What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

5 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

If I recall correctly we definitely have some disagreements about season 2, but I will certainly agree that season 4 felt underwhelming.  I actually liked the whole set up with the metal bending military faction trying to usurp power.  I had been waiting for a great earth-bending baddy.  But when all was said and done, it was quite as dynamic as season 3.

I agree that, although I loved it, the last romantic pairing seemed a bit underdeveloped.  I would have loved for them to just commit to it and go for it all the way.  According to an interview I read with the creators, the studio did not inter with this and were supportive, so I wonder why they held back.

Oh yeah the plot and action were great, it's the character development that got put on the back burner that made the season suffer, for me. I had assumed that Nickelodeon interfered with the romantic angle but since you say they didn't it makes it all the more confusing. There was some budding development of it in Season 3 but then it's completely ignored until the very last scene. Even then, nothing about it is directly romantic at all. It's like, hey we're friends and I like you lets go spend time together and hold hands. Felt supremely childish for such a mature show overall. 

I've watched the first three and I could see potential in it (it suited my TV sci-fi sensibilities more than the other readily available options, for one), but I put it on hold for some of other show I was watching with my wife at the time and am yet to return to it. I fully mean to though. Damn this endless train of high quality TV, its bloomin' impossible to keep up with. 

The reactions I read for the season, particularly the last few episodes, were really promising. Check out DenofGeek.com

I saw the first episode and found something about it totally off. Had no interest in watching more, but the repeated mentions here make me wonder if I should give it another try.

Local Netflix finally has the second season of Helix, so I've been watching that (about halfway through now). Don't remember what exactly I ended up thinking about the first one except that it had some goofy parts but generally enough good ideas to make me see season 2. Looks like this one might leave me with similar thoughts (except that it's the last one).

I possibly felt the same 'off-ness' about aspects of the pilot as you did (I typed some of by reservations up here at the time). But I plodded on, intrigued by the world building I'd gotten a taste of, and I definitely started to get into the storyline after more episodes. 

6 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Has anyone checked out The Expanse?

I'm considering giving it a go, but I hate committing time to shows that suck.

I watched the first episode, but I couldn't really get into it.

7 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Have you watched the movie yet?

I have not.  In the timeline I believe it takes place right before the last few episodes.  I'll get around to it at some point, but since it doesn't seem to change the narrative or the outcome I don't feel a particular rush to go watch it.

I'll probably end up picking up the blu ray at some point, but I have too much stuff to get through!

By the way, this has been on my ipod ever since I finished the show.  Killer stuff.

Watching the pilot, the international cut.

Right away, before Dale Cooper is introduced Michael Otkean makes his mark by giving a very straight forward and toned down performance during the initial scenes around Laura's death. This works because most if the other actors either go for melodrama (Wise and Piper Laurie) or quirky (Jack Nance)

I think possibly one of the reasons he never really got into an acting career is because he wasn't really all that great at it. He was a sportsman first, after all. Still, he's perfect as Sheriff Truman. 

I'm hoping Robert Forster is literally taking over the same role rather than them writing him a new one. Because he'd be perfect too, and it'd be seamless. They already did it before with Donna in Fire Walk With Me; where the newer actor was actually better than Lara Flynn Boyle. 

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

I'm hoping Robert Forster is literally taking over the same role rather than them writing him a new one.

I could actually see that working. He exudes the quiet authority of Sheriff Truman in pretty much every role I've seen him in.

The international version adds some 20 minutes of footage which essentially solves the Laura Palmer murder just in case the show never made it past this pilot.

While fascinating to watch for curiosity sake it is completely pointless in the context of the show, because the resolution differs from it. This doesnt work as a stand alone movie anyway. It wastes time on characters who have no importance in this. Without the rest of the show there's no point of having Audrey, Ed, Norma etc in this at all.

I thought the international version was the only version I've ever watched. It ends with Doctor Jacoby's hand reaching down into the ground to recover the necklace from its place of burial. 

52 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Still waiting for your Spirited Away review, by the way. ;)

I'm on vacation this week starting tomorrow, but maybe when I get back I'll do this to unwind.  This is one I really want to get to.

18 hours ago, Quintus said:

You've got less than a week to be ready! 

I am ready, except I'll probably wait until it's available on Prime. I looked it up out of curiosity and saw the original series was streaming. Buh-bye, Doctor Who.

Trying to end Walking Dead S07.

That's so boring, I skip all the scenes with characters I dont like, like Morgan.

With this series, there is no need for sleeping pills!

10 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

I am ready, except I'll probably wait until it's available on Prime. I looked it up out of curiosity and saw the original series was streaming. Buh-bye, Doctor Who.

So you have watched the original two series of it or not? Difficult to extrapolate what you mean sometimes. 

21 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

outcast-key-art_final.jpg

First episode. Kinda meh, right?

It's not just meh, Alex, it's exactly the same stuff that is advertised on every other channel. Vaguely creepy, vaguely horrific, vaguely existential, full, no doubt, of PG-13 thrills, and not an single ounce of originality. Insulting, and moribund. Avoid.

I'm only glad that they're charging 10p to watch it.

29 minutes ago, Richard said:

Vaguely creepy, vaguely horrific, vaguely existential, full, no doubt, of PG-13 thrills, 

Sounds similar to Stranger Things. I think I'll probably try it out. 

Justin is saying he is watching Twin Peaks, which is currently streaming free to Amazon Prime subscribers

Oh there are about three absolute risible subplots live at that time. Difficult to pick which was the absolute worst. 

And yet... they still play their part and now seem weirdly necessary. 

They play directly into the strong kitsch element of the broader Twin Peaks aesthetic. For every person who hates those storylines, there's seemingly an endless amount of viewers who love them, precisely because they're so awful.