material, because of how bleak it gets. But it's powerful stuff. S2 is the most accessible, as it gives some more priority to narrative/style over its darker themes, which is why I'm guessing you didn't like parts of it Alex. S3 is the best balance of both. Overall, great show, in my books.

And The Leftovers > The OA, easily. But I like both shows.

I'm still hoping for a spin-off show with the priest from The Leftovers. I mean, if Gilligan can do it with Better Call Saul ...

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I wouldn't get to excited about it!

Are you kidding me?  Every season of Curb has been A+ comedic television and I have no reason to expect Season 9 will have any kind of dramatic quality dropoff.

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

There was one I tried a few years ago, I forgot which, I brute forced my way through a few early episodes based on a recommendation, but gave up after that because I couldn't turn a blind eye to its fictional apocalypse being populated entirely by Littlewoods catalogue models. 

You thinking about Riverdale mate?

But yes, Justin Theroux is one of the main characters of the show. And while I see what you're getting at, he is really great in this show. He plays his character with great sensitivity, the kind that's the antithesis of the sort of male model type you mention. He shines especially in the later seasons.

On 2017-6-5 at 3:00 PM, KK said:

You thinking about Riverdale mate?

But yes, Justin Theroux is one of the main characters of the show. And while I see what you're getting at, he is really great in this show. He plays his character with great sensitivity, the kind that's the antithesis of the sort of male model type you mention. He shines especially in the later seasons.

I know it probably seems petty to you, but does he at least stop wearing the uniform later on? Because it was a bit YMCA for me. Sorry, I assure you I'm not just teasing you here, it's just that aesthetics in the costumes are just as important to me as the broader visuals and dialogue. Maybe I'll give Leftovers a second attempt. 

No, he is not always in uniform. In fact, the uniform is almost entirely phased out in the 2nd and 3rd season.

Not that it'll really matter once you get into the show. There is so much more thrown at you, for better or for worse.

And it can be tempting to dismiss Theroux as a "pretty boy" over a serious actor. But from what I've seen in this show, he's absolutely brilliant. The Leftovers wouldn't be nearly as effective without his sensitive, endearing portrayal of his flawed character.

Curious to hear your thoughts Lee, if you decide to check it out, that is.

5 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Are you planning on watching the second "season" at some point?

Not planning, but not avoiding either.  I'm sure I'll get to it, but there're just so many other shows I want to get to first that spike my interest more.

5 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Hey, always assume at least one person is interested by what you write about various shows!

Have you seen Gate?  If so, opinion?

12 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

For @nightscape94

Sunrise to Co-Produce Live-Action Cowboy Bebop TV Series

A Prison Break producer and the writer of Thor: The Dark World... Oh, my...

giphy.gif

I'm not rooting for it fail, I just don't know how a stylistically animated show with hyper-real character designs, choreography, and movement, will translate to live action.  It'll probably end up looking like a Firefly remake.  The anime had a certain kinetic energy that just can't be replicated in live action.

I did find this interesting, though:

"The (anime) director also said he had no interest in creating an animated Cowboy Bebop sequel unless "I thought I could do better [than] last time. If I feel that way, I might make more but I don't know when that would happen."

Someone please convince him that he can do a bit better!  Maybe not a lot, but a smidge!